Poll

Are you okay with us not contending next year?

Yes
25 (53.2%)
No
22 (46.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Are you okay with us not contending next year?  (Read 8034 times)

Re: Are you okay with us not contending next year?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 06:10:07 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The Celtics are in good hands...ownership and GM wants to win more than anyone.

So whatever they feel is best I'm fine with.  To be indignant about the team feels entitled, spoiled and whiny to me.

Of course they may make moves that I don't agree with. So what, I'm not the owner or the GM.

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 06:13:42 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
IF this year it was we call "Contending", I am okay with us not...

Bring back the Scrappers who actually cared about the name on the front of the jersey as much as they do about the one on the back.

scrappers are fun to watch,   but they aren't going far in playoffs with no 2-3 top stars on the squad .

Scrappers overachiever gets you 5-8 seed and no chance at a title.   Coming in second is first loser in my book.

loser treadmill

Before Golden State was Golden State they were just two guys, 1 with jacked up Ankles...

These Microwave championship meals are funny.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm okay with not contending next season IF there are no realistic championship expectations when we enter the season.

What I'm NOT okay with is a repeat of this season—thinking big things, only to be severely let down.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm okay with it if it means we're refocusing around the younger guys, albeit with some capable veterans still on the roster, and the idea is to build some continuity and positive culture on the team.  See if Tatum and Brown can be special together and keep the powder dry for big moves a few years from now.

I think going that route means accepting the team isn't going to be a contender anytime soon, though, and that doesn't seem consistent with how this team operates.  Local media would kill them for it and many of the fans would be unhappy, if folks around here are any indication.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am a fan of the team, so win or lose I stick with them.  Like many others here, I might add.

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 09:25:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Ok with it or not, we aren't contending next year.  I don't see a feasible path to us contending in the next 5 years.  Should be in the mix for a late seed.

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It really sucks, because we came close to being a true contender. I’ll always support the team, but it feels like a colossal waste
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Ok with it or not, we aren't contending next year.  I don't see a feasible path to us contending in the next 5 years.  Should be in the mix for a late seed.

Elite defense and a decent offense is a formula for a middle seed (a la pacers this year) if combined with depth and team effort.

I expect all of those things from a brad Stevens team that doesnt have primadona distractions.

Regardless, they wouldn't be a contender. Not unless Tatum AND brown make major leaps AND Danny finds some Pascal siakam type gems in the draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It really sucks, because we came close to being a true contender. I’ll always support the team, but it feels like a colossal waste

2015 through last season felt to me like they each had merit on their own.  This season is the exception. Did not enjoy this season at all. 2014 was the tank year, that was all about the future.

Overall I would say the story of the franchise over the last five-six years has been a fun and rewarding story to follow with the exception of this season.

There was never any guarantee it was going to result in the Celtics becoming the top team in the league or winning a title.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 09:49:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Elite defense and a decent offense is a formula for a middle seed (a la pacers this year) if combined with depth and team effort.

I expect all of those things from a brad Stevens team that doesnt have primadona distractions.

Regardless, they wouldn't be a contender. Not unless Tatum AND brown make major leaps AND Danny finds some Pascal siakam type gems in the draft.
Lotto is in play next season.  On paper, this team is worse than the Suns.

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

2015 through last season felt to me like they each had merit on their own.  This season is the exception. Did not enjoy this season at all. 2014 was the tank year, that was all about the future.

Overall I would say the story of the franchise over the last five-six years has been a fun and rewarding story to follow with the exception of this season.

There was never any guarantee it was going to result in the Celtics becoming the top team in the league or winning a title.
Definitely. I'm just sour that so many enjoyable seasons will amount for this - a bad season and perhaps a worse offseason

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Dude the NBA Draft hasn’t even happened. Rosters aren’t even close to being finalized. Tone down your Chicken Little routine just a bit.

You’ll be surprised what a Celtics team is capable of when they play like a team. I know a lot of us forgot what that looks like after last season.

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Dude the NBA Draft hasn’t even happened. Rosters aren’t even close to being finalized. Tone down your Chicken Little routine just a bit.

You’ll be surprised what a Celtics team is capable of when they play like a team. I know a lot of us forgot what that looks like after last season.
Plus Brad has this weird ability to make weak teams overachieve

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 10:19:15 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Classic LarBrd33 comment.

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 10:26:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If Horford opts in, Kyrie walks, we resign Rozier, and maybe another minor move or 2 (Morris, backup pg), then I'm OK with that.  I think we are still a top 5 seed in the East.  Contenders?  Not strong ones right now on paper, but Jaylen, Jayson, and Terry are all at that age where one or more of them could make huge leaps in their game which could make us a better team that we'd be expecting.  Gordon could make a comeback.  There's a pretty high floor with that roster, some reasonable upside, and overall I'd be happy with it even if it's not considered "contenders" in the preseason.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur