Author Topic: What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?  (Read 18090 times)

What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:55:27 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I have very little idea on drafts so my views are purely based on stuff I read and my extrapolation.

On a few sites, most prominently nbadraft.net, they seem to be saying we would be picking Trey Thompkins (PF). Nbadraft.net has Jeremy Tyler a few picks behind Trey Thompkins.

If this is true, then what reason is there for us not to pick Jeremy Tyler, who is about an inch taller, has overseas professional basketball experience and can play both bigs? Are there better picks out there? I would be really happy if they get Jeremy Tyler since he seems like the perfect fit.

Celticsblog (edit: not celticsblog) SI has a source saying insisting Reggie Jackson (a combo guard) will be picked. I am really shuddering to think that Danny Ainge would make such a move as we are extremely stacked at the guards.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:46:39 AM by bfrombleacher »

Re: What reasons are there for not picking Jeremy Tyler?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:51:50 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If he's not there when the Celtics pick.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have very little idea on drafts so my views are purely based on stuff I read and my extrapolation.

On a few sites, most prominently nbadraft.net, they seem to be saying we would be picking Trey Thompkins (PF). Nbadraft.net has Jeremy Tyler a few picks behind Trey Thompkins.

If this is true, then what reason is there for us not to pick Jeremy Tyler, who is about an inch taller, has overseas professional basketball experience and can play both bigs? Are there better picks out there? I would be really happy if they get Jeremy Tyler since he seems like the perfect fit.

Celticsblog has a source saying insisting Reggie Jackson (a combo guard) will be picked. I am really shuddering to think that Danny Ainge would make such a move as we are extremely stacked at the guards.

Not Celticsblog

SI

http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/6/14/2223733/2011-nba-draft-rumor-reggie-jackson-wont-slip-past-celtics

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/06/14/mock.draft.3/index.html

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:47:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Basketball IQ.  Athleticism isn't enough in the NBA; a player has to have instincts and smarts.  In other words, that athleticism has to translate into good basketball on the court.

So far in his career, Tyler has been benched in Israel, and was second string in Japan.  If teams pass on him, it will be because of his performance against inferior competition.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I really do not want another combo guard a la Bradley, especially when we have an All-Star in Rondo locked up for the next 4 years.

If we are drafting a raw player with potential, it has to be a big. I find it hard to believe a combo guard/swingman with such great potential will fall all the way to 25. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle late in the draft, but this team needs some thunder in the paint next season to win the championship.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:55:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Basketball IQ.  Athleticism isn't enough in the NBA; a player has to have instincts and smarts.  In other words, that athleticism has to translate into good basketball on the court.

So far in his career, Tyler has been benched in Israel, and was second string in Japan.  If teams pass on him, it will be because of his performance against inferior competition.

All of these.  Lack of maturity is a big one as well.  It may just have been bad advice, but he certainly has made some questionable decisions over the last couple years, and even if they weren't really HIS decisions, will those people still be around him?

Mostly though, the reason you don't pick him is that he is incredibly raw and very unaccomplished.  His bust potential is through the roof, and there are a bunch of other guys (Jackson included) who have a much greater chance of being NBA quality players (particularly during the rookie contract), even if they don't have the "upside" of Tyler.

Now, don't get me wrong, Tyler is at the top of my list...but there are plenty of reasons to go in a different direction.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
First off i think the season the Cs dont take him is he simply wont be there, he is going to go alot higher then alot of the experts expect.

In 2001 kwame brown was the #1 pick in the draft, if the nba didnt have an age min, then last year Tyler would have been finishing up his senior year of high school and would have been a top 10 maybe top 5 pick. Instead of a dominate senior year and then being picked out of high school he was placed on a differnt path. NBA teams will still look at his potential and someone will take him top 15.

Tyler has shown playing over seas that he is not going to be a dominate scorer in the nba, however I see Tyler having the potential to be a solid nba center 12pt 8rb 1.5 block type of player (if developed correctly)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
First off i think the season the Cs dont take him is he simply wont be there, he is going to go alot higher then alot of the experts expect.

In 2001 kwame brown was the #1 pick in the draft, if the nba didnt have an age min, then last year Tyler would have been finishing up his senior year of high school and would have been a top 10 maybe top 5 pick. Instead of a dominate senior year and then being picked out of high school he was placed on a differnt path. NBA teams will still look at his potential and someone will take him top 15.

Tyler has shown playing over seas that he is not going to be a dominate scorer in the nba, however I see Tyler having the potential to be a solid nba center 12pt 8rb 1.5 block type of player (if developed correctly)

Actually, if there wasn't an age minimum, he would have come out after his junior year in highschool, and who knows where he would have been picked (probably late first round at best).

However, if they were going by the old age limit (highschool graduating class), he probably would have gone in the second round to undrafted in last years draft, because he was coming off a nightmare of a lost season, as he skipped his senior year of highschool, went to Europe, and didn't even finish the season after barely playing. 

Someone may have taken a flyer on him in the second round, but no one would have used a first rounder on him, after that disaster of a season, and all the questions over the decision he made in general.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Didn't he average like two ppg overseas?  I know it's a different game...but it's also not as competitive

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I see no reason not to pick this kid.

If we blow a 1st round pick on a 2/3 like Giddens ... blow one on a PG like Banks ... I'm more than happy to take the risk of *potentially* missing on a true BIG man who has all the tools.

Maybe he turns out to be a lazy guy who doesn't fill his potential like Derrick Coleman. I'll take that at #25. I think we pick him if he's there.

Going through an unsuccessful, unglamorous and humbling year in Israel and then a decent one where he improved in Japan must have helped him. Humility is a good thing. He seems fairly well spoken in his NBA draft interview.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:16:52 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'd much rather take the risk of drafting him then end up in the same position we were in a couple years ago. Could of had Jordan. Everyone wanted Jorddan. We got Giddens. yuck.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551

Actually, if there wasn't an age minimum, he would have come out after his junior year in highschool, and who knows where he would have been picked (probably late first round at best).

However, if they were going by the old age limit (highschool graduating class), he probably would have gone in the second round to undrafted in last years draft, because he was coming off a nightmare of a lost season, as he skipped his senior year of highschool, went to Europe, and didn't even finish the season after barely playing. 

Someone may have taken a flyer on him in the second round, but no one would have used a first rounder on him, after that disaster of a season, and all the questions over the decision he made in general.
I think his point is he would have stayed for his senior year in high school rather then going overseas if there wasn't the 1 year role.  He left early because he wanted to try and get 2 years on a team to fit in better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Didn't he average like two ppg overseas?  I know it's a different game...but it's also not as competitive
not as competitive as what, high school? college?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I'm not totally opposed to the pick, but this guy has the POWERFUL stench of Gerald Green on him. Overpowering really.

Let's not pretend this pick is a slam dunk, because there's a 70% chance this guy stinks and a 5% chance he's great. Just like Gerald Green. And to a much lesser extent, just like JR Giddens.

Not sure how people get up in arms about the Green and Giddens picks, but want to roll the dice on this guy. Again, i'm not opposed to taking him. With late picks, there are no guarantees.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
There are other players who show more.
Mirotic, Vucevic etc. etc. etc.