Author Topic: Is signing a near max player the best way to develop Tatum and Brown?  (Read 2789 times)

Re: Is signing a near max player the best way to develop Tatum and Brown?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I hate the probable loss of Horford.  Not just for the top 4 seed in the east level he would provide the team, but the fit where he opens up space that allows Tatum and Brown to grow. 

I look at a lot of the suggested signings, but I don't see the advantage that helps those two the space on the floor to grow.  The Celtics do not need a ball dominant guard at near max.   They do not need a low post threat at near max. 

The Celtics need the floor stretching big man.  Think a Brook Lopez (at a one to two year average salary) 

A vet PF that could start but those young Celtics PF have a chance to challenge. 

A pass first PG that comes off the bench. 

With that said, I would still try to resign Rozier on a short term deal.   Let see if he fits with Brown and Tatum as he showed two years ago or just as a trade piece.   

I want the Celtics to be good, but I am against spending near max money for "good" players instead of "near star to star" players.

Did you see Julius Randle’s shooting last year?  He has improved as a 3 point threat and is only 24, he could be the future with them.  Additionally he can rebound, his defense is still mediocre at best but a team with Smart,  Brown, Tatum, Randle could all develop together and be a scary team for years to come.

But is he worth near max?

I want to add good players, but not overpaying.

He is worth 18 million a year for 3 seasons absolutely and if he keeps improving he would be an absolute steal.  I truly believe that Brown, Tatum, Randle, Smart if properly developed over the next two seasons and with smart drafting could win us at least one title. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
It is my last day of my 15th year teaching so I could be exhausted and way off, but I’m a huge Randle fan.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
It is my last day of my 15th year teaching so I could be exhausted and way off, but I’m a huge Randle fan.

Congrats! Just finished up year 21. And it is still exhausting.

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I could care less about developing Tatum and Brown. I just want to be a good team.

And Tatum and Brown developing is the best way for the Celtics having a good team.   Putting players around that maximizes their skill is the best way for the Celtics to have a good team.
IMO, Ainge has to keep space available to make a move for a big time player, be it next offseason, or the one after. He can't take a risk on a guy who might turn into dead weight. I think we'll see short term contract players only the remainder of this offseason, unless a real stud becomes available.

Otherwise, the best move would be to pay Al whatever he asked for, because he's a good fit for B&T on both ends of the floor. But 2 years from now, B&T will be on big contracts, and both of them plus another $30M for Al could likely make signing a max FA impossible.

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 01:30:21 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I could care less about developing Tatum and Brown. I just want to be a good team.

so you COULD care less which means you still care! lol

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can someone tell me how much money Boston will have this offseason including the max slot, the MLE, etc?

They will have something like 27-28 million in cap space if they renounce Rozier, Kyrie, Horford, Morris.  All of those seem likely to be gone except maybe Rozier.

If they have cap space, they do not get to use the MLE.  They only get the room exception, which is only about $4.7 million.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain