Author Topic: Mannix on OMF radio show.  (Read 7738 times)

Re: Mannix on OMF radio show.
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
So I try to avoid talk radio like crazy but turn to WEEI just as Ordway, Merloni and Fauria started an interview with Chris Mannix. He said a bunch of interesting stuff.

The Celtics and Kyrie have had no contact in weeks. He thinks Kyrie is gone but...it's Kyrie, so who knows.

Kyrie didn't like the control Stevens had on the team and Stevens game in and game out philosophy. Stevens wants to win every game and get better every game whereas, Kyrie want to float during the season then turn it on late and in the playoffs.

Kyrie and Brown's relationship was terrible and caused problems.

Ainge never really made a formal offer but discussed different forms of an offer with New Orleans. Mannix thought Ainge would offer Tatum for Davis but only Tatum and filler and no where close to the draft package that LA gave them. There would be no Tatum + Brown or the Memphis pick.

By salary filler he meant Marcus Smart who was definitely on the market.

He doesn't see anyway Ainge goes after Capela or Conley due to salary reasons.

He thinks a new Horford 3 year deal gets done, maybe by this weekend but if they are in negotiations, could get an extension on Horford's opt out date and finish it before the end of the month.

He sees no way Hayward is moved as his value across the league is too low to get anything back resembling value.

He thinks Rozier might be an option to return but only if they feel they can resurrect his game, attitude and relationships on the team back to where he was during the 2018 playoff run. Rozier was a major problem last year.

At that point, I got out of the car so he might have had more to add. You can probably find the interview on WEEI.com if you want to give a listen. It was refreshing since WEEI has so few good Celtic spots on their shows.

TP for the summary Nick. All makes sense.

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Kyrie didn't like the control Stevens had on the team and Stevens game in and game out philosophy. Stevens wants to win every game and get better every game whereas, Kyrie want to float during the season then turn it on late and in the playoffs.

This is where I call bull. Part of the post-Orlando game blow up was because we were losing. Kyrie saying "we can't be happy being 5th" seems to go against him just being fine cruising. He changed his tune later to "we'll be fine in the playoffs" once it become clear we weren't going to make up enough ground in the standings to move up.

I also think it's some serious revisionist history to think Kyrie coasted in the regular season. Aside from the stats - which were All-NBA worthy - he worked harder on defense than at any point in his career. There's just no evidence that he wanted to coast during the regular season.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2019, 06:45:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This is going to be a long, miserable season!!!!!!

-Kyrie's gone
-No Conley
-No Capela
-No AD

We are basically stuck with the same team as last year, but without Kyrie.

Wow....where did it all go so wrong?

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2019, 06:49:56 PM »

Offline Mingia

• NCE
  • Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1

-Kyrie's gone
-No Conley
-No Capela
-No AD

Where basically stuck with the same team as last year, but without Kyrie.

Don't forget that team last year without Kyrie went to the ECF.  Add a healthy Hayward...Who knows it might surprise you. I loved the grit of that team.

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
So I try to avoid talk radio like crazy but turn to WEEI just as Ordway, Merloni and Fauria started an interview with Chris Mannix. He said a bunch of interesting stuff.

The Celtics and Kyrie have had no contact in weeks. He thinks Kyrie is gone but...it's Kyrie, so who knows.

Ainge never really made a formal offer but discussed different forms of an offer with New Orleans. Mannix thought Ainge would offer Tatum for Davis but only Tatum and filler and no where close to the draft package that LA gave them. There would be no Tatum + Brown or the Memphis pick.

He thinks a new Horford 3 year deal gets done, maybe by this weekend but if they are in negotiations, could get an extension on Horford's opt out date and finish it before the end of the month.

He sees no way Hayward is moved as his value across the league is too low to get anything back resembling value.

He thinks Rozier might be an option to return but only if they feel they can resurrect his game, attitude and relationships on the team back to where he was during the 2018 playoff run. Rozier was a major problem last year.

At that point, I got out of the car so he might have had more to add. You can probably find the interview on WEEI.com if you want to give a listen. It was refreshing since WEEI has so few good Celtic spots on their shows.

I was just watching Mannix and Forsberg on Early Edition tonight and they said pretty much the same thing. I always thought that when Kyrie said "the young guys" he was referring to Brown and Rozier. Because Kyrie gets on well with Jayson, who is his closest friend on the team and he's taken on somewhat of a mentor role which Tatum has been receptive to. I guess the other two got a bit cocky after the ECF run. Plus they were the ones whose roles suffered the most - their roles shrank while Tatum's increased, which probably stuck in Jaylen's craw because he has a year's seniority on Tatum. Though to be honest Brown's role was really taken by Smart and Mook, he couldn't really blame Kyrie for that.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2019, 06:51:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

-Kyrie's gone
-No Conley
-No Capela
-No AD

Don't forget that team last year without Kyrie went to the ECF.  Add a healthy Hayward...Who knows it might surprise you. I loved the grit of that team.

Here we go again.....the Eastern Conference sucked that year, that's why the Celts made it so far. Had nothing to do with grit.

