Author Topic: Marcus Morris Fires Rich Paul  (Read 9022 times)

Re: Marcus Morris Fires Rich Paul
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 01:04:21 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Am I alone in loving this?

You are not alone.
not alone :)

so eager for the lebron era to be over.
lets move on.
Second this. With most great players you don't want them to hang it up - you want them to play as long as they can.  But with LeBron - his era can't end soon enough. 

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2019, 06:37:41 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Rumors on Twitter say that Rich Paul convinced Marcus Morris to turn down a 3-4 year contract from Clippers worth 41 million dollars.

If the rumors are true, that would explain why Morris chose to fire Rich Paul.

But did the Clippers have that type of money available after the Leonard signing and pg trade?

Presumably this was before both of those things happening. The implication is Mook might think Paul told him to turn it down not because of better offers being out there but to try and weaken a competitor for Kawhi. Basically working against his own client's interests to bolster what LeBron and AD wanted.

Morris sacrificed his "image" to beat Rich Paul and LeBron. I respect that then. I hate anything LeBron/Lakers/Rich Paul so there ya go!

This makes no sense at all. Doesn't Mook going to the Clippers make it harder for Kawhi and George to pull off their mega-team?
I am by no means an expert when it comes to salary cap rules, but supposedly Mook received the Clippers offer before they decided to absorb Moe Harkless' 10 million dollar contract in the Jimmy Butler 4-team trade. If they hadn't done that, they would have been able to offer Mook a contract corresponding to Moe Harkless' in terms of money, right?
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
It will be interesting to see if Paul stays in business after Lebron retires. (i guess you can count on Lebron's kid as a client. )

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
It will be interesting to see if Paul stays in business after Lebron retires. (i guess you can count on Lebron's kid as a client. )
I saw somewhere that he was 3rd in client money and 7th in number of clients.  He's got several big name clients besides Lebron. 

https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent-client-list/Rich-Paul/258 

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 09:31:09 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I saw somewhere that he was 3rd in client money and 7th in number of clients.  He's got several big name clients besides Lebron. 

Right. but Lebron is the reason he has does clients. will they stay with him after Lebron? my guess not that many.

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Right. but Lebron is the reason he has does clients. will they stay with him after Lebron? my guess not that many.

Lebron may have opened the door to those clients but I doubt they'd be staying with him if they didn't feel like he was doing a good job for them. 

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 10:04:08 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Rumors on Twitter say that Rich Paul convinced Marcus Morris to turn down a 3-4 year contract from Clippers worth 41 million dollars.

If the rumors are true, that would explain why Morris chose to fire Rich Paul.

But did the Clippers have that type of money available after the Leonard signing and pg trade?

Presumably this was before both of those things happening. The implication is Mook might think Paul told him to turn it down not because of better offers being out there but to try and weaken a competitor for Kawhi. Basically working against his own client's interests to bolster what LeBron and AD wanted.

Morris sacrificed his "image" to beat Rich Paul and LeBron. I respect that then. I hate anything LeBron/Lakers/Rich Paul so there ya go!

This makes no sense at all. Doesn't Mook going to the Clippers make it harder for Kawhi and George to pull off their mega-team?
I am by no means an expert when it comes to salary cap rules, but supposedly Mook received the Clippers offer before they decided to absorb Moe Harkless' 10 million dollar contract in the Jimmy Butler 4-team trade. If they hadn't done that, they would have been able to offer Mook a contract corresponding to Moe Harkless' in terms of money, right?

Correct, or I think they could've given him the Pat Beverley money, though they probably wouldn't want to.

Regardless of it makes sense to the Clippers, if they offered him the deal that means Paul at minimum gave Morris bad advice that cost him a lot of money, which is fireable by itself. If Mook also has the belief he was steered away because it conflicted with the interests of Paul's other clients that's just an extra layer of bad.

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Paul definitely tells his clients to say no to deals offered early frequently. KCP, Bledsoe, etc...

Sometimes that works out, Bledsoe with the Suns, and other times the Lakers piggy bank makes good on it in short term deals, KCP, other times they just get screwed, Noel.

