Author Topic: David Griffin taking over in NOP  (Read 13644 times)

Re: David Griffin taking over in NOP
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Griffin might be a bit overrated. His entire resume is basically making short term moves that mortgaged the future. That’s not what NOP needs. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

It's what we need him to do...

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2019, 07:21:17 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I mean, what did people expect him to say? lol

Of course he's going to say this, as to say anything different is to weaken his trade market.

Also, let's be clear. While Paul is Davis' agent, he works for Lebron, not Davis.

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Griffin might be a bit overrated. His entire resume is basically making short term moves that mortgaged the future. That’s not what NOP needs. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Trading Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett for Kevin Love was a pretty good move.

At the time it looked like mortgaging the future. Plus, Lebron made that deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Trading Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett for Kevin Love was a pretty good move.

what future did he mortgage exactly?  He traded a couple of picks that were at the end of the 1st round and a few young players that failed to live up to their potential (Wiggins, Bennett, and Waiters).  And in the process won a NBA Championship.  His moves almost all worked out well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

what future did he mortgage exactly?  He traded a couple of picks that were at the end of the 1st round and a few young players that failed to live up to their potential (Wiggins, Bennett, and Waiters).  And in the process won a NBA Championship.  His moves almost all worked out well.

He traded away draft picks and took on / gave out bad contracts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2019, 08:18:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Trading away draft picks is exactly what you are supposed to do when chasing a championship. When you are is the position the cavs were bad contracts are gonna happen, you have to resign guys for more or longer than you wnat or risk lloing them with no way to replace them. Not saying grif is perfect, but hes a solid to very good GM.

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I mean, what did people expect him to say? lol

Of course he's going to say this, as to say anything different is to weaken his trade market.

Also, let's be clear. While Paul is Davis' agent, he works for Lebron, not Davis.

This is overstated, he works for Davis because ultimately if he doesn't do what Davis wants he gets fired. the Davis thng will work itself out, if they wnat him to stay they will offer the supermax. if he turns it down, thye trade him.

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2019, 09:35:17 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

But he (should I say, Kyrie) won a championship, and they appeared in four straight Finals appearances.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2019, 10:02:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

But he (should I say, Kyrie) won a championship, and they appeared in four straight Finals appearances.

My original point was that Griffin's experience is limited to an extreme "win now" situation.  Those talking like he's one of the best GMs in the NBA are probably overrating him.  Has he shown the ability to draft good players?  (He was all-in on Anthony Bennett).  Has he shown the ability to make trades with an eye toward the future?  What happens if he trades two #1s for Tim Mozgov in New Orleans?  His resume is largely incomplete. 

What worked for Lebron may not necessarily work in New Orleans.  If I'm Anthony Davis, I'm not putting my eggs in the Griffin basket unless and until he shows me the specific plan for adding multiple stars.

Quote from: David Griffin
If the greatest player of his generation isn’t from Akron, Ohio, we would have applied a different game-plan for it all

He's right.  Having the chance to land Lebron changes everything.  But, we haven't seen the "different game-plan for it all", and there's no guarantee that Griffin can achieve success with that alternate plan.  Thus, why it's premature to treat him like a star GM.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:23:50 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2019, 10:25:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Griffin is good at his job but like I was discussing with another fan in this thread, his options are severely limited. I mean sure, he could potentially lock up Anthony Davis, but what moves does he make after that?

They have a top 10 pick this year but that might be their only trade chip. Other than that, it's Jrue Holiday, E'Twaun Moore, Julius Randle with a player option and the RFA rights to Stanley Johnson and Cheick Diallo.

He'd have to get really creative this time to put a good team around Davis, which leads me to believe that Davis being traded is still the likely outcome (unless he says "screw it, I am signing my supermax deal and that's that")

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2019, 11:36:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The all-in and all-out comment gave it away. He's going to present a plan to Davis and offer him the supermax contract.

Davis will either sign it or he won't. If he doesn't sign it then NOP will trade him. Nothing has changed, Griffin is just doing the proper due diligence and PR work.

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2019, 02:17:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If the greatest player of his generation isn’t from Akron, Ohio, we would have applied a different game-plan for it all

LeBron is no longer the greatest player in the league anymore....

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2019, 04:16:26 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

IMO he hasn't been that for a 3rd year now.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2019, 06:09:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He was talking about when he controlled the Cavs, particularly when Lebron decided to rejoin the Cavs.

« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2019, 06:23:47 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
So watching tatum in the playoffs so far and you had the following options for a davis trade...which one?

Brown and hayward and 2 picks for davis and moore

Or

Tatum, smart and 2 picks for davis?