Author Topic: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread  (Read 16808 times)

Jaylen Brown appreciation thread
« on: January 01, 2024, 05:31:17 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 124
When Jaylen entered the league I loved his game - he was super athletic, he played hard on D, and he was a beast attacking the basket - and these were all traits I loved to see. 

Over the past few years I've found myself more and more frustrated by Jaylen.  Every year he seemed more and more like he was unable to overcome his ego - like he felt the neet to constantly compete with Tatum to try to be the #1 guy, and it seemed like this took priority over winning games.  There were the bad forced shots, the excessive threes, the excessive dribbling/ISO play, the unwillingness to pass, the unforced turnovers, the driving blindly into traffic, etc...even early on this season it seemed like it was just more of the same. 

BUT I'm a very strong believer that if you're going to be critical of somebody when they are doing bad, then you also need to praise them when they are doing good...and I have absolutely loved what I have seen from Jaylen Brown over this past 4-6 weeks of play.  Somewhere along the line it seems like something just clicked within him, and he's just changed his mentality completely.  He's been taking very few poor shots, he's been much more aggressive attacking the basket, he's been consistently moving the ball when there's been a better shot available. His shot attempts are down a little, his PPG average is the lowest its been for a couple of years now, and yet I've never been happer with his game then I am right now.  He really does look as if he has well and truly bought in to the team concept and shown a willingness to sacrifice his own personal stats for the good of the team - and when he's playing like this, the Celtics are very, very, very hard to beat. 

So I just wanted to make this post to really vocalise my appreciate for what Jaylen has been doing the past few weeks.  He has been fantastic, and the way he's been playing has been exactly what the Celtics have needed from him for a long time now.  If really hope that this isn't just a brief streak and that he will keep this up long term - if he can then this team is going to be very, very hard to beat in a 7 game series and may have serious "dynasty" potential. 

Re: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 09:53:28 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Cheers to a new year and a great run for Jaylen and the Celtics. He has looked good!

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 10:15:09 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
I am an unapologetic Jaylen fan, but he has always struggled with the nuances of making others better. Jaylen has been his typical dynamic self, but he seems to be making the right play over and over again.

With the addition of Porzingis and Jaylen playing like this, the sky is the limit.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 10:44:30 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2545
Have considered Jaylen my favorite Celtic since he arrived. He’s added to his game every season and when he looked a bit rough early this season I supported the idea that he just needed to find his role. It seems as though he’s finding it.  Jaylen, as the #2 guy for years, had to adjust to legit offensive additions in KP and Jrue, but also the explosion of Derrick White.  JB’s numbers had to take a hit, but he’s averaging 23 a game, and he’s gradually pushing up his rebounding and assist numbers, and he seems more active defensively. Once again, now at 27, he appears to be upping his game.   Celtics fans are so fortunate to have a guy with this much talent who continues to work on his game and is now in a cluster of guys after Tatum who deserve all-star recognition. 

The negativity that JB received early in the year was impatient. Needed to let him find his place.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 11:16:14 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Cheers to a new year and a great run for Jaylen and the Celtics. He has looked good!
Yep. If the team is going to come close to our ceiling JB will be a big part in making a deep run come playoff time and - if he can finally break the Moranis curse - we're looking at a very good team for the foreseeable future, not just this season.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 11:47:21 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Yep. If the team is going to come close to our ceiling JB will be a big part in making a deep run come playoff time and - if he can finally break the Moranis curse - we're looking at a very good team for the foreseeable future, not just this season.

What is the Moranis curse?

I just assume if Mo says something, the opposite will happen.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 880
He had been averaging between 23 and 27 pts/gm for the last 4 seasons as the #2 guy on a winning team (meaning not padded with empty stats).  That is not easy to do. He has been an all star and all NBA.  He has been really good all along.

Now he is upping his decision making. He has added a reliable and unstoppable midrange fadeaway. I never understood the lack of appreciation but glad to see him getting some.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 01:05:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've always loved JB.  At least, JB the player.  Some of his alignment with anti-semitism and black supremacy rubs me the wrong way, but I've compartmentalized that.  As a player, he improves pretty much every year.  He also seems like he has been a leader in embracing the new guys, particularly KP. 

That said, he's going to be under a microscope in the playoffs.  He's under pressure to perform, probably moreso than Tatum.  Of our core, he's the likeliest to be moved if management decides there needs to be another (cheaper) reset.  Joe would be first out the door, but if JB loses composure with a bunch of turnovers again, I worry that he'd be next.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2957
Probably his best stretch in his career.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 02:10:56 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 175
When Jaylen entered the league I loved his game - he was super athletic, he played hard on D, and he was a beast attacking the basket - and these were all traits I loved to see. 

Over the past few years I've found myself more and more frustrated by Jaylen.  Every year he seemed more and more like he was unable to overcome his ego
   Psychology has a name for the tendency, seen on sports blogs and everywhere else, to explain a person's actions by reference to their character. It's called the Fundamental Attribution Error- not taking into account context but making character judgments. Marcus Smart couldn't have been shooting threes because his coaches told him to, it had to be because his ego thought he was part of a big 3. And Jaylen Brown couldn't have been so focused on his own shot because his coaches wanted that, it's because his ego wanted to be equal to Tatum.
   JB himself said that the difference this year is coaching.
"Jay King: Jaylen Brown said the Celtics’ coaching has been “excellent this year” in making sure the players see the game the way it’s supposed to be played. “Joe has encouraged us all to think the game.” – via Twitter ByJayKing.
   Think about how quickly JB developed chemistry and a lethal two man game with Porzingas. Is it only Brown's fault that Tatum and him have taken a longer time to learn to play together effectively?
   I have to give credit to the whole coaching team, including (gasp) Joe, as well as JB himself for his current level of play.

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 02:52:17 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm probably a bit biased because JB is my favorite player since Pierce.  But even I've been frustrated at times with some of his decision making within the past few seasons.  Right now there's no doubt he's playing the best basketball of his career.  I don't care about basic stats such as PPG (which so far is down for him this season).  I care about efficiency and making the right play, which JB is doing now.

JB has gotten trashed on this board in recent years.  I went over to RealGM last season and it was even worse there.  That's fine.  Fans are free to like, dislike, criticize, praise, etc. any player, coach, ownership, or other personnel how they want.  It's what fans do.  No need to get completely bent out of shape because of another person's opinion.

With that said, I don't quite understand the level of criticism JB has gotten.

- He's improved his game every single year he's been in the league.  Excellent work ethic.  He's still only 27 and is still improving.
- Plays hard.  Gets lost on team defense sometimes, but his individual defense is elite.  Recall how he shut down Siakam for an entire series.  These players don't grow on trees.
- Even if you don't agree with his stances on social issues, you cannot doubt that he is committed to giving back to the community.
- Doesn't get in trouble off the court.  Seems to have high character.
- He even came off the bench in his 3rd year despite continued development, which he handled well.
- Homegrown all-star, which we really shouldn't take for granted.  Ainge made a great pick. 
- Improving as a leader.  It's easy for pro athletes to have a massive ego.  We should be thankful we have a good locker room.  At worst, you'd have a Gilbert Arenas on your team.

I'm glad we have him under contract for the foreseeable future.  I believe in the Jays as a core.  The championship window is open.  And I think JB has actually turned the corner, something that KP's presence helped tremendously.  He'll never be an elite playmaker, but with Tatum at his side he doesn't need to be.  The big test obviously is the playoffs.  But if he can elevate his teammates while also getting his own, we will be the obvious favorites.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 03:16:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm probably a bit biased because JB is my favorite player since Pierce.  But even I've been frustrated at times with some of his decision making within the past few seasons.  Right now there's no doubt he's playing the best basketball of his career.  I don't care about basic stats such as PPG (which so far is down for him this season).  I care about efficiency and making the right play, which JB is doing now.

JB has gotten trashed on this board in recent years.  I went over to RealGM last season and it was even worse there.  That's fine.  Fans are free to like, dislike, criticize, praise, etc. any player, coach, ownership, or other personnel how they want.  It's what fans do.  No need to get completely bent out of shape because of another person's opinion.

- He's improved his game every single year he's been in the league.  Excellent work ethic.  He's still only 27 and is still improving.
- Plays hard.  Gets lost on team defense sometimes, but his individual defense is elite.  Recall how he shut down Siakam for an entire series.  These players don't grow on trees.
- Even if you don't agree with his stances on social issues, you cannot doubt that he is committed to giving back to the community.
- He even came off the bench in his 3rd year despite continued development, which he handled well.
- Homegrown all-star, which we really shouldn't take for granted.  Ainge made a great pick. 
- Improving as a leader.  It's easy for pro athletes to have a massive ego.  We should be thankful we have a good locker room.  At worst, you'd have a Gilbert Arenas on your team.

I'm glad we have him under contract for the foreseeable future.  I believe in the Jays as a core.  The championship window is open.  And I think JB has actually turned the corner, something that KP's presence helped tremendously.  He'll never be an elite playmaker, but with Tatum at his side he doesn't need to be.  The big test obviously is the playoffs.  But if he can elevate his teammates while also getting his own, we will be the obvious favorites.

I think some of the reasons JB gets a bit of grief are:

1.  He's extremely highly paid, but he's not the face of the franchise.  His salary puts an extremely large target on his back.  Most of the highest paid players in the NBA are also the best player on their team.  At least at this moment in time, that's not the case.  So, fans who may not want to criticize JT will feel more easy criticizing JB, even if they're doing the same thing (taking bad shots, making a lot of turnovers);

2.  He's controversial.  I don't want to go into it repeatedly, but I think a lot of people disagree with the "high character" descriptor when he's befriended multiple anti-Semites, and has intentionally left anti-Semitic posts up on his instagram page.  If KP was praising the "energy" of the Aryan Nation outside TD Garden, you'd hope he'd at least apologize and take the post down.  Jaylen wouldn't even do that, which many (including myself) find disturbing.  I root hard for JB, but when he's doing stuff like that, it's hard.  How do you take somebody seriously who talks about equity and an end to oppression on one hand, while he quietly endorses hatred through his social media?

3.  He's complained about the fans not embracing him.  It's a chicken and the egg thing, probably, but JB has indicated through social media that he's not appreciated by fans enough.  A lot of those fans have long memories, and act defensively toward the player.  This gets rinsed and repeated through twitter, talk radio, etc., until the point where it becomes a thing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 03:44:25 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Occam’s Razor: fans are fickle and he played like crap in the playoffs.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 04:15:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
what is the moranis curse you speak or?

Brown has played pretty well the last month or so and actually has gotten himself to a positive on/off differential.  It is good to see, now we just need to keep Brown at this level and get Tatum back to early season Tatum because Tatum's on/off has tumbled as Brown's has improved.  Right now White seems like the most valuable player on the team and that is a problem since Tatum and Brown are both significantly more talented.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 04:17:11 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I think some of the reasons JB gets a bit of grief are:

1.  He's extremely highly paid, but he's not the face of the franchise.  His salary puts an extremely large target on his back.  Most of the highest paid players in the NBA are also the best player on their team.  At least at this moment in time, that's not the case.  So, fans who may not want to criticize JT will feel more easy criticizing JB, even if they're doing the same thing (taking bad shots, making a lot of turnovers);

2.  He's controversial.  I don't want to go into it repeatedly, but I think a lot of people disagree with the "high character" descriptor when he's befriended multiple anti-Semites, and has intentionally left anti-Semitic posts up on his instagram page.  If KP was praising the "energy" of the Aryan Nation outside TD Garden, you'd hope he'd at least apologize and take the post down.  Jaylen wouldn't even do that, which many (including myself) find disturbing.  I root hard for JB, but when he's doing stuff like that, it's hard.  How do you take somebody seriously who talks about equity and an end to oppression on one hand, while he quietly endorses hatred through his social media?

3.  He's complained about the fans not embracing him.  It's a chicken and the egg thing, probably, but JB has indicated through social media that he's not appreciated by fans enough.  A lot of those fans have long memories, and act defensively toward the player.  This gets rinsed and repeated through twitter, talk radio, etc., until the point where it becomes a thing.

All fair points.  With regard to #2, I don't follow athletes lives outside of their respective sports all that much, but if that's true, that's clearly contradictory and is certainly disturbing.

Focusing only on his basketball performance, I very much understand other fans frustration with him.  I just don't think that he deserves as much hate as he has historically received.