Author Topic: USA SOCCER: Myth or Fact  (Read 14849 times)

USA SOCCER: Myth or Fact
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
A post by JVALIN in the greatest franchise thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a couple of guys last week (and they are not the first to voice this sentiment) they basically said and believe that if the best athletes in the US played soccer the US would dominate world soccer. As someone who not only loves soccer but also played the game I disagree because soccer is not about athleticism alone but it requires a lot of skill that needs to be honed through coaching and practice.

For some reason they both thought Allen Iverson would be a great soccer player. As if it was some type of guarantee.

Re: USA SOCCER: Myth or Fact
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 11:33:05 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
With our population, money, and love for sports, I suspect we'd consistently contend for the best in the world.  Just look at how well we do in the Olympics.  Our women dominate soccer.

As for Iverson, I suspect he'd be very good.  No idea how good.  He wasn't just athletic, but was very coordinated as well and skilled.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
A post by JVALIN in the greatest franchise thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a couple of guys last week (and they are not the first to voice this sentiment) they basically said and believe that if the best athletes in the US played soccer the US would dominate world soccer. As someone who not only loves soccer but also played the game I disagree because soccer is not about athleticism alone but it requires a lot of skill that needs to be honed through coaching and practice.

For some reason they both thought Allen Iverson would be a great soccer player. As if it was some type of guarantee.

AI certainly had the stamina to be a soccer player, but beyond that I have no idea, lol ;D.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:35:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

No you're right that those guy are wrong.  Brazil has plenty of excellent athletes and the sport is the lifeblood....not even Brazil has a monopoly.  If soccer were by far the most popular sport in the US, then the US would be quite good and not miss cups as often, and would probably win one or two in the next 24 years, but world domination, no. 

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:50:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

If all our best athletes played soccer we would be a powerhouse nation.

It's not that AI would have been a star soccer player but that a bunch of really gifted kids played basketball and football instead of really diving into soccer and they ended up peaking as Ok collegeplayers when they might have been able to develop into elite soccer players
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
With our population, money, and love for sports, I suspect we'd consistently contend for the best in the world.  Just look at how well we do in the Olympics.  Our women dominate soccer.
To be fair, our women dominate soccer because we're the most advanced country in the world in terms of women's rights/opportunities and as a result had a bit of a head start.  Everywhere else it was about the men for the better part of a century. The rest of the world is now starting to catch up.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:53:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

AI certainly had the stamina to be a soccer player, but beyond that I have no idea, lol ;D.

What about practice? lol

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 12:01:07 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
To be fair, our women dominate soccer because we're the most advanced country in the world in terms of women's rights/opportunities and as a result had a bit of a head start.  Everywhere else it was about the men for the better part of a century. The rest of the world is now starting to catch up.

I agree.  Our men certainly wouldn't dominate like our women have.  I do think we'd consistently contend for World Cup championships and the world #1 ranking, probably more so than any other country.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 12:02:33 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

What about practice? lol

Lol, TP ;D.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 05:56:29 AM »

Online feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
when U S boys of all ages start playing pickup soccer, often, for fun, like thhe rest of the world, then the U S will compete    soccer players are not just great athletes but like with any sport they put the time in    because doing skills with your feet is very difficult it takes maybe even more time than other sports certainly as much work
if AI played as much soccer as he did basketball he would have been excellent but the skill takes work time commitment and opportunity which AI had in basketball
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 06:13:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
when U S boys of all ages start playing pickup soccer, often, for fun, like the rest of the world, then the U S will compete    soccer players are not just great athletes but like with any sport they put the time in    because doing skills with your feet is very difficult it takes maybe even more time than other sports certainly as much work
if AI played as much soccer as he did basketball he would have been excellent but the skill takes work time commitment and opportunity which AI had in basketball

No Brasil, Spain, nor Argentina in the Semis - small ball football doesn't work anymore?

While I would agree with you to an extent, I think that it is starting to become the thing of the past. IMO, the final 6 teams (all European) in the 2018 WC are perhaps the 6 strongest teams physically.
Sure, we can't compare Modrić (out best yet smallest player) and LeBron, Basketball players are just monsters compared to almost anyone. But looking at the best squads in WC you will see a lot of explosive, nimble and tireless athletes.

Regarding the initial thread question; to get that great football footwork (Hakeem), that 2nd nature feet quickness and agility, I believe you need to hone those skills while at 6-9 years of age. Window is gone after that.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 06:17:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If soccer was the only major sport in our country, yes, we’d be dominant. We have a giant population, tons of world-class athletes of all types, and plenty of money to buy the best coaches and facilities.

I expect we’d consistently be the #1 ranked team in the world.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 06:24:06 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
If soccer was the only major sport in our country, yes, we’d be dominant. We have a giant population, tons of world-class athletes of all types, and plenty of money to buy the best coaches and facilities.

I expect we’d consistently be the #1 ranked team in the world.
I would agree with your take.
Still, the love for the football sport, the "culture", can't be imported, that's why it is unlikely you will ever be winning medals there.

Let's say, even if you could import the "love",
would you win it if you had 4 million of the population and scarce funds?  ;)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 07:51:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Being taller isn't a positive in soccer, so some of the best basketball and football players wouldn't be very good soccer players, however if all the great PG's, LB's, RB's, etc. (you know the 5'10" to 6'2" type athletes) focused on soccer from birth, the U.S. would dominate the sport.  That doesn't mean we would win every single time, but the U.S. would be the premier soccer powerhouse.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 08:02:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Being taller isn't a positive in soccer, so some of the best basketball and football players wouldn't be very good soccer players, however if all the great PG's, LB's, RB's, etc. (you know the 5'10" to 6'2" type athletes) focused on soccer from birth, the U.S. would dominate the sport.  That doesn't mean we would win every single time, but the U.S. would be the premier soccer powerhouse.

Imagine Lebron as a goalie, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes