Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 28353 times)

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
We don't want Russell. He isn't even as good as Terry Rozier, regardless of what popular opinion is on him right now. He is still largely inefficient and a poor defender. The Nets play Dinwiddie and Lavert over him when they are healthy. He has only put up numbers this season because they aren't.

And we definitely don't want to trade Irving for him.

22-year-old all-star to pair with Tatum and Brown is not a bad consolation prize. No one wants to trade Kyrie, but if he leaves, I hope this is the result.

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The "no Irving + no Davis"

is fun to debate, it's just that isn't how Ainge operates. Danny has his picks and "developed young players"...right? This summer is the "moment." He has more draft picks than he can get roster or cap space for this year and the next. He didn't pile up the draft capital to actually pick the players, he already did that.

Irving "dropped out of the sky." Ainge, in a manner of speaking, "had" to trade for Irving. He had to make a decision on Thomas and Crowder had some value so it postponed the "contract problem" while the young guys improved.

Ainge "traded Fultz" for Tatum and, in a perfect world, he'd be trading Tatum for Anthony Davis this summer. Got that?

At this level, you never know, but, Ainge has to go through the motions. If Irving leaves? Ainge has been prepared for this eventuality since he traded for him. Irving is a movie star and Boston isn't.

Tatum - Hayward - Brown - Smart

I don't think Danny will re sign Rozier as he will not present a "good value" in the world of point guards. I suggest Ainge would value a "distributor" for his offensive core who would be cheaper. Morris too will be gone due to cost.

Is that group on their way to a title?

No they are not. Ainge needs a "transcendent talent" and he will keep on playing his hand until he gets one. In the meantime? He has a really good team in a B- Eastern conference and the fans will be happy.

I ask for an end to the "Don't trade Tatum for one year of Davis posts" simply because you are second guessing the GM who would be "trading Markelle Fultz for Anthony Davis."

Red Auerbach has a Havana waiting to be lit up if that trade ever goes down.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The "no Irving + no Davis"

is fun to debate, it's just that isn't how Ainge operates. Danny has his picks and "developed young players"...right? This summer is the "moment." He has more draft picks than he can get roster or cap space for this year and the next. He didn't pile up the draft capital to actually pick the players, he already did that.

Irving "dropped out of the sky." Ainge, in a manner of speaking, "had" to trade for Irving. He had to make a decision on Thomas and Crowder had some value so it postponed the "contract problem" while the young guys improved.

Ainge "traded Fultz" for Tatum and, in a perfect world, he'd be trading Tatum for Anthony Davis this summer. Got that?

At this level, you never know, but, Ainge has to go through the motions. If Irving leaves? Ainge has been prepared for this eventuality since he traded for him. Irving is a movie star and Boston isn't.

Tatum - Hayward - Brown - Smart

I don't think Danny will re sign Rozier as he will not present a "good value" in the world of point guards. I suggest Ainge would value a "distributor" for his offensive core who would be cheaper. Morris too will be gone due to cost.

Is that group on their way to a title?

No they are not. Ainge needs a "transcendent talent" and he will keep on playing his hand until he gets one. In the meantime? He has a really good team in a B- Eastern conference and the fans will be happy.

I ask for an end to the "Don't trade Tatum for one year of Davis posts" simply because you are second guessing the GM who would be "trading Markelle Fultz for Anthony Davis."

Red Auerbach has a Havana waiting to be lit up if that trade ever goes down.

Eastern Conf is B-??

Where have you been?

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
We don't want Russell. He isn't even as good as Terry Rozier, regardless of what popular opinion is on him right now. He is still largely inefficient and a poor defender. The Nets play Dinwiddie and Lavert over him when they are healthy. He has only put up numbers this season because they aren't.

What? Whoa, whoa, I don't know about all that...

Per 36, Russell is averaging 24.2 PPG, 7.9 APG, and 4.5 RPG with 3P 37%, and 43.6% from FG. While the low FG/the low FTA (2.7 per 36,) has to be worrisome, Russell has been taking on more leadership roles and actually trying to contest shots now, more concerted effort on defense. He's also been the huge reason for why the Nets aren't in the lottery, and has nailed two game winners since LaVert went out.

That being said, Rozier hasn't managed to eclipse past 40% on FG. His 3P is is league average, and he has been horrible this year...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm not the biggest fan of D'Lo in the world.  I think he's probably right about average as far as starting points go, maybe slightly above since the depth at the position has lessened in the last few years.

That said, I'd much rather have him than Rozier.

Russell has shown at least that he can navigate a pick and roll and create semi-decent shots for himself and others.

