Author Topic: Danny Ainge: “Quit being sensitive”  (Read 5939 times)

Re: Danny Ainge: “Quit being sensitive”
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 10:01:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Seems like a GM trying to cover up some real issues on his team and in the process basically calls his team sensitive, whiny, and immature.

Quit being sensitive

:P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:46 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Simmons at his best is not much better than most of the people here.

Love the DA quote, and Simmons at his "basketball analyzing best" is notably worse than at least several posters here. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 11:03:47 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Danny just tactfully telling them all to grow a pair  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 11:57:26 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
LOL funny but it's true, the world and the NBA is much different from DA's playing days.

If there are deeply rooted locker room issues telling them to 'man up' isn't going to solve anything. I'm not saying there are locker room issues but if there are that's not going to cut it.

The Toronto win was nice but it'll be a while before I'm convinced that this team realistically has any chance of being a championship contender or even a shot of going anywhere in the playoffs.

Let's see what the next 10 games brings us.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I thought it was meant more towards CelticsStrong members than anyone else.

I think it was to Kyrie all the way and perhaps Brown and Hayward.

I was listening live and it didn't come off like it was directed at the players.  Ainge completely downplayed the "drama" and made a joke about an incident between him and Bill Walton. 

He also said that he's never traded a player due to off-court chemistry issues.  It's always been about how the pieces fit on the court.

But he did tell Keith Bogans to go home.

I'm not one to wax nostalgic for the time when basketball was more physical and I generally think any take that starts with "in my day" is tainted in some way. But I agree 100% with what Ainge said here.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I was listening live and it didn't come off like it was directed at the players.  Ainge completely downplayed the "drama" and made a joke about an incident between him and Bill Walton. 

He also said that he's never traded a player due to off-court chemistry issues.  It's always been about how the pieces fit on the court.

I didn't hear it live, but in print it clearly did not read as being directed at players.  Not sure how anyone would have that take.

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I didn't hear it live, but in print it clearly did not read as being directed at players.  Not sure how anyone would have that take.

Its to the media, it doesnt make sense for him to criticize his players, danny is never gonna do something that will lower the value of his players.

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Its to the media, it doesnt make sense for him to criticize his players, danny is never gonna do something that will lower the value of his players.

Agree completely.  It was to media and bloggers and Bill Simmons of the world.  Media who are into drama basically.  Or those like Simmons and other bloggers who are overly invested in how players behave, what they say, etc..when they're not on the court. 

On the topic of over-sensitivity.  I'm tired of the overused phrase "stunt their growth".   As in:  "I'm worried such a move will stunt the growth of player x."  Do people realize how competitive most of these guys have to be by nature to scratch and claw their way to the NBA?  Do people understand how much confidence in one's ability it takes?  Instead of wringing hands over stunting a players growth, I;d prefer to think of it more as the underfeeding of bloodthirsty shark. 

An aside for keeping players focused:  Brad should show the team the post game presser by Roy Williams, I think after the recent horrible Carolina loss at home.  Where he talks about players getting down when their shot is not falling (remember Marcus Smart talking about the same thing earlier in the year when he chided some Celtics players for this).  Williams says if a player does that they should just go and find a mommy to hug (or something like this).  In other words, if you want to win, young Celtics, contribute with your defense, intangibles, deflections, etc, and your offense is gravy on this talented team. 

...sorry went off topic a bit...

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 01:17:39 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
MAN BITES TREE!

TREE BITES MAN!!

It's so funny how people always get this backwards.  I was having a conversation about this the other day when someone nominated Ainge for his NBA Mount Rushmore of Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bags.  Ainge was such a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag out there on the court that people always assume he bit Tree Rollins.  LOL.

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
"To me, these aren't stories," Ainge said. "They're not a big deal. I mean, yes, Kyrie could have done better. Yes, Jaylen could have done better. But these are people. These are kids. These are guys playing with emotion in a glass house. They're real people with real emotions; they're not perfect and I don't ever expect them to be."

But could these overflowing emotions be the product of a "toxic" locker room?

"It only becomes toxic if guys are sensitive," Ainge responded.

" ... Everybody's so sensitive, or they think everybody's so sensitive. We live in a real sensitive society now, and all these things that we're talking about: 'Oh, you mean a veteran player called out the young guys? Oh wait, a young guy stood up for himself?'

"I mean, where is the drama? I don't understand it. Quit being sensitive. That's the story. That's my story."

I love it. Man up, buttercups. This is big boy basketball.

I mean, the guy grew up in this era:

TP just for posting those pictures -- miss those days in the NBA instead of this buddy-buddy league

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Someone Caption those pics with quit being sensitive

:P

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 07:26:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's called a joke.

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 07:30:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It's called a joke.
Whoosh!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Perhaps we need a trade to shake things up a little bit.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 08:23:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not to harp on this but I keep thinking about it and it's halftime so...

How is "this guy got under my skin so I'm gonna make veiled gripes about him to the press" a more 'sensitive' reaction than "this guy got under my skin so I'm going to literally try to strangle him"? It just feels like the guys who got upset and started swinging were being waaaaaaay more sensitive than the guys who got upset and started taking vague verbal shots in interviews.