Author Topic: What sort of package would it take to get into the top 5 of the draft?  (Read 16538 times)

Re: What sort of package would it take to get into the top 5 of the draft?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Say all 4 picks for MKG and I'm in for it. Can't see it happening, though.

No way. MKG is good, but that is just a lousy rip off.
4 picks for MKG and Kaman or 4 picks for MKG and Gordon.
If they are really greedy for draft picks we can pull off a: 4 picks for MKG, Kaman and Gordon, but I don't think so.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
This year, we have 2 first and 2 second rounders? That's a lot of space and stuff to trade.

Hypothetically, if everything goes like this: http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

I'm thinking of several options to trade with New Orleans for Gilchrist:

1 first rounder + 1 second rounder + Dooling
                     or
2 first rounders + Dooling
                     or
1 first rounder + Sean Williams + cash
                     or
all 4 pics for Gilchrist and Kaman/Gordon

The reason i chose NO is because they're the best team out of those first five, and a better team is more likely to trade a draft pick, unlike the Bobcats, Cavs, Kings and Wizards. I see no reason why they shouldn't say yes.

Isn't it just the two 1sts and one 2nd, because the Milwaukee 2nd didn't pan out?

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
This year, we have 2 first and 2 second rounders? That's a lot of space and stuff to trade.

Hypothetically, if everything goes like this: http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

I'm thinking of several options to trade with New Orleans for Gilchrist:

1 first rounder + 1 second rounder + Dooling
                     or
2 first rounders + Dooling
                     or
1 first rounder + Sean Williams + cash
                     or
all 4 pics for Gilchrist and Kaman/Gordon

The reason i chose NO is because they're the best team out of those first five, and a better team is more likely to trade a draft pick, unlike the Bobcats, Cavs, Kings and Wizards. I see no reason why they shouldn't say yes.

Isn't it just the two 1sts and one 2nd, because the Milwaukee 2nd didn't pan out?
I don't think so, but it doesn't really matter. We could manouver something.
I'm just a little worried about their new independence from the league, but we'll see.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Bradley and at least our two first rounders, possibly a first rounder for next year too.
do it

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

If they are really greedy for draft picks we can pull off a: 4 picks for MKG, Kaman and Gordon, but I don't think so.

No way you're getting Gordon alongside MKG with 4 picks. You basically take the only two building blocks they (would) have and give them four draft picks. Can't see why Hornets should be into this.
Maybe just for getting rid of Kaman, they'd agree. And I seriously doubt it.

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
Bradley and at least our two first rounders, possibly a first rounder for next year too.

No way, MKG isn't Jordan. Bradley is a part of our future, and he is to valuable to give away for a rookie. Besides, I'd hate to sentence anybody to playing for the Hornets.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday

No way you're getting Gordon alongside MKG with 4 picks. You basically take the only two building blocks they (would) have and give them four draft picks. Can't see why Hornets should be into this.

No matter how good he is, no single player is worth 2 first round and 2 second round picks.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

No matter how good he is, no single player is worth 2 first round and 2 second round picks.

I don't think he's worth it, either. But probably the demand is going to be there, you never know.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I don't think he's worth it, either. But probably the demand is going to be there, you never know.

I don't get any of this at all. Our two firsts and two seconds would never ever ever ever net us a top player in the draft. Later second round picks can usually just be had for a small fiEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l of cash. Those add nothing. Our two firsts, as others have said would probably get us something in the 15-18 range. Rondo and/or Bradley along with the two picks is probably where discussions begin...and I am perfectly happy remaining where we are.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
A top 5 pick in this draft won't come easy.  You'd probably have to trade Rondo but that certainly wouldn't be worth it.  I'm sure you could tempt some teams with a package that revolves around our two first rounders and Bradley + Stiemsma.  The development of some of our young talent this season is a big plus for this team going forward, both for the future of the team and for trading purposes.

Bradley is only 21.  Rondo, Bass, and Stiemsma are 26.  Bass has a team friendly player option and I believe the Stiemsmaniac is a restricted free agent.  There's a great chance we could come back next year with a bunch of appetizing trade chips/pieces for the future.

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday

I don't get any of this at all. Our two firsts and two seconds would never ever ever ever net us a top player in the draft. Later second round picks can usually just be had for a small fi****l of cash. Those add nothing. Our two firsts, as others have said would probably get us something in the 15-18 range. Rondo and/or Bradley along with the two picks is probably where discussions begin...and I am perfectly happy remaining where we are.
Me too, but we're just seeing our options. We are really, really lucky. Only once in a few years a team gets to have 4 picks on a single draft, especially a draft as deep as this one. I say go with all 4 and we should see what to do at training camp.

Second round picks can be worth a lot and can contain some real good players. For instance, Gilbert Arenas or Isaiah Thomas. The guy was drafted 60th and is playing great ball.

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Love MKG. Definitely would package picks to get him.

Robinson is a glorified Glen Davis. Not enough hops to succeed in the league. Not interested in him at all.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't get any of this at all. Our two firsts and two seconds would never ever ever ever net us a top player in the draft. Later second round picks can usually just be had for a small fi****l of cash. Those add nothing. Our two firsts, as others have said would probably get us something in the 15-18 range. Rondo and/or Bradley along with the two picks is probably where discussions begin...and I am perfectly happy remaining where we are.
Me too, but we're just seeing our options. We are really, really lucky. Only once in a few years a team gets to have 4 picks on a single draft, especially a draft as deep as this one. I say go with all 4 and we should see what to do at training camp.

Second round picks can be worth a lot and can contain some real good players. For instance, Gilbert Arenas or Isaiah Thomas. The guy was drafted 60th and is playing great ball.
it's 3 picks, not 4.  we're not getting the Milwaukee pick this year.  they won't finish ahead of enough teams.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Plenty of players are.

A talent like LeBron/Melo/Wade/Bosh/Duncan/Howard/etc are all easily worth that much. Especially if you expect to be good and the picks to be out of the lottery.

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday

Plenty of players are.

A talent like LeBron/Melo/Wade/Bosh/Duncan/Howard/etc are all easily worth that much. Especially if you expect to be good and the picks to be out of the lottery.

When you look at it from today's perspective, yes. But you can never know when it comes to young players in the draft. Greg Oden was one of the best prospects in the country, and look what happened to him. Portland couldn't have known of course, but mistakes like that teach GMs to be more careful in the future.

And besides, the NBA is a whole different world. A lot of second round players have turned out better than first rounders. Just look at Isaiah Thomas and Jimmer. Some rooks just can't cope with the pressure and some can. Some develop in the later years, like Avery Bradley, and some never do. That's why giving 3 or 4 picks for a single player is a great and unneeded risk for any team.