Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 275460 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #570 on: September 13, 2013, 06:37:15 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Tree house brewery in western mass
good ale, ipa but their milk stout is really fine!

« Reply #571 on: September 15, 2013, 01:24:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin!

Mighty fine...and 9.0% ABV

« Reply #572 on: September 15, 2013, 01:46:20 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

(Pumpknihead, too).

I love this time of year for THAT reason, (the season is through November now).

Somebody told me last year I could get it later at the distirbutor, (one is about a mile from me), but I tried last year to no avail.

TP.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #573 on: September 15, 2013, 02:17:16 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
If you visit Toronto, make sure you visit http://www.beerbistro.com/ and http://barvolo.com/. Great beer selection!!!
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #574 on: September 15, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

(Pumpknihead, too).

Somebody told me last year I could get it later at the distirbutor, (one is about a mile from me), but I tried last year to no avail.

TP.

Yeah, I really have taken a liking to the various pumpkin ale's out there.

I haven't tried the Shipyard Pumpkinhead yet, I wonder what the difference between the two is?

My top three favorite pumpkin offerings right now are probably the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin Ale, Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, and the Harpoon Pumpkin UFO.  I'm sure there are other good one's out there as well, though.

Also, I tried the Moat Mt. Oktoberfest Lager last night as well, very impressed.  As I'm sure of few of you know, I'm not a big fan of IPA's or other more hearty, bitter(ish) beers, and usually don't go to far out of my comfort zone (Bud Light, Heineken, Corona), but I have been trying to broaden my choices lately.  Luckily enough, the store right down the street from me has some really wide ranging selections to sample. But as was expected, the majority of those I have tried were just not to my liking.

« Reply #575 on: September 15, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

(Pumpknihead, too).

TP.

I haven't tried the Shipyard Pumpkinhead yet, I wonder what the difference between the two is?

My top three favorite pumpkin offerings right now are probably the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin Ale, Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, and the Harpoon Pumpkin UFO.  I'm sure there are other good one's out there as well, though.

Also, I tried the Moat Mt. Oktoberfest Lager last night as well, very impressed.  As I'm sure of few of you know, I'm not a big fan of IPA's or other more hearty, bitter(ish) beers, and usually don't go to far out of my comfort zone (Bud Light, Heineken, Corona), but I have been trying to broaden my choices lately.  Luckily enough, the store right down the street from me has some really wide ranging selections to sample. But as was expected, the majority of those I have tried were just not to my liking.

For my money, Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is the best pumpkin beer out there with Lakefront Brewery's (Milwaukee, WI) Pumpkin Lager being #2.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #576 on: September 15, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I'll tell you of two pumpkin beers I did NOT like.  Blue Moon and Sam Adam's.  Turrible!

« Reply #577 on: September 15, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_Black_Lager

I can't believe I'm drinking a beer being marketed in Northern Ireland.  I feel betrayed.

« Reply #578 on: September 15, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

(Pumpknihead, too).

TP.

I could be wrong, but I believe it's just the alcohol content, (Smashed is increased), and the slight taste difference would reflect that as well, as it's not much different but the bite.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #579 on: September 30, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #580 on: September 30, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Lefthand Brewing Company won me over 100% with their Nitro Milk Stout. (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/3434), so I tried their Sawtooth Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/1543) and The Stranger (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/66154)

Sawtooth is a ESB style ale that was pretty tasty, very drinkable, but ultimately forgettable.

The Stranger..great name, mediocre beer.

Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout is far and away the best american session stout I've ever tried from a bottle (Shipyard's Blue Fin Stout at Fed Jack's in Kennebunkport, ME is my overall favorite American stout experience).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #581 on: September 30, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Has anybody else tried anything brewed by Evil Twin?  They showed up pretty abruptly in my beer store, and we've tried about 4 kinds and loved all of them.  Very crisp and clear-bodied, even at high ABV levels, and all really tasty.

« Reply #582 on: September 30, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Has anybody else tried anything brewed by Evil Twin?  They showed up pretty abruptly in my beer store, and we've tried about 4 kinds and loved all of them.  Very crisp and clear-bodied, even at high ABV levels, and all really tasty.

Which ones did you try? They've been knocking around here for about a year and I've avoided them ever since I had the infamous 'Three Heads Brewing' invasion of the cheap bombers of '10. Maybe its time to give them a try.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #583 on: September 30, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Which ones did you try? They've been knocking around here for about a year and I've avoided them ever since I had the infamous 'Three Heads Brewing' invasion of the cheap bombers of '10. Maybe its time to give them a try.

Imperial Biscotti Break - nice rich, flavorful double stout.
Falco IPA - My wife loves this, I like it but not quite as much.  Very clear and crisp.
Ryan and the Beaster Bunny - really solid saison, good but not great.
Molotov Cocktail - A pretty excellent double IPA, but dangerous as it doesn't taste like the 11.5% it is.  Very smooth for a high ABV IPA.

They have about 4 more varieties at our store, we'll probably work our way through them.

« Reply #584 on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Visited the Blue Hills Brewery recently.

Enjoyed the Quartermile Ipa, Black Hops and Pumpkin lager the most. Pumpkin was surprisingly good.

Place is pretty sweet, cheap bombers and growlers and a relaxed tasting atmosphere