Author Topic: Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18  (Read 13368 times)

Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:37:11 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
vs    
Boston Celtics (3-1) vs Miami Heat (2-2)
Saturday, July 14, 2018
6:30 PM ET
Las Vegas Summer League Game #5
Tournament Round 2
TV:  ESPN 2
Thomas and Mack Center
Las Vegas, Nevada

Boston Celtics Roster
Kadeem Allen
Justin Bibbs
Jabari Bird
Demitrius Conger
Trey Davis
Daniel Dixon
Jarell Eddie
Pierria Henry
Hassan Martin
Semi Ojeleye
Jarrod Uthoff
Robert Williams III
Guerschon Yabusele

Players to Watch

Jabari Bird is playing for a spot on the Celtics this year after playing as a two way player last season.  He has looked good in Summer League so far, averaging 16.8 points, 3.0 assists and 6.0 rebounds in the three games so far.
Semi Ojeleye is working hard this off season to improve his game, especially on the offensive end.  He is already a lock down defender and should be a rotation player this season.  He is averaging 13.3 points, 2.3 assists and 4.3 rebounds so far in Summer League.
Guerschon Yabusele, in spite of being a fan favorite, is playing to show he belongs on the Celtics.  He is averaging 12.3 points, 2.0 assists and 5.3 rebounds. 

Miami Heat Roster
Bam Adebayo
Dikembe Dixon
Matt Farrell
Derrick Jones, Jr
Jarrod Jones
Daryl Macon
Yante Maten
Landry Nnoko
Ike Nwamu
Duncan Robinson
Justin Tillman
Rashad Vaughn
Derrick Walton, Jr
Tai Webster

Players to Watch

Bam Adebayo was the Heat's first round pick in 2017.  He averaged 6.9 points and 5.5 rebounds in his rookie season. He is averaging 16.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.5 blocks in Vegas Summer League.  He sat out Miami's win on Thursday over the Pelicans for rest so he may or may not play in this game. 
Jarrod Jones went undrafted in 2012 and has been playing in Europe since then.  He leads the Heat's Summer League team with 16.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.7 assists.  He scored 31 points in Thursday's win over the Pelicans to advance to this game. 
Duncan Robinson went undrafted out of Michigan.  He is a forward who is a good 3 point shooter.  He is averaging 12.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists for the Heat in Summer League. 

Game Notes
The 10th seeded Celtics enter the second round of the Vegas Summer League tournament after having won in the first round over the New York Knicks.  The 26th seeded Heat advanced with a win over the New Orleans Pelicans.  In this game, it's win or go home as the loser will be out of tournament play while the winner goes on to compete in the next round.

The Celtics have been without their first round draft pick, Robert Williams III since the first quarter of game 1 when he bumped knees with someone.  In each game since then Williams has said that he hopes to play but the training staff is being cautious and have held him out of each game.  He is officially listed as day to day and his status for this game will likely be decided shortly before game time.

For the Heat, Derrick Jones, Jr will likely miss the remainder of Summer League, including this game, with an ankle injury.  Bam Adebayo sat out Thursday's game for rest and so his status for this game isn't known but since it is win or go home, my guess is that he plays since he isn't injured. 

As I have said, this is a win or go home game in the tournament.  If the Celtics lose, they are finished with Summer League play.  If they win,  they will go on to play on Sunday the 2nd seeded Portland Trailblazers at 8:00 PM ET on Sunday.  The winner of that game will play on Monday at 10:30 PM ET and the Finals will be on Tuesday at 10:00 PM ET. 

Re: Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 10:40:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
frist
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 10:40:43 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to tarheelsxxiii  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SL Celtics!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:14 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
I think this is my second straight second place post in the game thread.  Go Celts and TP to FL for another great game thread!
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 11:52:52 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Yasssss

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
4th. What about Bob?

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 01:11:44 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I totally disagree with the idea that Semi is going to be a rotation player next season. The only way that happens is if there is a serious injury. He’s a great story and has exceeded expectations but if the Celtics are healthy he will be a fringe player and with not be part of the rotation.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 01:17:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I totally disagree with the idea that Semi is going to be a rotation player next season. The only way that happens is if there is a serious injury. He’s a great story and has exceeded expectations but if the Celtics are healthy he will be a fringe player and with not be part of the rotation.
Agree. Especially if Morris and Hayward are healthy for the season, or at least most of it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 03:46:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Semi is an elite multi positional defender. If he can hit open 3’s at a high 30’s percentage clip, Brad will find him some minutes.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:15:50 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
He is not elite. He’s a good defender. He can’t hit threes. There will be few minutes.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Man, the SL Heat really have the market cornered on Derricks, Jr.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 11:23:23 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
frist
[dang].  >:( i will settle for being on the frist page at least. that is something.

well, another game means another game thread by flc, and another victory for the baby celtics.

it will be interesting to watch bird. so far, he is my favorite player in the team. he is followed by semi, who might, maybe, perhaps, conceivable be developing a better offensive game.

fun to watch and no stress over winning or losing...though the celtics will most certainly win.  ;D

thanks flc, tp for the great work. and..

gooooooo000000ooooo00000ooooo00000oooo000 baby celtics!  ;D

p.s. flc, just curious, but are those your shoes at the top of the post?? ?? ??  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Any chance Robert Williams plays tonight? I keep hoping he’ll play and then they say he’s out again

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Agree. Especially if Morris and Hayward are healthy for the season, or at least most of it

Semi is also competing with Tatum for swing minutes; in fact the Irving/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford lineup was the second-most used last season.

He was also on the floor some with Morris (usually with Smart guarding the smaller wing), so you could say that he got some wing minutes as well. And they used him situationally to guard smaller players like Spencer Dinwiddie and Devin Booker.

This is such an interesting question. I have to say that I don't have anywhere near the certainty that you guys have about his role next year. Brad got him rotation minutes all through his rookie season, and that was true even after Morris returned the second time in good health. He had a couple of DNP-CD's when Moose came onboard, but after he got some reps Semi was back in the rotation.

Brad's recent remark ("I'm a big Semi guy") is not a commitment, but he certainly saw enough in him as a rookie to keep finding ways to get him out there. He's got big upside, with great hands, footwork, feel for spacing, work ethic (off the charts), and NBA body.

The coaches have specific goals for him to up his game; what they've said is on defense he needs to get in his man's "airspace" more (like Smart and Morris do), and on offense to understand when he needs to attack closeouts and dribble-drive.

I think that it would bolster his case for minutes if he could improve his shooting from the left corner. He was elite from the right corner last season and just above the break on the right. In Boston's offense he's spotting up on both sides. But let's not overestimate shooting %s here; obviously Marcus Smart's 3% didn't keep Brad from giving him starter's minutes.

Prediction? Games played 70, per game 12 minutes.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Any chance Robert Williams plays tonight? I keep hoping he’ll play and then they say he’s out again

Yeah, it’s been a bummer not getting to see him play. It’s really lessened the excitement of these games for me. Hopefully he plays tonight.