Author Topic: Powe signs with the Cavaliers (merged)  (Read 18634 times)

Powe signs with the Cavaliers (merged)
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:13:11 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Via Yahoo!;
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgAsOShD8fRsaw0C_Iffnu28vLYF?slug=ys-powecavs081009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Leon Powe will sign a two-year contract for the league minimum with the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday on the condition of doctors being satisfied with the progress of his injured left knee, a league source said.

Powe tore his anterior cruciate ligament and cartilage in his knee during Game 2 of the Boston Celtics’ first-round series against the Chicago Bulls.

Powe hopes to be back on the court by this season’s All-Star break, and the Cavaliers are willing to take a low-risk gamble on him pending the results of his physical.

The Cavaliers will hold the option for the contract’s second season.

Sorta bittersweet. I'm glad to see he got a contract but it's gonna be tough watching him in a cavs uni. Best of luck Leon!

Re: So Leon is gonna be a Cav...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:41:04 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
[dang]... good luck to Leon, glad that he got a contract but I wish it wasn't with the Cavs. I hate this team and I don't want to see Leon play against us in the playoffs.

Business is business. :'(

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:21 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i wish him luck but also understand why boston passed...4 major knee injuries...i highly doubt he sees the court this season

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:07:07 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
The thought of rooting against Leon makes me wanna throw up.  Also, how good will that team be at taking charges with Leon and AV?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:54 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Good for him, I taught that he would take a year of, and get fully recovered witch would be a smart thing to do.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:35:45 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Leon vs. Big Baby. A matchup I always wanted to see!

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:42:37 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Believe me - Leon will punish us on the playoffs.

Let's just say thank you to Danny for not waiting on Leon and getting Shelden Williams instead

He could have waited since he had Sheed and Baby on the bench.

PS: And don't give me the "we don't have time to wait for you" excuse... This move will hunt us down. Believe me.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:25 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
leon won't punish boston....there is no certainty that he will even be back

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Update from Spears:

The deal for Powe would be for the minimum salary, with Cavs holding option for 2010-'11. Powe is expected to return by All-Star break.

That's exactly the type of deal I wanted the Celts to offer him.  It's a steal for the Cavs, I think; there's very little risk.  They're paying $825k, and if it works out, they have a monster under their control for one and a half seasons.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he failed the test that the doctors administer.

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 09:10:17 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I wish Leon well with his recovery.  He was a fun guy to watch for the C's, but I can see the reasoning behind not resigning him.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 09:13:41 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he failed the test that the doctors administer.

At least that's what you're hoping right? Lol. Leon is good but he's not scary good. He's efficient and yes I would have resigned him, but those knees are nothing to play with and he's had too many issues with them. I would be wincing every time he hit the floor, sorta like I do now every time Tony goes up and lands. Leon's knees are fragile and I would rather have someone that can bang without the extra worries.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

At least that's what you're hoping right? Lol. Leon is good but he's not scary good. He's efficient and yes I would have resigned him, but those knees are nothing to play with and he's had too many issues with them. I would be wincing every time he hit the floor, sorta like I do now every time Tony goes up and lands. Leon's knees are fragile and I would rather have someone that can bang without the extra worries.

Nah, he is a great guy and I'd love to see him get a contract for rehabbing. It would be great if he passed the test.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 09:44:15 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Whats the most a player can be paid in a non guaranteed contract?
I would have offered him a pay raise to 2.5 mil over 3 years, with the first year non guaranteed and the next year a team option. That even possible?
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Whats the most a player can be paid in a non guaranteed contract?
I would have offered him a pay raise to 2.5 mil over 3 years, with the first year non guaranteed and the next year a team option. That even possible?
I don't think so. You're limited on the size of raises by a percentage of the previous year's salary typically.

I would have liked having Leon on the sort of deal the Cavs got, but I can see why Danny would rather have Shelden who he knows will be able to contribute this year.