Author Topic: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay  (Read 25898 times)

Re: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I know this has almost zero possibility of happening; however, if u are going to blow up this incarnation of the c's, I think this is a great way to do it.     4 way trade (bos, mem,  sac, tor). Really it's two separate trades.  Part 1 is a derivative of bill Simmons proposal.  part 2 is a straight up Pierce for Gay swap. 

Boston gets: Evans Cousins Bargnani Lowry Gay   

Mem gets: Pierce   

Sac gets: Rondo Melo   

Tor gets: Green Bradley 

Picks may have to be thrown in to sweeten things, and Toronto may not want Green. But Danny could remake the team overnight with young athletic talent around KG.

This is the most interesting blow up scenario, for sure. Can't see it happening, but I loved the idea. TP :)
That's blowing it up but that team would stink! 7-8 seed possible lottery team.
You mean like Boston is right now anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Memphis would be better off moving one of D.Arthur or M.Speights in order to get under the luxury tax threshold than moving Rudy Gay.

That is the way I expect them to go unless someone makes a great offer. Gives them real value for Rudy Gay. Too good a player to move in a salary dump especially for a team so close to title-contention.

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Memphis would be better off moving one of D.Arthur or M.Speights in order to get under the luxury tax threshold than moving Rudy Gay.

That is the way I expect them to go unless someone makes a great offer. Gives them real value for Rudy Gay. Too good a player to move in a salary dump especially for a team so close to title-contention.

I was thinking the same thing. It literally makes no sense for a team as good as Memphis to trade a player as good as Rudy Gay.

It's almost like the new strategy is becoming to suck as much as possible instead of being good (lol.) Who does that benefit?

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2013, 12:50:55 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Gay really isn't all that good though.  He's never been an efficient scorer or a playmaker and his defense is underwhelming.  He's not even close to deserving the max contract he has.  A max contract!  It's ridiculous.

Gay's like a slightly better version of Green.  No way should the Celtics be interested.

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Grizzlies "have made inquiries" on Tyreke Evans, according to the Sacramento Bee.
Evans' future with the Kings is uncertain as he'll be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, and this isn't the first time we've heard him in a trade rumor. Grantland's Zach Lowe takes it a step further by suggesting Evans could be dealt to Memphis in a potential Rudy Gay deal, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest that a trade of either player is remotely close.

Source: Sacramento Bee Jan 11 - 8:20 AM

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

The way I see it, the only way this happens is if they trade Speights and a 1st to Houston for essentially nothing back.

I'd imagine they've already had that conversation with Morey -- no?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, if getting under the tax threshold was their main concern, I agree.  But I think they also just don't love Gay at that kind of money.  He certainly doesn't seem like a Hollinger type guy to me, and never seemed like a favorite of Wallace either.

I think they will likely end up keeping him, when they realize they can't get a whole lot for him.  But, I think the idea that they were looking for a guy like Dudley is telling.  Basically, they think he can be replaced by a much cheaper player.  And I am not sure I disagree, at least on their roster, which is predicated on pounding the ball down low, and then having shooters on the perimeter, and very tough, physical, defense. 

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39:19 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Yeah, if getting under the tax threshold was their main concern, I agree.  But I think they also just don't love Gay at that kind of money.  He certainly doesn't seem like a Hollinger type guy to me, and never seemed like a favorite of Wallace either.

I think they will likely end up keeping him, when they realize they can't get a whole lot for him.  But, I think the idea that they were looking for a guy like Dudley is telling.  Basically, they think he can be replaced by a much cheaper player.  And I am not sure I disagree, at least on their roster, which is predicated on pounding the ball down low, and then having shooters on the perimeter, and very tough, physical, defense.

i agree with your POV on Hollinger et al's perspective on a player like Dudley by comparison to Gay -- it makes all kinds of sense.

problem: the only deal i think makes sense for MEM without a 3rd team is Dudley, Johnson and change for Gay. and presumably, PHX wants to send salary out with Dudley, i.e. Beasley, Frye or Gortat.

hard to see MEM taking either of the first two. the only one they'd take is Gortat, but they'd want to send him to a 3rd team in exchange for shooting, I'd assume.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Scoops: Wolves quickly rejected trade offer for Memphis' Rudy Gay

One minute after free agency began in July 2010, Minnesota Timberwolves president of basketball operations David Kahn reached out to the Octagon basketball group to arrange for a face-to-face visit with restricted free agent forward Rudy Gay.

