Poll

So who do you think the Celtics will be playing in the 2009 NBA finals? Hypothetically speaking!

Houston Rockets
9 (26.5%)
San Antonio Spurs
2 (5.9%)
New Orleans Hornets
11 (32.4%)
Portland Trailblazers
3 (8.8%)
L.A.  Fakers
7 (20.6%)
Utah Jazz
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: September 03, 2008, 03:33:26 PM

Author Topic: Western Conference Champions!  (Read 7868 times)

Re: Western Conference Champions!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
It's gotta be the Hornets. They have the best PG in the game, and Allstar Power Forward, a big time defensive stopper at center. A knock down shooter at SF and a solid contributor at SG. Also, they traded in an undersized, trigger happy combo guard, for a battle tested, defensive oriented ( but still a knock down shooter) SF who can guard the positions above and below his. If they resign Bonzi, this team is too deep not to win the West.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 04:47:29 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I feel the spurs are too old, they got crushed by LA last year in the playoffs.

With an injured Ginobili. They missed his scoring. Health is going to be Spurs' problem, they're not as deep as other teams.

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
There's only two teams in the West that I think can stop/contain/limit Kobe Bryant and that's Houston and San Antonio.

The Spurs did a good job on Kobe last season and slowed down the Lakers offense considerably ... But I don't think they have the supporting cast to make that good defense count. Bynum's return will also cause San Antonio's interior a lot more problems.

Shane Battier does a terrific job on Kobe Bryant and Houston overall do an excellent job. Having the ability to interchange Artest+Battier should help.

Portland are interesting, not so much for stopping Bryant, but because Roy cancels out a good deal of Kobe's good work and also plays good defense on Kobe. Not so much stopping Kobe, but matching a healthy chunk of his contributions.

Portland should be a vastly improved defensive squad next season with Oden on the team, and hopefully less small ball. That too will help them contain Kobe and his big men. Plus the Lakers have an odd recent track record in Portland, they've been struggling there for a few years now, and I don't think they've won a game there since Rudy T was coaching LA right after Shaq left. Odd.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 04:53:45 PM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
I think it's going to be the Lakers as well.  They still have Kobe, Gasol, Odom. and are adding Bynum.  I am one of the biggest Bynum haters out there, bu they basically steamrolled the West and only got better.

I think the Rockets will be an interesting story, but until that team stays healthy I'm not going to be convinced.  I do like their defensive potential with Battier and Artest on the perimeter and Yao guarding the bucket.

I kind of seeing the Hornets falling off a bit.  Sure Chris Paul is amazing, but I think they need a traditional 2 guard.  Posey was a great add for them, but with Peja starting and then Julian Wright coming off their bench Im not sure he is exactly what they needed.

San Antonio.  Tim Duncan continues to amaze me as a player  but without getting younger and another low post scorer they ain't coming out of the West.

Dallas.  Done

Phoenix.  Turn up the AC in the desert 'cause the window is closed

Utah.  A team that I really like, and probably gave the Celtics their worst beating all of last year.  Not sure they are athletic enough to compete for a championship.  They will be very good just not championship good.

Portland.  This is a team that will win multiple titles IMO.  I think recent examples such as the Celtics and Bulls show that growing and more importantly winning together with all young guys is a hard task.  However a healthy Greg Oden makes this team scary good for 10 years.  A core of Oden, Aldredge, Roy and then real good complementary players like Fernandez, Bayless (great player next to Roy), Outlaw, Pryzbilla.  They may challenge the youth together theory.  Do I think they will win the West this year no. DO i think they could compete for the 5/6 seed in the West very much likely.

In the end this whole topic is really asking who is gonna be the second best team in the league.  we all know where the champ is coming from

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'm surprised people are so high on the Rockets.  Every year they are supposed to become the favorites, and every year they finish middle of the pack.  I don't expect this to be much different because they acquired crazy man Artest.  TMac isn't getting any younger or more durable.  Yao isn't getting any more durable.  Artest isn't getting any saner.
A [dang]ed if you, [dang]ed if you don't situation.

The Rockets are too unreliable to really pump them up, but they have too much talent to write them off.

Houston are one of the few squads that are capable of beating the Lakers in a 7 game series. I'm looking across the West and they matchup well with just about everyone.

There's only one squad that I think causes them huge problems and that's Utah. No other team can take Houston out of their game the way Utah can. Okur causes Yao Ming great difficulties, and Boozer can take Yao on the switch. No other team in the West can abuse Yao's defense like Utah can. Nobody has the perimeter big to pull him out of the paint, out of his comfort zone, and out of the area where he can effect games defensively.