Terry is a smallish guard who makes occasional flashy plays but has no court vision and is a poor finisher from pretty much everywhere.  He has bursts of frenetic defense but overall isn't especially good on that end.  His one above average skill is creating separation for himself, but that skill isn't worth much for a guy who can't actually finish looks at an efficient rate consistently.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I'm not the biggest fan of D'Lo in the world.  I think he's probably right about average as far as starting points go, maybe slightly above since the depth at the position has lessened in the last few years.

Russell has shown at least that he can navigate a pick and roll and create semi-decent shots for himself and others.

Terry is a smallish guard who makes occasional flashy plays but has no court vision and is a poor finisher from pretty much everywhere.  He has bursts of frenetic defense but overall isn't especially good on that end.  His one above average skill is creating separation for himself, but that skill isn't worth much for a guy who can't actually finish looks at an efficient rate consistently.

I know the PG position has been stacked, but it is amazing that there is no D'Angelo Russell love here.  = /
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline NOSPAU

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
People have to have more faith in Ainge.  He has been stockpiling assets for years for the chance to add AD.  He is not going to simply walk away without trying to convince him to stay longterm.  He also probably has a ton of confidence in the team and culture to convince AD that this is where he should be.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Bradley Beal could be another trade target this summer. I'd like to think Ainge has many different scenarios he could pursue rather than just AD.

Beal has 2 years left on his deal and in those 2 years, I don't see how the Wizards compete (despite them saying Beal is off-limits.)

He'd be a great addition to this team.
If Ainge strikes out with Davis, and let's face it, that is Plan A and the next Plan starts at around N, I don't see Ainge trying to add another swing/wing/guard. He will already have Irving, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Ojeleye. The reason trading for Davis works so well is it is moving one or two of our excellent swing/wing/guards for a needed big. If Plan N has to happen and it's not just standing pat and developing but it is trading for a player, Ainge needs to move that wealth of swing/wing/guards for a big, not just another swing/wing/guard.

Did you have a certain big in mind? Because none of those guys you mentioned are shooting guards. Kyrie and Smart are point guards and Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Ojeleye are all small forwards.

I'd like to see Ainge acquire a big because we desperately need one. I was just merely bringing up another potential trade target not named Anthony Davis that could help us.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think Bradley Beal could be another trade target this summer. I'd like to think Ainge has many different scenarios he could pursue rather than just AD.

Beal has 2 years left on his deal and in those 2 years, I don't see how the Wizards compete (despite them saying Beal is off-limits.)

He'd be a great addition to this team.
If Ainge strikes out with Davis, and let's face it, that is Plan A and the next Plan starts at around N, I don't see Ainge trying to add another swing/wing/guard. He will already have Irving, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Ojeleye. The reason trading for Davis works so well is it is moving one or two of our excellent swing/wing/guards for a needed big. If Plan N has to happen and it's not just standing pat and developing but it is trading for a player, Ainge needs to move that wealth of swing/wing/guards for a big, not just another swing/wing/guard.

Kyrie and Smart are point guards and Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Ojeleye are all small forwards.

That isn't correct.  Brown started at SG all last year and the first part of this year.  He was replaced at SG by Smart.  Brown can play both wing positions, but he has played a lot of SG next to Kyrie and next to Rozier.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:24:41 PM by blink »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I know the PG position has been stacked, but it is amazing that there is no D'Angelo Russell love here.  = /

He's fine.  He'll get you 18-20 pts and 5-6 assists with decent scoring efficiency.

I could see him becoming better than that, but he's a clear cut below the superstar tier at the position and isn't as good as guys like Mike Conley or Kemba.

I'd rather have him than Lonzo right now, that's for sure, and I'm not sure Lonzo will ever be better than him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He's fine.  He'll get you 18-20 pts and 5-6 assists with decent scoring efficiency.

I could see him becoming better than that, but he's a clear cut below the superstar tier at the position and isn't as good as guys like Mike Conley or Kemba.

I'd rather have him than Lonzo right now, that's for sure, and I'm not sure Lonzo will ever be better than him.
Pretty much where I'm at. I think he'll top out with Kembla-like numbers.

Can't believe LA move don't him for nothing. Lonzo is not what they need
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I am not a big Russell fan. Not that he isn't a talented player, but I question how good he can be as the point guard of a contending team. As others have said, I'd be just as happy with Rozier

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I like his game. He's a talented scorer and seems eager to be coached. The structure in Brooklyn has been great for him. Maybe not yet a superstar, but the foundation is there. Those first few years in LA really did a disservice to his development.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman