Author Topic: Tanker / Anti-Tanker Threads Are Against the Rules  (Read 3951 times)

Tanker / Anti-Tanker Threads Are Against the Rules
« on: April 26, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Do not label or challenge fellow posters -- either individually or collectively -- in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response.  Dependent upon context, examples include, but are not limited to, labels such as "fake fan", "bandwagon fan", "not a real fan", "hater", "homer", "koolaid drinker", "troll", "green teamer", etc., or phrases such as "when did you stop beating your wife", "why don't you join [Team X's] blog", etc.

Respect each other at all times. Personal attacks are not permitted under any circumstances.  There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster.

Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous to all. Please watch your tone. Constructive criticism is welcome, but insults directed towards other users or the site staff will not be tolerated.

By the rules of the forum, threads that are explicitly created to call out or otherwise invite contention and division by labeling people with certain viewpoints, ought not to be tolerated.

If I am misunderstanding the rules, could the moderators please set me straight?  I am posting this because I am tired of so many threads on these forums being dragged down, and I am especially bothered today by multiple threads created for no reason other than to call out other posters in a disrespectful manner.  I am surprised that this has not been addressed in any way, and that these threads have been allowed to go on for multiple pages.

I do not mean to be disrespectful to the moderators or others running this site, but this is a troubling trend on the boards that's gotten especially bad of late. 

We are all Celtics fans, and we can all be better than this.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Tanker / Anti-Tanker Threads Are Against the Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:28:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think it is all silly. There are pros and cons to building teams by different means. If you support the lottery route, FA route, team or growth through culture route it's all the same. There will be a negative. Because of that there will always be a challenge to the moves and discontent from opposition. You can never please everyone.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:42:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
To be clear, and there's some nuance here, labels aren't in and of themselves forbidden.  Rather, it's when those labels are used in a negative way. 

In essence, if somebody is using "tanker" as a means of describing a philosophy that thousands of fans fall into, that's not necessarily against the rules, so long as it's not used derisively.  In the "who are tankers mad at?" thread, nobody was called out, and I thought it was a pretty respectful thread trying to ask a discussion-worthy question.

The "are you anti-tankers happy now" thread wasn't really within our rules, because as you said, it seemed as though it was created specifically to call out folks, and didn't seem interested in a discussion; it seemed more dismissive and sarcastic than necessary.  Reasonable minds can probably disagree on that, though, and I don't really see anything wrong with "Anti-Tankers"; it would be different if it was "Green Teamers", or something.  However, even under my interpretation, I didn't see it until it was 5 or 6 pages in, and most of the responses have been civil and even proud, so it wasn't locked.  The thread may violate our rules, though, and if I had caught it early it probably would have been locked.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:47:39 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 09:44:27 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
My "Enjoying yourselves anti-tankers thread?" Met none of the things you accused me of doing. At no time have I ever  called someone any of those things or attacked someone with insults. It is a topic prepped to spur a debate on organizational philosophies. One side I completely disagree with and was looking to have a debate on the merits both ways. Tanking/Nontanking.

If a moderator or someone in charge thinks otherwise by all means they should delete it. But by the criteria you brought up it surely does not.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
To be clear, and there's some nuance here, labels aren't in and of themselves forbidden.  Rather, it's when those labels are used in a negative way. 

In essence, if somebody is using "tanker" as a means of describing a philosophy that thousands of fans fall into, that's not necessarily against the rules, so long as it's not used derisively.  In the "who are tankers mad at?" thread, nobody was called out, and I thought it was a pretty respectful thread trying to ask a discussion-worthy question.

The "are you anti-tankers happy now" thread wasn't really within our rules, because as you said, it was created specifically to call out folks, and didn't seem interested in a discussion.  However, I didn't see it until it was 5 or 6 pages in, and most of the responses have been civil and even proud, so it wasn't locked.  The thread does violate our rules, though.

What is against the rules, the title? The "Are you enjoying yourself" bit was over the top but anti-tankers itself cant be consider derogative. What else would I call people who share that view point?

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 10:01:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The "are you anti-tankers happy now" thread wasn't really within our rules, because as you said, it was created specifically to call out folks, and didn't seem interested in a discussion.  However, I didn't see it until it was 5 or 6 pages in, and most of the responses have been civil and even proud, so it wasn't locked.  The thread does violate our rules, though.

What is against the rules, the title? The "Are you enjoying yourself" bit was over the top but anti-tankers itself cant be consider derogative. What else would I call people who share that view point?

I edited my comments somewhat, because I don't know what's in your head.

However, using terms like "enjoying yourselves", the italicized ""valuable playoff experience!", "newflash", "nope, sorry, try again next time" are all seemingly for the purpose of calling out others and belittling their viewpoint.

It's not the term "anti-tankers" that's bothersome, it's the tone of the thread, which, in the wake of a tough playoff loss, amounts to "I told you so, idiots."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Call them "Playoff over lottery supporters"

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Thank you for the reply, Roy.  I appreciate the explanation.

I won't say anymore beyond challenging other posters - all posters, all fans on these forums - to think about how they are adding to the discussion, advancing it beyond things that have been tread over and over, rather than creating two opposing sides with no middle ground.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Call them "Playoff over lottery supporters"

Call them Celtics fans.

Maybe you don't need to call out other posters by referring to an overly simplistic, often insultingly straw-manned version of their viewpoint?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 10:12:40 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

I edited my comments somewhat, because I don't know what's in your head.

However, using terms like "enjoying yourselves", the italicized ""valuable playoff experience!", "newflash", "nope, sorry, try again next time" are all seemingly for the purpose of calling out others and belittling their viewpoint.

It's not the term "anti-tankers" that's bothersome, it's the tone of the thread, which, in the wake of a tough playoff loss, amounts to "I told you so, idiots."

I think their viewpoint is idiotic not themselves as human beings. I'm not going to sit back and say that people who want their team to win are idiots because that is ridiculous. All I can do is try and convince them why I think the ultimate goal of building a team and continually winning is much easier if we were at the bottom of the standings for 2-3 years. Hey I'm as mad as the people who just rooted for a team that got swept. Albeit for different reasons.