Poll

Are you okay with us not contending next year?

Yes
25 (53.2%)
No
22 (46.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Are you okay with us not contending next year?  (Read 8145 times)

Are you okay with us not contending next year?
« on: June 12, 2019, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
With how things are shaping up we may have to run it next year with the young studs at the helm... unless DA can pull off a magic trick. So simple question, are you okay with the concept of us being a "good young team" as opposed to "contenders" next year?

Re: Are you okay with us not contending next year?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not really. I mean, it wouldn't be devastating, but after the Hayward signing, we were talking about how we were the new Warriors of the East. To go from title contenders to lower seeded playoff team would be a pretty big gut punch. No Kyrie, no AD, hobbled Hayward. We would really need to bank on Tatum and Brown reaching perennial All-Star level soon.

I can't imagine this is the path Danny was hoping to go down. I imagine he is going to do everything in his power to make this thing work. Horford and Hayward are still on the roster - no reason to throw in the towel yet.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It depends on whether it’s outside of Danny’s control.

If we have the ability to contend, but choose a different direction, I’d be upset.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
This might sound a bit selfish, but while I would be okay with us not contending next year if it meant simply building around the Jays and a few more young players, I still want us to make the playoffs and at least give us some fun in April. I mean, with the new lottery rules it's not like tanking is going to guarantee anything and I'd still like to see us compete.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
No.  Ainge passed on Cousins, Butler, George, and Leonard so that he could land Davis.  He has to land Davis or what was the point of not acquiring one of those other players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 04:45:31 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Idk which route we take but I personally believe with every option we have that we will compete. I believe in our young core as well as our aging core with or without Kyrie. I do remember without Hayward and Kyrie feeling confident that that team had the heart to compete with anyone.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
All of my disappointment about not contending got taken care of during the season last year. Almost ANYTHING will be better than last year's showing as long as we play consistently hard and with heart. I'd go back to being scrappy underdogs 100x rather than whatever last year's season was.

I didn't believe that AD + Kyrie = championship anyway.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:08:56 PM by CF033 »

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
No.  Ainge passed on Cousins, Butler, George, and Leonard so that he could land Davis.  He has to land Davis or what was the point of not acquiring one of those other players.

No prob with him passing on Cousins and Butler.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:10:21 PM by CF033 »

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm assuming by contending we mean contending for the championship, not just making a deep playoff run. I would rather have a number of years where we have a low to fair chance of contending for the championship than one year where we stack the team and become EC favorites and then be Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. the years after that because our rental leaves and we gave players away. Ainge has to somehow figure out if AD will give us a fair shot at convincing him or if his heart is set on LA and nothing will change his mind, not even if we win the Finals with him next year. Then he has to figure out what to give up, maybe if it's a multiteam trade we can get away with giving up less.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hell no!

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No means no!

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 06:02:47 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
IF this year it was we call "Contending", I am okay with us not...

Bring back the Scrappers who actually cared about the name on the front of the jersey as much as they do about the one on the back.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

To be fair, that was all when Irving was publicly stating his intention to re-sign in Boston. If Kyrie signing a new 5-year deal was still a formality I expect a Tatum-for-AD swap would be agreed to in principle right around now.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 06:09:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
IF this year it was we call "Contending", I am okay with us not...

Bring back the Scrappers who actually cared about the name on the front of the jersey as much as they do about the one on the back.

scrappers are fun to watch,   but they aren't going far in playoffs with no 2-3 top stars on the squad .

Winning a title is always the goal.   You cant win the prize if you don't try .....I ll be holy po d if DA ....punts after all the work

Scrappers overachiever gets you 5-8 seed and no chance at a title .   Coming in second is first loser in my book.

loser treadmill

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I'm assuming by contending we mean contending for the championship, not just making a deep playoff run. I would rather have a number of years where we have a low to fair chance of contending for the championship than one year where we stack the team and become EC favorites and then be **** the years after that because our rental leaves and we gave players away. Ainge has to somehow figure out if AD will give us a fair shot at convincing him or if his heart is set on LA and nothing will change his mind, not even if we win the Finals with him next year. Then he has to figure out what to give up, maybe if it's a multiteam trade we can get away with giving up less.

I’ll take #18 then roll the dice for a few years.

We need another banner. This is only the second decade we haven’t produced a title (and obviously only 1 in 33 years), we need to get going.

I’m pretty sure the Raptors fans won’t complain if Kawhi wins them a title tomorrow and then bounces as opposed to years of second-round finishes with Derozan.
CELTICS 2024