Author Topic: Timelord extension - what is he worth?  (Read 6245 times)

Re: Timelord extension - what is he worth?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 01:32:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Do you agree to an extension, I think we would at least have to pay him more than the MLE. So, $10 million per year?
We should keep Theis if Timelord costs $10M. Based on what does he deserve that much ?

If you project him to become our starting center by next season, $10 mm per for 2 years with team option for a 3rd year would be a good contract.

If you project him to be our 3rd string center, then you let him test the market, and run the risk that a team with a lot of cap space signs him to a Myles Turner sized contract, and then listen to the NKY fans cry about Danny screwing up.
I love having that luxury 🤣. I’m not getting paid to make  roster decisions but can critique those decisions in hindsight lol

NKY fan, its time to update your broken celticsblog avatar  ;D

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=80755.0

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 01:35:53 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Do you agree to an extension, I think we would at least have to pay him more than the MLE. So, $10 million per year?
We should keep Theis if Timelord costs $10M. Based on what does he deserve that much ?

If you project him to become our starting center by next season, $10 mm per for 2 years with team option for a 3rd year would be a good contract.

If you project him to be our 3rd string center, then you let him test the market, and run the risk that a team with a lot of cap space signs him to a Myles Turner sized contract, and then listen to the NKY fans cry about Danny screwing up.
I love having that luxury 🤣. I’m not getting paid to make  roster decisions but can critique those decisions in hindsight lol

NKY fan, its time to update your broken celticsblog avatar  ;D

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=80755.0
It’s a half a second gif. Is that why it’s not working? I see it when I am signed in and preview a tread

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 01:55:49 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I pass on him..he will never improve..still tick that Ainge pass on Mitchell Robinson..I wanted him sooo badly
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 02:34:21 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
You just can't give him a big contract. He still looks like a rookie much of the time, and time is running out to evaluate him.

I'm really hoping he can take a big leap soon, but you can't take that leap sitting on the bench.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I pass on him..he will never improve..still tick that Ainge pass on Mitchell Robinson..I wanted him sooo badly

I did too, but do you really think Robinson is better than Robert Williams?  I know NY and general media hype him, but honestly don't think he is an upgrade.  Rob is a better passer. Mitchell a better rebounder (especially offensive glass) and slightly better shot blocker. He is taller, but they have same wing span. 

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 04:24:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
$3-5 million per year.

Needs to stay healthy to get MLE money.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Jaylen, Jayson, and Rajon Rondo are the only Celtics players Ainge has agreed to a rookie extension with. I would bet serious money that Timelord doesn't join that list.

We'll go into the 2022 offseason with him as an RFA and a much better idea of what he's worth. That's a good spot to be in
I'm bitter.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 04:44:36 PM »

Online ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
$22m/4yrs
ok fine

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 05:10:44 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don’t think he’s worth much more than $5-7 mil. Don’t think he has really shown much consistent good play for extended period of time.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 05:39:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jaylen, Jayson, and Rajon Rondo are the only Celtics players Ainge has agreed to a rookie extension with. I would bet serious money that Timelord doesn't join that list.

We'll go into the 2022 offseason with him as an RFA and a much better idea of what he's worth. That's a good spot to be in

can you explain

Wasn't Pierce, Brown and Smart also extended?

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 05:59:41 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

can you explain

He said Jaylen up there. Pierce is old case. Smart didn’t get extended he signed after being extended qualifying offer

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

can you explain

Pierce I assume was extended before Ainge took over. I think Smart reached free agency (albeit restricted).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 08:17:05 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Stevens isn't comfortable with Robert on the floor for certain matchups and I beiieve he sees Robert getting "attacked" on defense by opposing coaches.

When he's on the court with the right lineup he is killer on offense.

Hope he improves and I don't see why anyone needs to pay him at this point.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2021, 08:21:57 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
He's worth what a team is willing to pay him.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:13 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

can you explain

He said Jaylen up there. Pierce is old case. Smart didn’t get extended he signed after being extended qualifying offer

100%. Ainge took over in 2003 (after Pierce's 5th year), so he didn't have anything to do with his rookie extension. Smart actually makes a pretty good analogue for the Timelord situation, where there's no way the team agrees to a big enough deal to make it worth his while (and vice versa).

No point in tying up money and years for a player that potentially isn't worth it, and no point for the player not to bet on themselves when the alternative isn't that great of a contract
I'm bitter.