Author Topic: NBA league pass question  (Read 3033 times)

NBA league pass question
« on: August 11, 2009, 03:11:24 AM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 69
When can we order NBA league pass?

Also It seems the prices change from year to year, what was the price last year? And do they always offer a early bird special? (what price should i be looking at this year)

Re: NBA league pass question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:21:59 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
You can sign up to receive news about when
League Pass will be available. Here you go:

http://www.nba.com/broadband/league_pass.jsp

I can't remember how much it cost last year
but it wasn't that expensive. I'm sure that
someone else will be able to help.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
Word, thanks!! TP

anybody with info on pricing of the League Pass last year?

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
You're welcome.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
You're welcome.

Typically the TV league pass is around $179 for a season, and you save $20 off of that for early bird.  That's what it was when I bought it two seasons ago (championship season).

From what I "hear" if you buy the nba league pass for your computer (the internet streaming version) it is $99 and can be used by more than one person at a time without a problem.  In theory you could connect your computer to your TV and stream to your TV with pretty good quality. 

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:05:11 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
You're welcome.

Typically the TV league pass is around $179 for a season, and you save $20 off of that for early bird.  That's what it was when I bought it two seasons ago (championship season).

From what I "hear" if you buy the nba league pass for your computer (the internet streaming version) it is $99 and can be used by more than one person at a time without a problem.  In theory you could connect your computer to your TV and stream to your TV with pretty good quality. 

I did it this year with summer league
it wasnt a pleasent experience
of course my internet stinks
and tv signal was poor as it get
but yes you can do it starting with a standard projection cable without problems.

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:21:35 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 686
  • MASTER OF PANIC
You're welcome.

i bought it for my computer last season and it was awesome...had zero problems with it...it can be used by more that one person...quality was fine....will do it again because all i get here will be the cavs >:(

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
You're welcome.

I did it this year with summer league
it wasnt a pleasent experience
of course my internet stinks
and tv signal was poor as it get
but yes you can do it starting with a standard projection cable without problems.

I have a great internet connection and a 42" plasma, which I connected to.  I'd say the quality was as good as regular TV's.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Word, thanks!! TP

I use the NBA's broadband package. I've been very happy with it for the most part.

My only complaint is that the NBA seems to consider NE as part of Colorado for the purposes of local blackouts. We definitely don't get Nuggets games here!

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
Word, thanks!! TP

Mine was in the $190 range with DishNetwork.

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I have a choice between RCN and Time Warner and I think I'm picking RCN. RCN might or might not have LP, but worst case scenario will be streaming from my comp to my tv. Can't imagine that being much worse than standard definition.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I've been streaming the games online for 2 years now and league pass for 4 years.

2 years ago the quality was horrible. It almost wasn't worth watching some of the games.

Last year they really stepped it up. They completely re-tooled the league pass video player. The quality was better, and I had much less issues. The one thing that still would bother me though was that the audio and video would consistenly get out of sink and I'd have to reload the player to fix this problem.

I also had issues viewing archived games, they would take an absurdly long time to load, and then sometimes wouldn't even start at the beginning of the game. The broadcast would jump in randomly like say half way through the second quarter.

Overall, having done both, I still consistently enjoy watching the games through my cable provider. It's the ol' tried and true method. But, with advancements in new media occurring all the time it wouldn't surprise me to see the streaming video equal cable this season. That's the wave of the future anyway, sooner then later (say next 10yrs) none of us will even be talking about our "cable providers", and our kids will have to ask us what that even means.

I think you definitely want to be streaming on an HD flat screen (plasma or lcd)to get the SD cable feel. I was streaming on a 27in SD flat screen and even last year the image quality wasn't nearly as good as SD cable. It obviously depends on your computers capabilities and matching the settings properly on between the comp and tv, as well, but I'm pretty confident I had everything set up as well as possible. 

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Word, thanks!! TP

Comcast offered it for $179 as an early bird special (order before the second week) and $199 after. There's also a half season price and a race to the playoff prices, but they're really not worth it.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
Thanks guys!

Does anyone know when roughly this early bird will be available?