Author Topic: Combo forwards / big wings  (Read 5238 times)

Combo forwards / big wings
« on: January 05, 2024, 10:51:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25612
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brad mentioned that he believes the team could use a big wing, whether that comes internally, via free agency, or through trade.  Here are some suggested options from Celtics Wire (USA Today):

Keita Bates-Diop - Phoenix Suns
2023-24 salary: $2.3 million

Torrey Craig - Chicago Bulls
2023-24 salary: $2.5 million

Jalen McDaniels - Toronto Raptors
2023-24 salary: $4.5 million

Simone Fontecchio - Utah Jazz
2023-24 salary: $3 million

Saddiq Bey - Atlanta Hawks

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-big-wings-boston-celtics-230114041.html

To add another option who may or may not count as a "big" wing, I like the Cedi Osman suggestion I first heard from Celtics2021.  Current salary:  $6,718,842

I'd love to see Bey, but is there any way that we'd retain him?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Combo forwards / big wings
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 11:11:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think we can remove anyone make more the the Trade Exception because he also said he would not trade one of the key rotational players to make this happen.   

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 11:13:38 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Brad mentioned that he believes the team could use a big wing, whether that comes internally, via free agency, or through trade.  Here are some suggested options from Celtics Wire (USA Today):

Keita Bates-Diop - Phoenix Suns
2023-24 salary: $2.3 million

Torrey Craig - Chicago Bulls
2023-24 salary: $2.5 million

Jalen McDaniels - Toronto Raptors

Simone Fontecchio - Utah Jazz
2023-24 salary: $3 million

Saddiq Bey - Atlanta Hawks

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-big-wings-boston-celtics-230114041.html

To add another option who may or may not count as a "big" wing, I like the Cedi Osman suggestion I first heard from Celtics2021.  Current salary:  $6,718,842

I'd love to see Bey, but is there any way that we'd retain him?

Thanks.  I still like my Osman suggestion.  I’ve also been thumping for McDaniels since the last trade deadline, and like that he’s under contract for a similar amount next year, although he’s been horrible this year so I’m not sure what’s up with that.  Probably makes him cheap to acquire — maybe even free or with a small asset because he’s guaranteed next year.  I’m also in the Bey camp, but he cost something like 5-second rounders last year, is a free agent in the summer, and probably won’t like his role being downgraded from starter to 9th man.  I think someone else that has a better role will want him more.

Osman is still my favorite because I think he hits the right level of experience, role acceptance, and cost to acquire.  I’m also okay with Torrey Smith from the minimum-salary bargain bin, but I’m not sure he’s any better than what we have.  It’d be a small improvement at best.

The other name I’d add is Taurean Prince, in case he gets moved by the Lakers in a larger deal and we can step in and grab him.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 11:16:49 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I think we can remove anyone make more the the Trade Exception because he also said he would not trade one of the key rotational players to make this happen.

Osman can be matched with any three of Brissett, Svi, Stevens, and Banton.  Luke also works but I think he’s in the rotation enough to not be traded in that deal.  His salary of $6.7 million is our true cap I think.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 12:12:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3029
  • On To Banner 18!
I like Fontecchio as an option. Easily fits into the Grant TPE. Can play some PF.

Him and Bey are the two guys I'd look hard at.

I do wonder if Brad's also thinking that the center market just isn't good this deadline/buyout period so a bigger wing/combo forward is the way to go.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 12:18:26 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Fontecchio is a 28 year old RFA and would be a perfect fit for the Celtics.  Ainge won't give him away though as he has been playing well on both ends of the floor.  C's fans will get a good look at him tonight.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 12:43:22 PM by The Oracle »

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 12:19:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like Fontecchio as an option. Easily fits into the Grant TPE. Can play some PF.

I do wonder if Brad's also thinking that the center market just isn't good this deadline/buyout period so a bigger wing/combo forward is the way to go.

How many 6 million and under C are really going to move the needle for the Celtics?   

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 12:24:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3029
  • On To Banner 18!

How many 6 million and under C are really going to move the needle for the Celtics?

I see it more as injury insurance. I mean, if someone like Horford or Porzingis goes down for some time, particularly in the spring, I'd hope we have someone at least decent enough to hold the fort. Sorry but I'm not high at all with Kornet, he's gonna get tossed around against the better bigs in the postseason if he sees meaningful minutes.

They don't really have a 3rd PF/C to combat things in case of foul trouble or injuries. G-Will sort of filled that hole the last few years behind Horford and Timelord, but he's no longer here

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

It isn't really about moving the needle, but keeping the needle pinned to the positive. If you can add that without giving up too much you make that move.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595

Osman can be matched with any three of Brissett, Svi, Stevens, and Banton.  Luke also works but I think he’s in the rotation enough to not be traded in that deal.  His salary of $6.7 million is our true cap I think.

What do you think it would take to get Osman?  A young vet with "some" playoff experience, on an inexpensive, expiring contract, on one of the worst teams in the league.  I would think every playoff/play-in hopeful is offering their scraps to the Spurs trying to shore up their bench for cheap. 

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 12:59:32 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
After sitting the final 18 minutes of Nuggets loss, Warriors forward Jonathan Kuminga has lost faith in Steve Kerr and no longer believes that Kerr will allow him to reach his full potential, sources say.

He'd fit into the TPE.....
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 01:04:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25612
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
After sitting the final 18 minutes of Nuggets loss, Warriors forward Jonathan Kuminga has lost faith in Steve Kerr and no longer believes that Kerr will allow him to reach his full potential, sources say.

I can't imagine he'd be happy with his role here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 01:08:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

I know. It's a nice dream though.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 01:21:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Seriously.  I crossed him off my mental list of big wings, but now he’s worked his way back into my head even though I know it doesn’t make sense.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 03:12:39 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Seriously.  I crossed him off my mental list of big wings, but now he’s worked his way back into my head even though I know it doesn’t make sense.

He occupies the same space in my mind that Wiggins did several years ago. Ironically, it was Kerr that unleashed his full potential before Wiggins decided he wasn't interested in rebounding anymore because it was too hard.