Author Topic: Trade Idea - Irving to the Suns  (Read 5191 times)

Trade Idea - Irving to the Suns
« on: May 20, 2018, 07:56:58 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'm a big fan of Irving but with Rozier and Smart seeming to be a good one two combo at the point guard, can we trade Irving?  If you're the Suns you're wanting a star to build around and Irving could be that player.  I know this is a crazy trade idea but was something on my mind. 

Celtics trade
Kyrie Irving
Nader
Clippers or Grizzlies 1st next year

Suns trade
1st 2018 pick

Suns get the all star player to put next to Booker and Jackson.  Celtics we can draft Deandre Ayton to give us the center we're needing.  By doing this it gives us the money to keep both Smart and Rozier long term.  Keeping the 27th pick we'd be able to draft someone like Grayson Allen.  I say him because I think him and Smart would frustrate teams with the second unit. 

We'd probably have to take a player back for money reasons but if we don't have to I'd rather us not have to.  Just a knew thought I hadn't seen on the board about trading Irving for a pick this year. 

Re: Trade Idea - Irving to the Suns
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:04:52 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
No thanks...I’ll keep a healthy Irving here...thank you.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd get a kick out of Grayson Allen in Green.

He'd be quite the trip.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
No thanks...I’ll keep a healthy Irving here...thank you.

I'd love a healthy Irving, but this is multiple knee surgeries.  Personally I rather keep Irving but it's more just an interesting thought.  Specially cause we keep both Smart and Rozier, plus get younger..

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:09:48 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla

He'd be quite the trip.

I think he'd be a good fit with us.  Specially the second unit with Smart, Allen and Morris.  They'd get under a lot of people's skin.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

He'd be quite the trip.

Lol, TP ;D.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
How about a 3-way (that is equally unlikely as the original proposed trade)

To PHO:     Irving ($20M)
To BOS:     Towns ($7.8M) , Chandler ($13.5M)
To Minn:    #1 Pick ($6,7M), a future pick (maybe Clippers)

Filling in around this to be sure the salaries work (throw in Nader somewhere if you want).  I don't think this is likely but I do think this is fair if the Celtics were to go in this direction (trading Irving).

Smart
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Towns

Rozier
Tatum
Morris
Chandler
Yabusele
Ojeleye

That is a pretty good team.  Maybe not as good as a team with Irving in the first year but this team is young and durable.  We would probably add some bench wings (easy enough to find).

Did I mention that this is hypothetical and I don't think the Celtics are going to trade Irving but it is more likely that they trade him for a player that can contribute immediately over a draft pick.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 12:12:30 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Irwing has more value than 2 towns...

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 06:14:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We'd probably have to take a player back for money reasons but if we don't have to I'd rather us not have to.
The Suns don't have enough cap space to absorb Kyrie's contract unless they waive Elfrid and stash their #16 pick. Why would they do that, considering they 'd already be trading away the #1 pick? Adding Nader to the trade, would only make the situation worse.

It's only logical to assume that the Suns would want to offload Brandon Knight. Problem is, Knight is on a horrible contract till 2020.

Anyway, imo the Suns would never do the trade. Kyrie is gonna opt out next summer. Chances are he won't re-sign with them. Basically, it seems like they would be trading the #1 pick for a 1-year rental of Kyrie. Not to mention, the fit wouldn't be great either. Kyrie-Booker would be one of the worst defensive backcourts in the league (if not the worst).

Just a knew thought I hadn't seen on the board about trading Irving for a pick this year.
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=96373.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:26:38 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:54:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Towns

Rozier
Tatum
Morris
Chandler
Yabusele
Ojeleye

You really think Smart would start ahead of Rozier after this post season.   Do you get the games where you live?

I am in the crowd that we are not trading Irving.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 07:00:47 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I trade irving to minny for towns for sure...but towns not going anywhere..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 07:25:19 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I trade irving to minny for towns for sure...but towns not going anywhere..
That would be a no brainer for the C's.

- Three years younger.
- One of the most durable players around the league. Has never missed a game (82/82 three seasons in a row).

But yeah, good luck trying to convince the Wolves to trade KAT. :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:38:05 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 07:27:52 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Kyrie says: "I won't resign."
and everybody hangs up the phone.

Remember the last summer.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Smart
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Towns

Rozier
Tatum
Morris
Chandler
Yabusele
Ojeleye

You really think Smart would start ahead of Rozier after this post season.   Do you get the games where you live?

I am in the crowd that we are not trading Irving.

As I was typing this, I was wondering who would be the one who would completely miss the point of my post and nit pick an insignificant detail.  (Main point being that in the highly unlikely event that Irving is traded, it is much more likely he is traded for a player over a draft pick).  I expected the Smart thing or maybe "I can't believe you would start Hayward over Tatum".

Smart seems to like to come off the bench, I think he actually lobbies for it (or has in the past).  But that team would have so much scoring with Brown, Hayward, Horford, Towns, yes, I would want to Smart on the floor with that group as much as possible as he would bring more of what that group would need.  He would be the glue guy for that group.  If you want to start Rozier, that is fine, does not change things all that much.  It is a really good group either way.

So your snarky comment about whether they show the games where I live is pretty condescending if you were wondering.  See I could say something like, do they teach reading where you grew up because it doesn't appear as though you read my post.  Or, do you watch the games or just read the box scores because you don't value Smart's intangibles.  Condescending is not a good look on here though (or anywhere).  Just something to think about. 

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
How about a 3-way (that is equally unlikely as the original proposed trade)

To PHO:     Irving ($20M)
To BOS:     Towns ($7.8M) , Chandler ($13.5M)
To Minn:    #1 Pick ($6,7M), a future pick (maybe Clippers)

Filling in around this to be sure the salaries work (throw in Nader somewhere if you want).  I don't think this is likely but I do think this is fair if the Celtics were to go in this direction (trading Irving).

Smart
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Towns

Rozier
Tatum
Morris
Chandler
Yabusele
Ojeleye

That is a pretty good team.  Maybe not as good as a team with Irving in the first year but this team is young and durable.  We would probably add some bench wings (easy enough to find).

Did I mention that this is hypothetical and I don't think the Celtics are going to trade Irving but it is more likely that they trade him for a player that can contribute immediately over a draft pick.

Why does Minnie do this deal? The ceiling with the 1 pick is probably a player about the caliber of Towns.

If the Cs did this deal, where is Theis in the lineup?