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2019, 06:52:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I was just watching Mannix and Forsberg on Early Edition tonight and they said pretty much the same thing. I always thought that when Kyrie said "the young guys" he was referring to Brown and Rozier. Because Kyrie gets on well with Jayson, who is his closest friend on the team and he's taken on somewhat of a mentor role which Tatum has been receptive to. I guess the other two got a bit cocky after the ECF run. Plus they were the ones whose roles suffered the most - their roles shrank while Tatum's increased, which probably stuck in Jaylen's craw because he has a year's seniority on Tatum. Though to be honest Brown's role was really taken by Smart and Mook, he couldn't really blame Kyrie for that.

So Brown and Rozier are a couple of punks and we're stuck with them.

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 06:52:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

-Kyrie's gone
-No Conley
-No Capela
-No AD

Here we go again.....the Eastern Conference sucked that year, that's why the Celts made it so far. Had nothing to do with grit.
how did the bucks suck that year

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2019, 06:57:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Perhaps we need to acknowledge that brown, much like Rozier, was a chemistry problem this season that helped sink our season. Brown was disastrous in the early part of the season, started sulking, attempted to force the issue and got worse ... and eventually started making positive contributions, but the Jackie mac article about him earlier in the year painted the picture of him as aloof and detached. We saw on multiple occasions vets like smart and Morris rip into him publicly for blown defensive assignments or not making the right play.  Kyrie alluded to the young guys needing to focus and buy in, but fans just took the side of the young guys and whined that kyrie threw them under the bus...  perhaps they deserved to be thrown under the bus. 

Perhaps Brown and Rozier both let the fluke playoff run get to their heads and were problems this year.

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

So Brown and Rozier are a couple of punks and we're stuck with them.

I don't think lumping those guys together as the big malcontents is fair.  Brown was benched and handled it well and finished the year as one of our top 3 players.  If he had some personality clashes with Kyrie about Kyrie going to the media to throw him under the bus then I have more respect for Brown that he stood up for himself that he was more logical and reasonable about the bad play being on the whole team.

Rozier, who knows, his comments after the season ended couldn't have sat well with BS and DA.  But DA and Brad have enough info on Terry to know if he is going to be a problem this coming season.  They have control over what happens with that situation.  If they don't want Terry back he wont be back.

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

-Kyrie's gone
-No Conley
-No Capela
-No AD

And frankly, I have no interest in going back to being a scrappy underdog who catches people by surprise. I want a championship.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 07:01:25 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Perhaps we need to acknowledge that brown, much like Rozier, was a chemistry problem this season that helped sink our season. Brown was disastrous in the early part of the season, started sulking, attempted to force the issue and got worse ... and eventually started making positive contributions, but the Jackie mac article about him earlier in the year painted the picture of him as aloof and detached. We saw on multiple occasions vets like smart and Morris rip into him publicly for blown defensive assignments or not making the right play.  Kyrie alluded to the young guys needing to focus and buy in, but fans just took the side of the young guys and whined that kyrie threw them under the bus...  perhaps they deserved to be thrown under the bus. 

Perhaps Brown and Rozier both let the fluke playoff run get to their heads and were problems this year.

At least brown got his act together

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 07:03:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

-Kyrie's gone
-No Conley
-No Capela
-No AD

That said, Toronto could easily lose Kawhi and Philly could just as easily lose Butler, both to the Western Conference.  Khris Middleton also doesn’t seem to be a lock to remain in Milwaukee (although I expect he will).  So next year’s Eastern Conference could be similarly weak.

Also, in this back-and-forth we have going here about player value, does no one remember how absolutely terrible Kyrie was on an individual level vs. Milwaukee?  He flat out stunk in a way that really couldn’t be blamed on relationships with teammates, coaching, or anything else.  We were up 1-0 on Milwaukee, then Kyrie got into a really bad place that he couldn’t get out of, and ultimately took the team with him.  He couldn’t make a shot, and his response was to shoot more, and more, and more.

I’ll take my shot with the 2018 team having learned some lessons in the last 13 months (coaches and management included), and with Kyrie elsewhere.  They’re still young, all in all, and hopefully they can find that joy of playing basketball with and for each other.  There was no joy last year, and it showed.

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2019, 07:04:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Probably, but Kyrie was a flake who lacked even basic leadership skills, as well.  Kyrie has done this type of thing before.  Celtics fans are acting like the guy who starts dating a smoking hot woman while she's still in a relationship, and then gets surprised when that woman steps out on them.

We took a risk on a volatile star, and it worked out for about a year or so, before falling apart.  Sometimes, things don't work out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2019, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This is where I call bull. Part of the post-Orlando game blow up was because we were losing. Kyrie saying "we can't be happy being 5th" seems to go against him just being fine cruising. He changed his tune later to "we'll be fine in the playoffs" once it become clear we weren't going to make up enough ground in the standings to move up.

I also think it's some serious revisionist history to think Kyrie coasted in the regular season. Aside from the stats - which were All-NBA worthy - he worked harder on defense than at any point in his career. There's just no evidence that he wanted to coast during the regular season.
Could well be. It's Chris Mannix and sometimes his reporting can be off. Perhaps he was talking about Kyrie's need for days off. I don't know, that's my speculation.