Author Topic: Stevens succeeds with young players. Do you expect a comeback year in reg season  (Read 3226 times)

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Just reminding everyone that both Al and Gordon are more than capable of scoring 20+ pts a night... if we get a pass-first PG this offense could hum beyond belief
Horford is not a 20+ scorer.  Horford's career average is 14.1 pts.   His highest scoring  seasons were 6+ years ago at 17.4 and 18.6.  In his other 10 seasons, he's scored 15.3pts or less. 

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Assuming Irving, Morris, and Rozier are gone and replaced by draft picks we still have a starting lineup of Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Horford.
Add a few FA’s to fill out the rotation and it is still a 50 + win team.

I tend to agree, but if horford opts out and signs with a team that has championship aspirations, the Celts are in a much tougher spot.

I think these young Celts without horford are a late lottery team. It would take a great job from Brad Stevens coaching them to the 8th seed.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Assuming Irving, Morris, and Rozier are gone and replaced by draft picks we still have a starting lineup of Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Horford.
If Hayward doesn't improve significantly that is not a 50+ win team. 

RazzelnoDazzel

I mean this could be a good thing the Davis Trade didn’t happen. It was really a tough decision to make for many reasons. A big reason that a few people brought up was could Brad coach superstars. I think the real way to look at it is, Brad does better with younger players than he does with established vets in general.

A team built around vets may have been a great roster for Doc Rivers but imo it would be the best for Brad Stevens. I think Brad can coach a young team (4 years and below in the league) to top 3 in the east. I’m really okay with not having established players on our roster (of course is really really love stars) but I believe we have a number of young players with All-Star potential. The only thing we are missing is a Center unless Williams takes a huge leap (doubtful). I guess we will get to see how good our training staff is at developing talent, because so far they have been good, but not great. This year will answer a ton of questions about our young players. But it will finally be Brads team again, and I think that’s worth trying.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

It can be be a 45 win team for 30 years but , will never go to the finals without TOP 5 player on roster . 

Only goodthing Danny did was make sure the ticket price drops so i can get a good seat ....as people frustrated sell their good seats and hope for a rebuild in 30 years.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The issue last year was terrible chemistry.  So it should be improved, and magically, so will Stevens coaching ability.

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

It can be be a 45 win team for 30 years but , will never go to the finals without TOP 5 player on roster . 

Only goodthing Danny did was make sure the ticket price drops so i can get a good seat ....as people frustrated sell their good seats and hope for a rebuild in 30 years.
I don’t understand this mentality.
We have a stable of high end young talent that can be used to acquire a top 5 talent (that wants to be here). Or , gods willing, develop into a top 5 player. A year ago at this time the blog was ecstatic about our young talent. Now it seems that a lot of fans have written the kids off.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I tend to agree, but if horford opts out and signs with a team that has championship aspirations, the Celts are in a much tougher spot.

I think these young Celts without horford are a late lottery team. It would take a great job from Brad Stevens coaching them to the 8th seed.

what i said ....as usual we have NO really good big man ....except Al .....so you let him go......might as well do a NY move .....keep Brown , Tatum and Smart .....let the rest go ....and tank it for a top 3 pick

thats what LA did shuting down Lebron , NY sold off Zinger for pennies .

Get rid of that boat anchor named Hayward ....screw the contract ....he is trash now .   Anything else is being the Hornets and a forver 35-45 win team for next 30 years.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we could be a team again and not just a bunch of individuals.

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

what i said ....as usual we have NO really good big man ....except Al .....so you let him go......might as well do a NY move .....keep Brown , Tatum and Smart .....let the rest go ....and tank it for a top 3 pick

Get rid of that boat anchor named Hayward ....screw the contract ....he is trash now .   Anything else is being the Hornets and a forver 35-45 win team for next 30 years.

Utah Hayward comes back and we are easily a 50 win team because of the improvement of the Jay duo..
However if you say is true and Hayward is indeed becomes a Chandler Parsons clone, then we are looking at a 7 to 9th seed in the East.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Utah Hayward comes back and we are easily a 50 win team because of the improvement of the Jay duo..
However if you say is true and Hayward is indeed becomes a Chandler Parsons clone, then we are looking at a 7 to 9th seed in the East.
Hayward becoming Chandler Parsons would somehow make him regress despite an incoming increase in touches
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Stevens will coach the team to more wins than anyone would expect. I think there is a class equivalency here that Brad only coaches underdog teams up and can't coach the "superstar team" or a team considered a favorite.

I think Stevens' teams succeed and out perform expectations when his team buys into what he is selling as the team concept. I think last year's team didn't buy in wholeheartedly to his team concept.

I think several tuned Stevens out. I know Rozier, through his own words, didn't sacrifice for the team. I think several players made last season about them, not the team. And I think Stevens mishandling of Hayward only exasperated the situation.

If the team weeds out the malcontents and if who is left, along with new additions, buy in, I think Stevens will have this team being a team that other teams won't want to play in the playoffs.