A visit was agreed upon, but before Gay got on a flight for Minneapolis, he re-signed with Memphis for five years and $80 million.

Two-and-a-half years later, Gay is readily available -- mostly because the Grizzlies, barring a trade of either him or another high-priced player, will be in luxury tax purgatory.

So, this is Kahn's chance to land a player he has long coveted. But according to a league source, he turned down a trade proposal from Memphis for Gay recently.

In fact, the source insists Kahn said no immediately. It's unknown what Memphis' idea was, but since it was turned down emphatically, logic suggests it involved All-Star Kevin Love and/or center Nikola Pekovic. It's possible three- or four-team trade scenarios were discussed, too.

Until Gay is moved -- which is not a given, even though Memphis is calling many teams -- the Wolves are worth monitoring. The source said the Wolves like him, but the 2½ years and approximately $45 million remaining on Gay's contract is an issue.

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
i agree with your POV on Hollinger et al's perspective on a player like Dudley by comparison to Gay -- it makes all kinds of sense.

And if Hollinger weren't the one behind it, I'd imagine there'd be more incredulousness over trading Gay.  I mean, Gay isn't worth a max contract but Memphis is thisclose to possibly winning a title and you're going to trade away your best one-on-one, get-his-own-shot scorer?  Swap Gay for Dudley and Memphis essentially becomes the Houston Texans of the NBA, a team that's built to win in only one way and has no back-up plan for when that doesn't work.

Mike

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

And if Hollinger weren't the one behind it, I'd imagine there'd be more incredulousness over trading Gay.  I mean, Gay isn't worth a max contract but Memphis is thisclose to possibly winning a title and you're going to trade away your best one-on-one, get-his-own-shot scorer?  Swap Gay for Dudley and Memphis essentially becomes the Houston Texans of the NBA, a team that's built to win in only one way and has no back-up plan for when that doesn't work.

Mike

Agreed. Trading Gay now when they are playing their best basketball is just not a great idea from my eyes.

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Mike

Agreed. Trading Gay now when they are playing their best basketball is just not a great idea from my eyes.

I have no problem with this perspective, but it's moot: The Grizzlies are clearly very open to trading Gay for reasons that include -- but are far from exclusive to -- how they're playing. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
I've yet to hear the rationale for trading Rudy Gay.  Can someone please explain what the reasoning is?  For the life of me I can't understand why they are shopping him.  I don't follow the Grizz closely but isn't he a top 2 talent on that team?  How does this possibly help their chances?  As a small market team you can't afford to throw title opportunities out the window.  You have to milk them as long as possible because they may never return.  Hollinger might be playing his "computer games" here but ball is played on the court, and Rudy Gay can ball.

Remember when Danny signed Scal because he had the same brain type as a Michael Jordan and Larry Bird?  I think advanced stats have a place in the game, but they're not the whole story.

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I've yet to hear the rationale for trading Rudy Gay.  Can someone please explain what the reasoning is?  For the life of me I can't understand why they are shopping him.  I don't follow the Grizz closely but isn't he a top 2 talent on that team?  How does this possibly help their chances?  As a small market team you can't afford to throw title opportunities out the window.  You have to milk them as long as possible because they may never return.  Hollinger might be playing his "computer games" here but ball is played on the court, and Rudy Gay can ball.

Remember when Danny signed Scal because he had the same brain type as a Michael Jordan and Larry Bird?  I think advanced stats have a place in the game, but they're not the whole story.

$$$

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Gay really isn't all that good though.  He's never been an efficient scorer or a playmaker and his defense is underwhelming.  He's not even close to deserving the max contract he has.  A max contract!  It's ridiculous.

Gay's like a slightly better version of Green.  No way should the Celtics be interested.

^ This.

If Rudy can keep up the production he had in 10-11, he would be a good starting-caliber player. However, the way he has been playing this season has been pretty bad. Bench-level production.