Author Topic: Could OJ Mayo be Danny's next target?  (Read 11318 times)

Re: Could OJ Mayo be Danny's next target?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 05:40:36 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I could see Ainge making this type of move but not sure if Mayo is the right guy because of his attitude.  Some other guys I would consider looking into are Afflalo (playing well most of the year), Eric Gordon, and Rudy Fernandez (playing well lately) in exchange for BBD (plus 1st round pick, Bradley, or whatever is needed.)  

If Ainge doesn't mind a higher priced shooting guard maybe it brings someone like Monta Ellis or Kevin Martin into the discussion.  

If we could secure a SG of the future in the offseason or through the trading deadline next year to go along with Rondo and Green our SF of the future it will help bridge the gap of our future team as well as extend the window another year or 2.  

You could then use the Clippers pick the next year and maybe other parts to get a very solid young big.  

As mentioned BBD could be replaced with a MLE guy and the resigning of Krstic and Murphy.  

Nice ideas but I don't see the Clippers trading away Gordon or Rockets with Martin. Not sure I would want Ellis on this team, he is a scoring machine but he is a ball hog. If I was going to take anyone from Warriors it'd be Curry and put him at the 2, but that is not happening. Memphis is looking to dump Mayo and he is only 23, he can turn his career around just like some others who had attitude issues. (Pierce, Beasley, Nate)

Let's not forget that before Nate got here he was "uncoachable, had attitude problems" and came here and started learning defense and did what Doc said. I wouldn't count out Mayo just yet... some team will pick him up if Memphis puts him on the block in the off season. I just hope it's us cause if he gets his game together he could be an all star. (I did say IF he gets it together)
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
When was Jamal Crawford's prime? Is Mayo as good as Crawford now?

Mayo is mediocre as the starter at the 2 even if he's shooting well. Bad defense, mediocre playmaking, lacks explosiveness to get to the rim and draw fouls, pedestrian cutter. Limited to take jumpers over people. Can't be a big volume and efficient scorer. One or the other. And contributes with nothing noteworthy besides scoring. It's better to get him than nothing if Glen Davis is asking for too much money, but as a core pierce for the future? Not good enough.

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
I don't understand the fixation with the criticism of a "player who does not play defense." Ray Allen was not known to be a defensive player. So was PP, Nate, or any other current Celtic player (except for maybe a few). Yet, most of them has thrived in the Celtic's system. If Davis cannot be re-signed, there are other players in next year's free agent pool that can come in and play. I am sure the C's will sign him or at least, attempt to re-sign him long term. If not, a sign and trade should be able to get a decent player in return.

3 Players who are free agents next year that can be good investments:
Tyson Chandler, J.R. Smith and Roger Mason. Tyson and Smith are under 30 while Mason is only 30 y/o. I'm sure I will get plenty of criticism with that opinion.

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd rather have Avery Bradley than OJ  Mayo...

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I don't understand the fixation with the criticism of a "player who does not play defense." Ray Allen was not known to be a defensive player. So was PP, Nate, or any other current Celtic player (except for maybe a few). Yet, most of them has thrived in the Celtic's system. If Davis cannot be re-signed, there are other players in next year's free agent pool that can come in and play. I am sure the C's will sign him or at least, attempt to re-sign him long term. If not, a sign and trade should be able to get a decent player in return.

3 Players who are free agents next year that can be good investments:
Tyson Chandler, J.R. Smith and Roger Mason. Tyson and Smith are under 30 while Mason is only 30 y/o. I'm sure I will get plenty of criticism with that opinion.

Agreed. Wafer also gave birth to a defensive game. J.R. Smith and Tyson Chandler I think would be great additions next season to this team. Not sure Smith leaves Denver but why not try.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the "no defense" thing cause people say that about some players we have now but then want us to sign Murphy, who isn't known for his defense. Who knows if he also "develops" one.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd rather have Avery Bradley than OJ  Mayo...

I definitely wouldn't.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »

Offline HYPE.

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • There can only be one.
I'd rather have Monta Ellis or Anthony Morrow over OJ Mayo, but that's never going to happen.