Author Topic: Could OJ Mayo be Danny's next target?  (Read 11319 times)

Could OJ Mayo be Danny's next target?
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I posted this in another thread. but felt like making a thread for this topic .

I think Danny is going to sign and trade BBD for OJ Mayo

The Grizzlies already had a trade for McRoberts and a 1st round pick from Indiana , but the trade fell through at the last minute

They may be interested in a package like

Bos Sends: BBD and Avery Bradley or 1st rd pick

Mem Sends: OJ Mayo

Mayo has already said he would want to play with Rondo in an interview and he would be a restricted FA in 2012, so we would have the ability to match anything if we knew that Howard had no interest in signing here.

future core:

Rondo
OJ Mayo
PP
Green

Then if a superstar became available we could package Green and OJ Mayo for them

thoughts?

Re: Could OJ Mayo be Danny's next target?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
That's an horrible future core if you mean they'd all play together. An undersized 2 who can't defend his position and an undersized 4 who can't defend his position.

I don't like the idea of pairing Mayo with Rondo. As a combo guard to replace Delonte West, and if the price is Glen Davis and a first, then sure. But the Grizzlies will want more than that.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I don't think it's a bad idea to bring in Mayo. He has been having a bad year though so I'm not sure which way he is going but maybe worth it. You'll have him, Rondo and Green. I would think Green plays the 3 primarily though.

I don't know if Memphis would ask for a lot for Mayo, after all they almost traded him for McRoberts of the Pacers. I am not sure what else would have been included but after a while they might be just looking to get something in return. Davis and a 1st would probably do it.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Interesting idea, it really makes sense! Plus Danny is known for taking gambles on players with high talent but questionable attitude.

I think it's a possibility but I do wonder if the Grizzlies would agree to take on Big Baby if he inks a big, fat contract which will overpay him for years.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Would love to get Mayo now. I dont understand why Memphis was content to sell so low on him.

He certainly is struggling this year but still has big time talent. That coach over there can certainly bury a player in his doghouse.

I still like Mayo but he has failed to progress as a defender despite many reports of his considerable work ethic. Maybe its a system thing. If we can turn Ray Allen into a average to plus defender I would think we could do the same with Mayo.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I like it. Mayo has more potential upside than Davis and will make a reasonable 5.6M (or MLE money) next season. The following year the team will have a qualifying offer of 7.3M. Davis will likely be able to command more than that.

Pierce, Rondo, and Allen would be the starters. While Green (3/4) and Mayo (2/1) would be able to provide athleticism and versatility off our bench. Hopefully, we re-sign Krstic & Murphy and Shaq returns. Assuming JO retires, we use the MLE (if still available under a new CBA) to sign a big man.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
From what I have read Mayo's game has really dropped off this season and he's struggled with attitude issues which has made him a lot less appetizing to me ever since.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I hope not.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
After not accepting a move to the bench with any grace whatsoever and getting into a fight on the team plane after refusing to pay a debt and then taunting the teammate he owed the money to, I'd say it's easy to understand Memphis selling low to be done with it, especially with his replacements already locked up in TA and the rookie.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If its a sign and trade for Baby I might be into it, but Im not really fan otherwise...

A lineup of Rondo, Mayo, Pierce, Green, and Center would not be good at all. I dont like the idea of Green playing PF at all. Also, I dont like how Mayo fits into the team. He doesnt have a winners mentality, and hes and undersized guard that doesnt really have a position. He can score... Thats about it.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
TA went to Memphis. Now we're talking about shipping BBD off to Memphis. Who's next? :P

but seriously, i wouldn't mind having OJ Mayo. he's still young and can really turn it around. i wouldn't want him crippling our cap situation though. i don't think he'll ever be good enough to build around, but i think he can be a really solid starter.
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
After not accepting a move to the bench with any grace whatsoever and getting into a fight on the team plane after refusing to pay a debt and then taunting the teammate he owed the money to, I'd say it's easy to understand Memphis selling low to be done with it, especially with his replacements already locked up in TA and the rookie.

How many 23 year olds who previously started 163 out of 164 games played in in the NBA would take a diminished role well?

Listen the guy is having a rough year but he can shoot the lights out. If you can get this guy for Big Baby and make him your jamal crawford, jason terry type, I think you do it.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I posted this in another thread. but felt like making a thread for this topic .

I think Danny is going to sign and trade BBD for OJ Mayo

The Grizzlies already had a trade for McRoberts and a 1st round pick from Indiana , but the trade fell through at the last minute

They may be interested in a package like

Bos Sends: BBD and Avery Bradley or 1st rd pick

Mem Sends: OJ Mayo

Mayo has already said he would want to play with Rondo in an interview and he would be a restricted FA in 2012, so we would have the ability to match anything if we knew that Howard had no interest in signing here.

future core:

Rondo
OJ Mayo
PP
Green

Then if a superstar became available we could package Green and OJ Mayo for them

thoughts?

not a bad idea but I think trading Daniels TPE to the rockets and our 1st round pick in 2011 for terrence williams is better. Ainge could trade our pick for an early 2nd round pick (31st) which isn't different than 29th pick. We can't sign first round pick this offseason because the first 2 years must be guaranteed and Ainge won't add slary over the next 2 years.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I could see Ainge making this type of move but not sure if Mayo is the right guy because of his attitude.  Some other guys I would consider looking into are Afflalo (playing well most of the year), Eric Gordon, and Rudy Fernandez (playing well lately) in exchange for BBD (plus 1st round pick, Bradley, or whatever is needed.)  

If Ainge doesn't mind a higher priced shooting guard maybe it brings someone like Monta Ellis or Kevin Martin into the discussion.  

If we could secure a SG of the future in the offseason or through the trading deadline next year to go along with Rondo and Green our SF of the future it will help bridge the gap of our future team as well as extend the window another year or 2.  

You could then use the Clippers pick the next year and maybe other parts to get a very solid young big.  

As mentioned BBD could be replaced with a MLE guy and the resigning of Krstic and Murphy.