Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76232 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #630 on: January 21, 2019, 03:15:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
What's the closest comparison in sports to the Belichick and Brady era and accomplishments?

Red Auerbach and Bill Russell imo.

« Reply #631 on: January 21, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So if there is anything to this recent trend to have major sports championships be decided between teams from LA and Boston, it bodes well for our Celtics this year with Celtics/Lakers sounding good. Celtics knocking off the purple and yellow version of LeBron this summer after New England took the SB this winter and the Sox took the World Series last fall would be pretty awesome.

Beat LA. Beat LA. Beat LA.

« Reply #632 on: January 21, 2019, 03:23:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What's the closest comparison in sports to the Belichick and Brady era and accomplishments?

Red Auerbach and Bill Russell imo.

More like the Spurs with Popovich and Duncan, I think.

« Reply #633 on: January 21, 2019, 03:34:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I don't know what to say. They were bad until they weren't. The chiefs were the better team until the pats won a coin flip.

It feels like the pats had a bad season and yet they're in their third super bowl in a row.

Nothing makes sense except everything follows a script, apparently, which is that the pats don't lose until they face a hated foe in the AFC championship game or they make the super bowl.

This ride will end eventually but it's fun while it lasts, even if I still believe it probably should've have ended already.

Will they win this year? It doesn't seem likely, which means it's anybody's game, I guess.

Not sure I understand your analysis. If "bad until they weren't" is reference to the season, not sure what difference that makes. They were 11-5 and the #2 seed in the conference which means they couldn't actually be too bad. 

They played well v. the Jets and extremely well v. the Chargers. If "bad until they weren't" is reference to the Chiefs game asserting that Pats were outplayed till the OT coin flip, I disagree.  Pats played magnificently in the first half.  I'll go as far to say that if it weren't for the interception at the goal line, the first half of football by the Pats may have been the best half by any team all season. They were excellent defensively against the most potent offense in the league and they had sustained drives that led to scores (would have been 3 TDs if they'd run instead of pass on the INT).  They thoroughly dominated the 1st half on the road at vaunted, loud, Arrowhead against the #1 seeded team in the conference who had just come off a dismantling of the Colts.

Also, in order to get to the "coin flip", they engineered TWO terrific fourth quarter touchdown drives in order to get to the coin flip.  Then, of course, methodically drove for the third time in about 10 football minutes for a winning touchdown in OT.

What makes sense is this:  Tom Brady was injured, Julian Edelman missed 4 games and was coming off an injury, and Rob Gronkowski was injured.  They all got healthy for the playoffs while both the offensive and defensive lines came together and the secondary solidified.  That's the script.

Actually... it's mostly about health.   And if they are healthy in 2 weeks, the SB is winnable.  Not predicting a win, LA is an excellent team, but Pats have legit shot at it.

« Reply #634 on: January 21, 2019, 03:54:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I see New England finally getting a blow out win in the SuperBowl after being in 8 of the closest SuperBowls in history.

Patriots 38  Rams 17.

That's my prediction and I am sticking to it.

« Reply #635 on: January 21, 2019, 04:07:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That was the most nerve-wracking non-SB Pats game I can recall watching since maybe NE/SD Divisional Playoff '06. 

That was like a 15 round boxing match.  Emotionally draining to watch as a fan by the end. 

Helluva football game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #636 on: January 21, 2019, 06:34:57 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
That was the most nerve-wracking non-SB Pats game I can recall watching since maybe NE/SD Divisional Playoff '06. 

That was like a 15 round boxing match.  Emotionally draining to watch as a fan by the end. 

Helluva football game.

Those last few drives by both teams in the closing minutes of the 4th made it feel like either could score at any time soon as they got the ball. The coin toss at the start of OT was probably the most nerve wracking moment of the whole game  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #637 on: January 21, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I see New England finally getting a blow out win in the SuperBowl after being in 8 of the closest SuperBowls in history.

Patriots 38  Rams 17.

I like your thinking, Nick, and I surely hope you're right. It would be so nice, as a Pats fan, to see them put on a good ol-fashioned butt whoopin (for a change).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #638 on: January 21, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Patriots 38  Rams 17.

God I hope you're right. Not sure if my heart can take it after the seeming endless number of down to the wire games the Pats play
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #639 on: January 21, 2019, 07:27:55 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Red Sox Title...check

Patriots title....
Celtics title....
Bruins title....

What a great 2 games though...Brady is never going to show his age and that kid on the Chiefs appears to have the It factor for sure. I couldn’t believe that last quarter...insane.

« Reply #640 on: January 21, 2019, 07:29:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Patriots 38  Rams 17.

God I hope you're right. Not sure if my heart can take it after the seeming endless number of down to the wire games the Pats play

Lets hope the AFCCG was the "Close SB" the Pats play every single time they are there, and that the real SB in 2 weeks is a comfortable win  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #641 on: January 21, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Gotta love Damien Woody and Stephen A. run down Max Kellerman as he called Brady lucky yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ftbeard_17/status/1087365248149934080

« Reply #642 on: January 21, 2019, 09:26:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

« Reply #643 on: January 21, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #644 on: February 03, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Game day