(Noel was Happy's client when he said no against Happy's advice supposed to the Mavericks big offer but I'm betting he said no with Paul in his ear given that's where he went after firing Happy)

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Paul definitely tells his clients to say no to deals offered early frequently. KCP, Bledsoe, etc...

Sometimes that works out, Bledsoe with the Suns, and other times the Lakers piggy bank makes good on it in short term deals, KCP, other times they just get screwed, Noel.

(Noel was Happy's client when he said no against Happy's advice supposed to the Mavericks big offer but I'm betting he said no with Paul in his ear given that's where he went after firing Happy)
Noel is really an extra special idiot if he signed with the person who advised him not to take the 4yr/72M deal. 

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Noel is really an extra special idiot if he signed with the person who advised him not to take the 4yr/72M deal.
Agreed. I am betting this is a case where every party blames someone else for that screw up.

(Happy blames Noel, Noel blames Happy, Mavericks thank both of them)

NBA reporters are pretty locked in that Noel rejected the deal against agent advice, so that's my belief.

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Didn't KCP also lose a fair amount of $ turning down Detroit's deal? I think they were offering $80-odd million. He hasn't made that up though by now it's so clear he's not worth it that what he's getting still seems like stealing.

Morris may yet come out ahead now that he's positioned himself to be an FA next year in a market with a lot of cap space and not many good FAs. But he's still got every right to be ticked off.

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Lebron may have opened the door to those clients but I doubt they'd be staying with him if they didn't feel like he was doing a good job for them.

I hear a big part of the appeal for some players is "he's just like us".  Meaning he's young like them (google says 37), grew up poor and black, and clawed his way to the top by working hard.  I can understand that, and I'd definitely use that pitch too if I were him.   The age gap is growing though, but he can still probably pull that off for at least another 10 years.

Though I get the LeBron questions too.  How much of his power is from LeBron?  Do all his non-star players get sweet Nike deals?  Like maybe guys like Tristan Thompson and Marcus Morris have $500k Nike deals when they'd normally get $250k, maybe Terrance Ferguson and Darius Bazley get $200k Nike deals they'd normally get $100k deals?  Not that this is a Rich Paul exclusive thing, any good agent would leverage his power like that, but do those sweet Nike deals go away when LeBron does?  Sure Paul still has Ben Simmons, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green, but all of them together probably don't sell the amount of product LeBron does.

At the same time, how many teams care about pleasing LeBron/Rich Paul still?  In the past, there was the team LeBron was on plus the 3-4 big market teams hoping to nab him in past free agency.  I got to imagine the LeBron free agency dream is all but dead, so there's probably no teams not named the Lakers worried about appealing to LeBron anymore.

Power agents come and go though, so even if he's not LeBron dependent at all, I'd be surprised to see Paul remain as powerful 5 years from now.  Unless LeBron Jr. is even better and more marketable than his dad and uses Rich Paul too (and dollars to donuts he will use Paul).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 12:11:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Didn't KCP also lose a fair amount of $ turning down Detroit's deal? I think they were offering $80-odd million. He hasn't made that up though by now it's so clear he's not worth it that what he's getting still seems like stealing.

Morris may yet come out ahead now that he's positioned himself to be an FA next year in a market with a lot of cap space and not many good FAs. But he's still got every right to be ticked off.
Pistons offered 5 years, 80 million.  His first 2 seasons he made 30 million and he is signed for just 8 million next year (with a player option for the year after at like 8.5 million).  So yeah, cost himself a bunch of money.

Edit: That isn't to say Paul wasn't telling him to take the money from Detroit.  Or maybe he told him to leave the Lakers last year or this year for more money elsewhere, but KCP maybe just liked being in LA.  There are so many possibilities here that there is no way to know if Paul should be blamed for the rejection of that offer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Marcus Morris says Paul told him to take Clippers deal.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/status/1153411660352282635?s=19
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2019, 09:56:26 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Marcus Morris says Paul told him to take Clippers deal.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/status/1153411660352282635?s=19

Take Clippers deal so Clippers can't land both Kawhi and Paul George.

Good on you for denying Rich Paul, Morris.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)