Author Topic: The Story of Marcus Smart  (Read 3545 times)

Re: The Story of Marcus Smart
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 11:25:34 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
a tp for anyone who posts a video of smart's ejection and events leading up to it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMpZaqytj8

This is a gist of what happened. Basically they were talking, refs didn't like it, and Smart charges towards DeAndre leaving up to the next technical foul.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 12:17:01 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
a tp for anyone who posts a video of smart's ejection and events leading up to it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMpZaqytj8

This is a gist of what happened. Basically they were talking, refs didn't like it, and Smart charges towards DeAndre leaving up to the next technical foul.

His second tech was for chatting with Bembry.  He'd already been tossed.  That's why he let himself get mad and charge Bembry. 

Good job Smart.  Love you!  So glad you're a Celtic! 

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 02:32:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Could only find this. Not a great look, but I didn’t see what caused him to be so angry / hear what Bembry said to Smart, but considering Smart’s pretty recent family tragedy + the kind of trash talk I know is thrown around the court I could imagine a short fuse.

My guess and it is only a guess, was it was about his deceased mother.

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 02:54:37 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Could only find this. Not a great look, but I didn’t see what caused him to be so angry / hear what Bembry said to Smart, but considering Smart’s pretty recent family tragedy + the kind of trash talk I know is thrown around the court I could imagine a short fuse.

That's actually plausible. Taking it further, Bembry could have made some sexual jab toward Smart's mother not knowing that she died.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 03:01:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That's actually plausible. Taking it further, Bembry could have made some sexual jab toward Smart's mother not knowing that she died.
This is exactly what I was implying. That would've set me off
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 07:09:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

That’s where my head went too, but it’s some narrative driven bullcarp.

The most likely thing is that Marcus lost his temper over some trivial stuff.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 07:22:26 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

That’s where my head went too, but it’s some narrative driven bullcarp.

The most likely thing is that Marcus lost his temper over some trivial stuff.

My head went to the same place, mainly as a reason to give Marcus the benefit of the doubt.  As you said, it was most likely something trivial.  It's frustrating to lose Marcus when we're trying to move up in the standings, but I've learned to accept that this is part of the deal with him.  At least we got this out of the way in January.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 08:22:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It seems far fetched that it was about his mother.  I really doubt that.  Maybe a generic thing like calling Smart a MF'er could have set him off, but I'm sure he didn't get personal regarding his mom.  Probably just something trivial since Smart was already all fired up.  Some of you guys automatically think the worst.

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
His reaction was not trivial was it?

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »

Offline buzz4209

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
It seems far fetched that it was about his mother.  I really doubt that.  Maybe a generic thing like calling Smart a MF'er could have set him off, but I'm sure he didn't get personal regarding his mom.  Probably just something trivial since Smart was already all fired up.  Some of you guys automatically think the worst.

Watching it last night I thought he said "you can't say that about my mother" to Bembry. But I was lip reading so i could totally be making that up.

I think Marcus was keeping it together until the tech, he had turned away from Bembry when the whistle blew.

Refs were awful, rest of the team was turtleing, needed that fire, I'm going to play defense even if you keep making bad calls mentality. I think the ref was looking for an excuse to toss Marcus though, he was running hot.

Kind of amazed a rookie on an awful team is getting away with the level of trash talk I was seeing from Bembry.

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I hope I'm wrong, but I think we should come to the realization that the NBA and some players too, want the game to look like it does at the all-star game. They want a wide-open slam and jam 3 point shooting contest where defense has little to do with winning.

You can tell by the way the game is being called by these incompetent refs that we're at the player training stages of that very process.

Players like Smart will certainly be the odd man out until playoff time rolls around.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 12:34:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
His reaction was not trivial was it?

No but that’s kinda who he is. Marcus Smart is a package deal, the same guy diving for loose balls in blowouts is gonna take a run at DeAndre Bembry for spouting off at the mouth about some dumb stuff.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm just really hoping he's not out for the Warriors game because of this. If so that's a massive loss honestly for that game.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Wouldn't surprise me if Smart charged Pembry just to see him flinch - just to punk him, like, "yeah talk all you want but you don't want any part of this."
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 01:23:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Marcus Smart is a package deal, the same guy diving for loose balls in blowouts is gonna take a run at DeAndre Bembry for spouting off at the mouth about some dumb stuff.

But to charge back in them after being separated.  To me the funny thing is that Bembry was like most NBA players a poser, he was only going forward when Marcus was being held and getting back when Marcus was coming out of him.   Maybe Bembry should speak in the Gillette commercials, eh?