Author Topic: Powe signs with the Cavaliers (merged)  (Read 18631 times)

Re: So Leon is gonna be a Cav...
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is definitely not a done deal.  I would really be surprised if they take a look at his knee and think this is a good investment at this point in time. 

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's unfortunate to a degree, but not nearly as big of a concern for me now that BBD is back in the fold.  Now and in the future, there's really only room for one undersized backup PF on our roster. 

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 10:53:16 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Whats the most a player can be paid in a non guaranteed contract?
I would have offered him a pay raise to 2.5 mil over 3 years, with the first year non guaranteed and the next year a team option. That even possible?
I don't think so. You're limited on the size of raises by a percentage of the previous year's salary typically.

It depends upon how it's structured, of course; raises for your own Bird rights free agent are limited to 10.5%.  If the team gave him a non-guaranteed $2 million in the first year, they could give him a non-guaranteed $2,210,000 in year two, and a non-guaranteed / team option $2,442,050 in year three.

It wouldn't make much sense to do it that way, of course.  Also, all non-guaranteed deals become fully guaranteed on January 10 of a given season, which is before Leon will be ready to play.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »

Offline wild

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Geez. Now I want Leon to fail the test(if cavs is serious). Selfish me.
Get that 18th banner ready!

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Listen, I love Leon too, but if the Cavs want to take a gamble on him (which I don't think they will) then fine.  We are the favorites to win the East in my opinion and when you are in that position, you don't gamble.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:34 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I'm surprised the Cavs would take the chance given their fragile bigs.

The C's just couldn't take the chance on Leon this year. The opportunity cost of not signing a healthy player like Landlord is just far too high. If Landlord can give us 10-12 minutes a game, that's almost 1000 minutes over the regular season. If KG plays plays 35 min a night, he'll play a little less than 3000. so signing a healthy Landlord gives the team the opportunity to lighten KG's load by more than a 3rd. That's hugely significant. We wouldn't get that with Powe for at least half a season, probably none of that. We needed to go in another direction and rest some guys..

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
the question is: did he or did he not have microfracture surgery? if he did, i understand why the celts passed. if he didn't, i think this is a no-brainer for the cavs and am pretty shocked we didn't even give him the qualifying offer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 12:16:38 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
the question is: did he or did he not have microfracture surgery? if he did, i understand why the celts passed. if he didn't, i think this is a no-brainer for the cavs and am pretty shocked we didn't even give him the qualifying offer.

In his nba.com article, David Aldridge said that he did have the microfracture surgery.

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
The cavs aren't too concerned with his knee.  Leon would only make the minimum salary so if he doesn't pan out there isn't a huge loss to the team.  This signing gives Hickson half a season to prove himself.  If he doesn't he will definitely lose all of his paying time to Powe.  Look for Powe to start when he comes back as well.  AV is much better off the bench.  Specifically for Boston, AV gives Rasheed fits

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

In his nba.com article, David Aldridge said that he did have the microfracture surgery.

yes, but many others have described it as reconstructuve only. i'd like clarity...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

yes, but many others have described it as reconstructuve only. i'd like clarity...

Here's what the press release the Celtics issued at the time said:

The Boston Celtics announced today that forward Leon Powe underwent successful ACL revision reconstruction with microfracture and cartilage repair at New England Baptist Hospital this morning. The surgery was preformed by Celtics Team Physician, Dr. Brian McKeon and was assisted by Dr. Paul Weitzel and Dr. John Richmond. No timetable has been set for Powe’s return.

So yes, he got microfracture.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The Boston Celtics announced today that forward Leon Powe underwent successful ACL revision reconstruction with microfracture and cartilage repair at New England Baptist Hospital this morning. The surgery was preformed by Celtics Team Physician, Dr. Brian McKeon and was assisted by Dr. Paul Weitzel and Dr. John Richmond. No timetable has been set for Powe’s return.

Has anyone come back in the NBA in under a year after that?

(Fred Robbins is trying to do it in football right now)

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 01:17:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Has anyone come back in the NBA in under a year after that?

(Fred Robbins is trying to do it in football right now)

Thanks, Gentlemen. In which case, i feel more comfortable with this. I do wish Leon well, but the idea of him dunking on Baby next spring scares me a little.

As for Fred Robbins, don't you find it a little hard to believe? "I'm a fast healer" on mircrofractured knee supporting a 320 pound, not particularly fit body -- already? I wonder why they're rushing him back. Maybe Evans and Alford are playing so well they need to see what he still has?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Well this is also Powe's 3rd ACL reconstruction in that knee as well. I love Powe but good lord his knee is basically duct-taped together at this point. I can't imagine even trying to make it back after that. Players have come back from one ACL reconstruction and microfracture but this is Leon's third time. I can't see him coming back anywhere close to what he was..

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Different question:

Is it really a good idea for the long term of Powe's career to rush back this season?