Author Topic: interesting lakers topic over at realgm  (Read 7807 times)

Re: interesting lakers topic over at realgm
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
"I think I'd take Paul (he turned David West into an All-Star, imagine what he'd do for Pau and Kobe), but probably not Dwight (relies too much on freak strength and athleticism; Bynum is and will be by far the more polished player)"

Bynum is more polished than Dwight Howard?

Sounds like the Lakers have found their very own Gerald Green for their fan base (only in the way fans overvalue him...I understand that Bynum has shown way more than Gerald and is considerably more valuable).
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 10:02:19 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
lets not be naive in thinking that trade proposals, evaluating talent, and comparing players on this blog are not equally biased and obsurd at times.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Lakers fans want something interesting?  Here's something interesting, I think the Lakers won't improve with Bynum and may actually get worse? 

Sound crazy?  Not really.  It actually makes quite a bit of sense when you think about the way the Lakers are constructed and how their high powered offense actually functions. 

The problem with their current construction is their frontline.  On paper, it sounds nice, three 6-10+ guys who all have decent hoops skills.  But think about the way they play.  Gasol and Bynum both get all their points down low and Odom doesn't possess a good 3 pt. shot and gets most of his points 15 feet and closer to the basket.  That's really going to make it very easy for good defensive teams to pack the lane on these guys.  Now extend that to Kobe.  If his frontline can't spread the floor, how is he ever going to drive to the basket?  Look for Kobe to have issues getting to the lane with such a lineup on the floor, as he not only runs into the opposition, but also his own players. 

As much as I think Radmanovic is a soft wimp, I think we're really going to see the Lakers miss him playing with the starters strictly because of his ability to spread the floor. 
Yes I agree, there's lots of big questions and uncertainties regarding the Lakers this coming season.

It's a huge change from Gasol-Odom to Bynum-Gasol-Odom with so many effects. Their offense will completely change but change isn't always bad. The pieces could fit nicely, or they could struggle ... lots of interesting theories with good cases on both sides of the argument. Either way there's lot of questions they have to answer.

I think they'll be be fine in the regular season. That even if there are problems they'll be so good that they'll be able to work around them and put up a huge regular season .... But in the playoffs with a quality opponent honed in on their weaknesses, then it become a huge problem. I feel like we'll almost have to wait for the playoffs to find out for sure, we should get to see some warning signals in the regular season though.

I think LA made a huge mistake not acquiring a defensive minded small forward. That hole is huge, and very important because of the East (Boston, Cleveland, Orlando) in a possible Finals matchup, it takes away a lot of their positives. Unnecessary complication, Kupchack should have fixed that. It'll be very interesting to see how Odom does defensively at small forward, and also if Ariza can take steps forwards. Big risks taken by the Lakers in this regard.

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 10:10:23 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Given the dearth of All-star level centers in the NBA, it's not a stretch that Bynum could be that level in a year or two.

He could also lack heart, not apply himself on defense, battle weight issues, or be injury prone. All of which would keep him for realizing the Faker fan's expectations.

Only time will tell with Bynum.

He's basically at the point that Big Al was last off season. 1/2 season of All-star ball. Danny flipped that1/2 season for KG and it worked out for both teams.

The Fakers could flip Bynum for something that would put them over the top or just keep him and hope he does. The real issue on flipping Bynum is that there is no KG out there to get.

However, if Bynum comes up poor this season then his trade value may never be as high.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 10:59:01 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
lets not be naive in thinking that trade proposals, evaluating talent, and comparing players on this blog are not equally biased and obsurd at times.

hahaha i agree! i remember a short year and a half ago when many of us would never even consider the idea of trading big al for dwight howard straight up. granted, they are two totally different styles of play for their position, but i think i would take dwight howard....lol

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
His floor is a top 5 center and perennial All-Star for the next 12 years. He's already the second most important player on what will be a 60+ win basketball team next season.
Come on, Who.  Enough hyperbole. 
I think there's three centers in the NBA who are clearly beyond everyone else - Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Yao Ming.

Here's the list of several other centers - Chandler, Dalembert, Shaq, Okafor, Camby, Kaman, Bogut, Curry, Brad Miller, Okur, Haywood, Perkins.

I thought Andrew Bynum was better than everyone on that second list last season. I think he's a Top 5 Center in the league right now. He's already that good and he's going to get better. He's only young and he's going to be very good for a long time.

Lets not go over board, Bynum needs to prove it for a whole season first.  I would say that Al Jefferson is better than Bynum right now.

And if you are going to go off potential, Oden could potentially build his carreer abusing AB out West for years to come.  AB still doesn't know how to create for himself - his game is basicly a taller version of Leon Powe's right now.  He doesn't nearly have the footwork of Big Al, or Duncan, or even somebody like Elton Brand has.  He doesn't have the outside range either, and won't command a double team to stop him from scoring.

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I think Bynum has too much potential to easily trade away, but at the same time it is still potential more than experience and any sort of track record.  If I was the Lakers, there are maybe 10-12 players I'd trade Bynum for.

LeBron
Howard
Paul
Williams
Melo (probably not though, but would at least think about it)
Amare (maybe)
Yao (maybe)
Duncan (maybe)

So maybe not even 10 I guess... 

I'd also consider packages centered around SFs like Gay, Deng, Granger if they were bolstered by a 1st round pick and/or solid role player.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Bynum so far is nothing more than a tease.  He seems like he has the potential to be special but right now he is what he is, a young, unproven player with injury history.  I was wondering if the Celtics would be better this season if they traded Perk for Bynum straight up.  I don't think they would be better.  A few years from now?...who knows.  Bynum may be dominating the league or sitting on the bench with ice on his knees but Perk has injury questions too.

If I were the Lakers, I would be thinking win now just like the Celtics but they aren't going to trade Bynum even though he probably is not exactly what they need to make a couple of runs at titles in the next 2 years or so.

Actually, the best scenario in terms of hating the Lakers would be for Bynum to have a great year this year, sign with the Lakers for big $$$ and then get fat and lazy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:10:05 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
Not to defend my NBA equivalent of the Yanks, but, they were just speaking hypothetically. I don't think they seriously meant to insinuate that they could possibly trade Bynum for any of those players, especially not Lebron (or KG for that matter).

But then again, that wouldn't be the craziest thing I've heard a Laker fan say. So who knows, maybe they were serious, but I doubt it.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!