Author Topic: On the positive side, can't wait to see a Brown/Smart starting backcourt.  (Read 6802 times)

Online makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I worry about the lack of quickness, driving ability, creative ball-handing and creative passing ability with those two together in the backcourt.

I see a lot of contested shots in Boston's future. On both ends of the court.

you are kinda right, but we do have great passers in hayward and horford
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I worry about the lack of quickness, driving ability, creative ball-handing and creative passing ability with those two together in the backcourt.

I think Jaylen has plenty of driving ability. And a fair amount of quickness for his size. Smart is a decent passer. I like the size advantagevwe have with a Smart-Jaylen backcourt. I would start baynes and let Hayward run the 2nd unit. More chances for Jaylen/Tatum.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

Horford is great (a great aid to Smart) but there is still too much pressure on Smart. Smart is going to be taking a lot of bad shots off the dribble if he doesn't get more ball-handling help on the perimeter.

Hayward is the answer (if he improves that is). He gives Boston that secondary ball-handler and playmaker on the wing.

But that creates a new problem = the defense and rebounding suffers with Jaylen, Tatum, Hayward and Horford all out there together. Horford is getting older and needs more help on the boards and on interior defense. Hayward and Tatum have enough size to play PF but are lacking in physicality and rebounding. It puts too much pressure on Horford.

There is still a fit a problem with Hayward, Tatum and Jaylen.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482

I think Jaylen has plenty of driving ability. And a fair amount of quickness for his size. Smart is a decent passer. I like the size advantagevwe have with a Smart-Jaylen backcourt. I would start baynes and let Hayward run the 2nd unit. More chances for Jaylen/Tatum.

I kind of agree.  Smart seems to be adaptable enough to run the point with our team.  Smart can be a great passer at times, and if he can limit the bad 3 point shot attempts and maximize the drive and dish attempts I think he would be great.  If starting Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Baynes we would have one of the best def starting 5s in the nba.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

It seems like most are in agreement that Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Baynes with Hayward as 6th man is the best line-up to go by. I'm as well. TP for Nick for the optimism. We need some, at least I do  :(.

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
I think our team will be much, much more enjoyable to watch with a Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford lineup.  More involvement of Horford, better ball movement, better chemistry - a team that will be playing more for each other than for themselves.  Ridding ourselves of Rozier and Morris (I know Morris was solid in the playoffs, but he's a black hole in the regular season) would also probably help.

Can't wallow because we didn't get AD.  Move forward with Brown and Tatum.

You forgetting about Hayward. He is going to be much more effective without Kyrie dominating the ball and his health and confidence will continue to improve.

No argument here.  I'm in the camp that wants Hayward in the starting lineup, assuming that he is healthy.  He's our best playmaking wing by a mile, and his unselfish nature makes the other players on the team better.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think our team will be much, much more enjoyable to watch with a Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford lineup.  More involvement of Horford, better ball movement, better chemistry - a team that will be playing more for each other than for themselves.  Ridding ourselves of Rozier and Morris (I know Morris was solid in the playoffs, but he's a black hole in the regular season) would also probably help.

You forgetting about Hayward. He is going to be much more effective without Kyrie dominating the ball and his health and confidence will continue to improve.

No argument here.  I'm in the camp that wants Hayward in the starting lineup, assuming that he is healthy.  He's our best playmaking wing by a mile, and his unselfish nature makes the other players on the team better.

I mentioned that Hayward should start with Tatum, with Jaylen coming off the bench.

I understand that you want Jaylen to get minutes, he can still do that coming off the bench if we give most, if not all the minutes in the wings amongst the three of them.

Hayward starting gives us a playmaker and he can control the game. He has done that relatively well in Utah, and I see no reason why he couldn't do it with us.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
That would be a nightmare waiting to happen. Smart cannot shoot with his life depending on it.

Shoot from the 3 and clank after clank.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
That would be a nightmare waiting to happen. Smart cannot shoot with his life depending on it.

Luckily that changed this season. He shot the 3 at a 36% clip, which is fine.

Smart's shooting percentages this season were similar to Jeff Teague, Marvin Williams, Tyler Johnson, Damyean Dotson, Gary Harris, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic and Chris Paul.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
Brad should utilize Smart in the post more often, especially against smaller guards. Marcus should take a page from Andre Miller.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I mentioned that Hayward should start with Tatum, with Jaylen coming off the bench.

I understand that you want Jaylen to get minutes, he can still do that coming off the bench if we give most, if not all the minutes in the wings amongst the three of them.

Hayward starting gives us a playmaker and he can control the game. He has done that relatively well in Utah, and I see no reason why he couldn't do it with us.

There is no reason to give hayward the starting spot.

Brown, smart and or tatum need to learn to better facilitate then they should learn when playing together. Besides there is maybe 1 big in the nba better at running and offense than Al horford.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Putting Jaylen, a player who has proven himself a more than capable starter and a top team performer in the playoffs on the bench for hayward is an incredibly shorthanded move.

If you are concerned about smarts playmaking abilty then get a new pg. If you insist on starting the lesser player over brown because he is so darn special of a player 2 years ago before he broke his ankle off, then trade brown for a proper center.

Having 3 wings on the team and a pathetic frontcourt seems illogical. Break up the plethora of wings and get a bigman.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

Luckily that changed this season. He shot the 3 at a 36% clip, which is fine.

Smart's shooting percentages this season were similar to Jeff Teague, Marvin Williams, Tyler Johnson, Damyean Dotson, Gary Harris, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic and Chris Paul.

Smart's improved shot selection and shooting percentages are not going to hold up if he is forced into an offensive role that is too large for him -- which is exactly what will happen if Smart is the PG alongside Tatum and Jaylen.

There just isn't enough passing or dribble penetration from those 3 players. All 3 guys are going to be forced into a higher percentage of contested jump-shots off the dribble. Smart more than the other 2 because he is the best ball-handler out of them.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Horford is great (a great aid to Smart) but there is still too much pressure on Smart. Smart is going to be taking a lot of bad shots off the dribble if he doesn't get more ball-handling help on the perimeter.

Hayward is the answer (if he improves that is). He gives Boston that secondary ball-handler and playmaker on the wing.

But that creates a new problem = the defense and rebounding suffers with Jaylen, Tatum, Hayward and Horford all out there together. Horford is getting older and needs more help on the boards and on interior defense. Hayward and Tatum have enough size to play PF but are lacking in physicality and rebounding. It puts too much pressure on Horford.

There is still a fit a problem with Hayward, Tatum and Jaylen.

Looking back I was hoping we would sign Blake Griffin instead of Hayward.  I thought a Griffin Horford frontcourt would be a very pairing.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Calling it: people are sleeping on Hayward. I think he’ll be terrific coming back next year. I’m more concerned about the logjam at wing. I don’t think any of JB/JT/GH are long enough to play the 4 for long stretches (altho talented enough to close a game).

We need a big that is more reliable than Baynes. Capela has been floated but not worth the price of Horford. So it sounds like our best option is MLE. Who’s available? Is Deandre available? (Idk)
- LilRip