Poll

Will the Celts get a starting center in free agency?

Yes
21 (38.9%)
No
23 (42.6%)
All life on Earth will be destroyed before the free agency period begins
10 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Next Year's Starting Center  (Read 11863 times)

Next Year's Starting Center
« on: May 22, 2016, 12:07:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Will one of the following free agents be the starting center for the Celtics next season?

Dwight Howard
Al Horford
Hassan Whiteside
Festus Ezeli
Bismack Biyombo
Ian Mahinmi
Timofey Mozgov
Joakim Noah

It's a pretty good summer for centers who can fill a major need for the Celts. The Celts have lots of money to spend. But so do a lot of other teams.

What do you think? If yes, say which center you'd guess will most likely be it. If not, say who you think will be it instead, whether it's a trade target (eg Okafor) or an incumbent (eg Amir).
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Next Year's Starting Center
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:14:52 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I like Ezeli, but he's most likely staying with the Warriors.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:15:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I like Ezeli, but he's most likely staying with the Warriors.

Can they keep Barnes and Ezeli? My guess is both are getting maxed out this summer by somebody.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 12:15:48 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I think Horford, Biyombo, and Noah will all certainly be considered by the Celtics.

Noah would be an interesting get on an Amir-type money deal if we don't get much else going. A rotation of him and Amir at center (or at least functioning as our rim/paint protector) would be a pretty solid defensive interior presence for us.

I think we'd see Biyombo as more of a backup player than starter, but he's quickly pricing himself out of that range with his play in the playoffs.

I'm still holding out hope for the Durant/Horford pairing, as slim as the chances might be. I'd ultimately like to see Noel as the 5 (traded for with the Brooklyn pick) with Horford and Durant at the 4 and 3, respectively.

We're probably most likely ending up with either Okafor/Noel at center or someone like Noah on an Amir-type contract keeping our cap space open for next year's free agency frenzy.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:20:41 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think Joakim is the guy. He's smart, a good rebounder, great defender, excellent passer, and won't cost too much. I wouldn't be opposed to Dwight if we can get him under the max. Mahinmi would be a good backup plan, and Mozgov would be cheap and a great reclamation project.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 12:25:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I've always loved Noah but I'm afraid he has nothing left on offense. Not sure this team can carry a 45% finisher with no range at center. Especially if, God forbid, they bring back Sullinger.

Maybe Brad can rejuvenate his game in a system with ball movement and space but I dunno.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 12:27:55 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
I've always loved Noah but I'm afraid he has nothing left on offense. Not sure this team can carry a 45% finisher with no range at center. Especially if, God forbid, they bring back Sullinger.

Maybe Brad can rejuvenate his game in a system with ball movement and space but I dunno.

He can come off from the bench with Amir as our primary center.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 12:29:55 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

If he's willing to split time with Amir, then I'm willing to take a chance on him. He's not going to be massively expensive. If Danny thinks he's done, then many of the other guys you listed are good options. I'd be thrilled if Danny took shot on Mozgov. Do you remember how awesome he was at the end of last year?  If we can get that caliber of player for pennies, then that would be a coup.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 12:57:36 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Ian Mahinmi could be the guy. Had a great season in Indy, and we should be able to sign him for a lot cheaper than a big name like Dwight.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 01:00:50 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

If he's willing to split time with Amir, then I'm willing to take a chance on him. He's not going to be massively expensive. If Danny thinks he's done, then many of the other guys you listed are good options. I'd be thrilled if Danny took shot on Mozgov. Do you remember how awesome he was at the end of last year?  If we can get that caliber of player for pennies, then that would be a coup.

I wonder if Brad would really like a pure center like mozgov or Howard or Mahinmi.  Not sure a guy with no range, passing, or advanced post game fits in this offense. But I guess we haven't had a guy like that here in brads time.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 01:14:35 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601

I wonder if Brad would really like a pure center like mozgov or Howard or Mahinmi.  Not sure a guy with no range, passing, or advanced post game fits in this offense. But I guess we haven't had a guy like that here in brads time.

Joel Anthony and Brendan Wright :D

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 01:17:29 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Kelly Olynyk.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 01:23:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Kelly Olynyk.

I think we're in trouble if that's the case.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 01:23:44 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Kelly Olynyk.

If so, is Biyombo the ideal paint-protecting big that you can stick next to KO?

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 01:56:09 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Will one of the following free agents be the starting center for the Celtics next season?

Dwight Howard
Al Horford
Hassan Whiteside
Festus Ezeli
Bismack Biyombo
Ian Mahinmi
Timofey Mozgov
Joakim Noah

It's a pretty good summer for centers who can fill a major need for the Celts. The Celts have lots of money to spend. But so do a lot of other teams.

What do you think? If yes, say which center you'd guess will most likely be it. If not, say who you think will be it instead, whether it's a trade target (eg Okafor) or an incumbent (eg Amir).

None of these gentlemen looks likely.

Horford seems to be hinting that he will stay put, and why would he leave?  It's a great situation. Not incidentally, they destroyed the Celtics in the playoffs.

The other player who's a good fit for Celtics basketball on this list is Noah. He'd be perfect, in fact - except for his knees. The shoulder injury/surgery ended what was already a subpar season. He's 31, young to be breaking down, but I would not bet on that body. He's out of phase with Boston's young team; if he were young, or if his his health were less uncertain, signing him would make sense. Neither is the case.

Riley said in his press conference that signing Whiteside was their priority. Sounds like the money is there for him. A volatile, unpredictable character, but staying is the obvious best choice for him.  I'd give it better than a snowball's chance in hell that he winds up in Beantown.

What's with Mozgov? Never exactly nimble, his lateral quickness took a dive this season. Could it have been the meniscus surgery last summer?  Minutes and rebrates are down, and he isn't finishing well with contact. Strained his deltoid, too. Can't get on the floor in the playoffs, even though they're blowing opponents out. I could go on, but he isn't better than the guys that the Celtics already have.

Dwight... not gonna happen, even if he does wake up to the reality of his situation. It'll certainly be interesting to see where he winds up - since his very public dissatisfaction does not sound like a negotiating position; and if I were his agent I'd tell him that he's not helping.

Etc.

Most likely the starting center for Boston next year is an incumbent. I don't share people's misgivings about Cousins, but it looks as though sacking their coach was a clear sign that they're keeping him.