Author Topic: Trade for the present and future  (Read 1627 times)

Trade for the present and future
« on: January 30, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Celtics acquire: Aaron Gordon, Mo Bamba

Orlando receive: Marcus Smart, Robert Williams

For me both are distressed assets as neither have really been in the best situation, with turnover of gm’s and coaches stunting the potential of both players. Bamba can play and learn behind Thompson and in two years will be able to replace him. Gordon with the right coaching could be our Marion and even capable of playing small ball five.

Orlando get a culture setter in Smart who with Fultz would make one of the best defensive backcourts in the league and Williams is more league ready for Orlando than Bamba and could play some 4 next to Vucevic with the right line ups.

Thompson/Bamba/Fall
Gordon/Theis/G.Williams
Tatum/Ojeleye/Green/Nesmith
Brown/Prichard/Langford/Edwards
Walker/Teague/Waters

Re: Trade for the present and future
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 05:39:21 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149

Count me in

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:46:33 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
I feel like people who want Aaron Gordon haven't actually watched him play much.  People salivate over this idea they have in their heads of an ultimate glue guy - elite multipositional defender, great rebounder, good passer, good finisher, enough shooting to keep people honest.  Except that's what Aaron Gordon could have been, not what Aaron Gordon is.

His reality is a mediocre iso slasher who doesn't actually do anything else at a high enough level to win a lot of basketball games.  He's just a very forgettable player.  Maybe a new environment would help him take off, but I'm not willing to give up Smart on the off chance that Gordon becomes something he hasn't been in the NBA. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:54:39 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 05:51:47 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
When Marcus Smart is the best offensive player in the deal.....
ok fine

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 06:03:51 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Count me out.

Smart > Gordon
Williams > Bamba

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 06:21:40 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I feel like people who want Aaron Gordon haven't actually watched him play much.  People salivate over this idea they have in their heads of an ultimate glue guy - elite multipositional defender, great rebounder, good passer, good finisher, enough shooting to keep people honest.  Except that's what Aaron Gordon could have been, not what Aaron Gordon is.

His reality is a mediocre iso slasher who doesn't actually do anything else at a high enough level to win a lot of basketball games.  He's just a very forgettable player.  Maybe a new environment would help him take off, but I'm not willing to give up Smart on the off chance that Gordon becomes something he hasn't been in the NBA.

According to fivethirtyeight Gordon is the 41 best league defender above Draymond and Bam, and that ranking would be higher if you exclude bench and limited minutes players.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 06:41:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Count me out.

Smart > Gordon
Williams > Bamba
Yeah, I don't get exchanging Timelord for Bamba? Why? Because Bamba might be the starter in two years, when Williams looks like a better player and could be the starter as soon as later this year or next year? Not getting that. Is this just a height fetish thing?

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 06:46:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

According to fivethirtyeight Gordon is the 41 best league defender above Draymond and Bam, and that ranking would be higher if you exclude bench and limited minutes players.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/
You realize you are using a defensive metric that has the Celtics best defender and #15 best defender in the entire NBA being .........

Wait for it because this is good .... 

JEFF TEAGUE!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 07:06:29 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Gordon is absolutely an elite defender.  Hes a great fit on this team.  Losing smart doesn't help.  The idea is to keep both elite defenders who can switch every position.  Gordon and smart guarding the pnr would be a thing of beauty.  Not sure what orlando can get for him outside of salary relief, a few picks and maybe a young player.  I don't think Gordon will cost more then Drummond did.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 07:15:18 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Mo Bamba looks like a bust
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 07:18:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 07:56:40 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Pretty much. Has the look of a guy who would fit but he’s all shine and no substance. He can dunk though!

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 08:38:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Count me out.

Smart > Gordon
Williams > Bamba
this.