Author Topic: Powe signs with the Cavaliers (merged)  (Read 18630 times)

Re: So Leon is gonna be a Cav...
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Well Powe is probably anxious to get back as he doesn't want to be forgotten. He probably figures that he'll get written off if someone doesn't pick him up this season.

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Believe me - Leon will punish us on the playoffs.

Let's just say thank you to Danny for not waiting on Leon and getting Shelden Williams instead

He could have waited since he had Sheed and Baby on the bench.

PS: And don't give me the "we don't have time to wait for you" excuse... This move will hunt us down. Believe me.

Make sure you lock your doors, lock your windows, check the closet, check under the bed. You never know when the boogeyman is going to come and collect.

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 02:03:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Different question:

Is it really a good idea for the long term of Powe's career to rush back this season?
If he waits, there is the chance he never really recovers and never gets another contract. At least now, teams don't have the luxury to ask him to prove he can play.

Considering he has had these injuries before, I'm guessing he knows what he is doing. Working hard at rehab is not necessarily rushing back.

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
It would shock me if Leon came back and hasn't lost a step. i think his surgury in college really robbed him of his leaping ability and killed is game, becuase he COULD have been much better. Just when he's getting his groove this is happening? i don't know how much one man can take.

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Believe me - Leon will punish us on the playoffs.

Let's just say thank you to Danny for not waiting on Leon and getting Shelden Williams instead

He could have waited since he had Sheed and Baby on the bench.

PS: And don't give me the "we don't have time to wait for you" excuse... This move will hunt us down. Believe me.

LOL. Leon isn't punishing anyone.  You severely overrate Leon. ::)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 03:25:40 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
the question is: did he or did he not have microfracture surgery? if he did, i understand why the celts passed. if he didn't, i think this is a no-brainer for the cavs and am pretty shocked we didn't even give him the qualifying offer.

In his nba.com article, David Aldridge said that he did have the microfracture surgery.

yes, but many others have described it as reconstructuve only. i'd like clarity...

Here's what the press release the Celtics issued at the time said:

The Boston Celtics announced today that forward Leon Powe underwent successful ACL revision reconstruction with microfracture and cartilage repair at New England Baptist Hospital this morning. The surgery was preformed by Celtics Team Physician, Dr. Brian McKeon and was assisted by Dr. Paul Weitzel and Dr. John Richmond. No timetable has been set for Powe’s return.

So yes, he got microfracture.

Has anyone come back in the NBA in under a year after that?

(Fred Robbins is trying to do it in football right now)

I'm almost positive that no player has ever had an ACL tear at the same time as microfracture surgery.  This is a catastrophic injury of unprecedented severity.  There's no way he can come back from it inside of a year.  Wolverine's healing factor wouldn't even be able to get him back on the court this year (or this decade, for that matter).

Here's a list of the players who have had the microfracture surgery in the NBA.  Not one of them came back as the same player.  The 2 with the best results are Jason Kidd and Amare Stoudamire.  I think we can all agree that Kidd and Amare are nowhere near as effective as they were before the surgery.  But none of these guys tore their ACL 3 freakin' times and THEN had micro surgery!!

http://www.sonicscentral.com/microfracture.html

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:33:51 PM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
the question is: did he or did he not have microfracture surgery? if he did, i understand why the celts passed. if he didn't, i think this is a no-brainer for the cavs and am pretty shocked we didn't even give him the qualifying offer.

In his nba.com article, David Aldridge said that he did have the microfracture surgery.

yes, but many others have described it as reconstructuve only. i'd like clarity...

Here's what the press release the Celtics issued at the time said:

The Boston Celtics announced today that forward Leon Powe underwent successful ACL revision reconstruction with microfracture and cartilage repair at New England Baptist Hospital this morning. The surgery was preformed by Celtics Team Physician, Dr. Brian McKeon and was assisted by Dr. Paul Weitzel and Dr. John Richmond. No timetable has been set for Powe’s return.

So yes, he got microfracture.

Has anyone come back in the NBA in under a year after that?

(Fred Robbins is trying to do it in football right now)

I'm almost positive that no player has ever had an ACL tear at the same time as microfracture surgery.  This is a catastrophic injury of unprecedented severity.  There's no way he can come back from it inside of a year.  Wolverine's healing factor wouldn't even be able to get him back on the court this year (or this decade, for that matter).

But think about how many rebound Barkley could have grabbed if he had those claws.

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I love Leon, but let's be honest.  With the Rasheed signing, it was either him or Big Baby.  There wouldn't be minutes for both of them.  Hell, there'll hardly be minutes for one of them.

Powe is almost certainly better than Shelden Williams, but we didn't need Leon to have a great frontcourt.  Also, we couldn't afford to use up a roster spot on a guy in rehab, and we don't need any more guys with histories of big injuries on our team.

The Cavs did get a steal here, but if we lose to the Cavs, it's not going to be because of Leon. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Powe is almost certainly better than Shelden Williams, but we didn't need Leon to have a great frontcourt.  Also, we couldn't afford to use up a roster spot on a guy in rehab, and we don't need any more guys with histories of big injuries on our team.

First, let me say that I love Leon, and wanted him back.

That being said, a healthy Powe is only really a better scorer than Shelden.  Williams is an equal rebounder, and a better defender.  Coming back from a major injury, it's possible that Williams has closed the gap even further, or even surpassed Powe.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I love Leon, but let's be honest.  With the Rasheed signing, it was either him or Big Baby.  There wouldn't be minutes for both of them.  Hell, there'll hardly be minutes for one of them.

The Cavs did get a steal here, but if we lose to the Cavs, it's not going to be because of Leon. 

TP. Sheed is greater than Powe. A healthy Davis is greater than an unknown Powe. The C's depth at the 4 is stacked!

Leon was an excellent contributor to #17 and i wish him well on his future team (except when he plays the Celtics).

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 03:44:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Powe is almost certainly better than Shelden Williams, but we didn't need Leon to have a great frontcourt.   

I don't think we can even say this.  We can say a healthy Powe is better than Shelden Williams, but based on what we have seen from other players with similar injuries, we simply cannot count on him ever regaining his explosiveness back (which is really what sets him apart from Williams and other smaller big men), and especially not this season.  While I hope he does come back all the way, the chances of him coming back and being even an average NBA player this season are pretty slim.  

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 07:53:51 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
no - this won't come back to haunt the celtics at all ................  unless you read this little gem from espn >>>>>

"Los Angeles, Portland, Dallas, Orlando and Miami also expressed interest in Powe, whose preference was to remain in the Eastern Conference and to sign with the team most capable of giving him his best shot to exact some revenge on the Celtics after they effectively gave up on him by declining to tender him a qualifying offer."
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 08:07:24 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
What is the revenge they speak of? Powe is an OK player, but not that great. He is very limited on both ends. Powe couldn't even bypass the then unproven Glen on our depth chart. He is still a great guy, but nothing about his game is scary.

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I tend to agree that if we lose to the Cavs, it probably won't be because of Leon Powe. But he's a great guy and a very good player. Who knows, motivated, maybe he is a key to them stealing a game. Whatever happens, he represented the Celtics and himself well during his time in Boston and I wish him nothing but the best.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
no - this won't come back to haunt the celtics at all ................  unless you read this little gem from espn >>>>>

"Los Angeles, Portland, Dallas, Orlando and Miami also expressed interest in Powe, whose preference was to remain in the Eastern Conference and to sign with the team most capable of giving him his best shot to exact some revenge on the Celtics after they effectively gave up on him by declining to tender him a qualifying offer."

Too bad that he has simply bought front row seats to get his ass kicked by the Celtics.