One of the best defensive squads in the league. Best rebounding team in the league. Three very good weapons offensively. Good supporting cast. Good depth. Very good coach. Lot to like.

Lot of questions that need answering on the court, but they're starting from an excellent position.

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
East is going to be tough this year, not so sure the celtics make it back.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm surprised people are so high on the Rockets.  Every year they are supposed to become the favorites, and every year they finish middle of the pack.  I don't expect this to be much different because they acquired crazy man Artest.  TMac isn't getting any younger or more durable.  Yao isn't getting any more durable.  Artest isn't getting any saner.

I think this will be a two horse race between LA and New Orleans.  I like LA to win the regular season crown, but New Orleans to go to the finals.
You expressed my feelings about the Rockets much better than I did earlier in this thread. I can't find a way to take the Rockets seriously. They'll be a strong regular season team. But they'll fizzle in the playoffs. There's no way that somebody in the West doesn't find a way to beat that team 4 times in 7 games.

And I agree with you on LA and NO as well. LA will have all the pressure and I just don't think they'll be able to live up to it.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
East is going to be tough this year, not so sure the celtics make it back.
The East will be more competitive to be sure, but it won't be tough like the West is tough. Philly will be much improved and the Knicks won't suck, but other than that, where has the East gotten so much better? With the exception of being scared of LeBron James (not so much the Cavs), I really don't expect the Celts to have much trouble getting back to the Finals (assuming they're healthy come playoff time).

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Chris Paul will expose any LA point guard but I want to see If Kobe can dominate James Posey!

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I like the Hornets team alot and I think I would have to go with them as now.

LA has the manpower but the questions I have for them are 1) How good will Bynum be coming off his first major injury?  With big injuries it can take players at least a year to return to their old form.   2) With Fisher at age 34 still be the ever old reliable starting PG or will there be some slippage?  Would Famer at age 21 be ready to replace Fisher if he slows down in the starting rotation and take on the elite PGs in the west?  3) With Bynum coming back will Odom be reduced to 6th man or starting SF and how would he do in either role.   

I don't think the big 3 of SA is that old but their supporting cast certainly is and I think that supporting cast will do them in. 

Utah is a well balanced team but I really think AK needs to play better in order for them to take the next step and I'm not sure if he has it in him now as he seems to have regressed the past couple years.

Portland is very talented but their core group is age 24 and younger.   I think they will need at least another year together to make a serious run.

I think Phoenix, Dallas, and Denver are on the downslope.

With Houston I'm not crazy about Alston being a starting PG on a championship caliber team, they have durability issues as others have mentioned, but I won't count them out as Tracy and Yao can carry a team in stretches.  Having Artest should mean cutting down Tracy's minutes during the regular season to save his legs more for the postseason.

With NO adding Posey really helps solidifies the wing position.  They have a near MVP in Paul, an all star in West, a former all star Peja who is still very effective, and a defensive force in Chandler.  I think they have a good as chance as any team out there right now. 

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Defense reigns suppreme in this league and the Lakers keep getting softer.

Houston or Portland or San Antonio or New Orleins are all capable of beating them in 7.  Not very likely that LA gets such an easy path to the Finals again.  Last year going up against Enver, Utah, and an injury plagued SA team was about as easy as it gets.  They never once faced a defensive team like what Hou, Port, (a healthy) SA or NO can pose next year.

I am picking San Antonio to get back to the Finals next year.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:17 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
Defense reigns suppreme in this league and the Lakers keep getting softer.

Houston or Portland or San Antonio or New Orleins are all capable of beating them in 7.  Not very likely that LA gets such an easy path to the Finals again.  Last year going up against Enver, Utah, and an injury plagued SA team was about as easy as it gets.  They never once faced a defensive team like what Hou, Port, (a healthy) SA or NO can pose next year.

I am picking San Antonio to get back to the Finals next year.

I agree. The Spurs have great defense and they'll probably make it back. But, if they dont, my money is on the Hornets. My guess is, it'll probably be those two in the WCF this season.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
For some reason I think the Hornets will take a small step back this year.  I think they surprised a lot of teams last year, but they still are a little thin on top level talent other than Paul IMO.

I think it will come down to San Antonio and the Lakers.  I think the Lakers will be very good again next year, with the potential to be pretty dominant if everything falls into place, and I think the Spurs have at least one more run left in the tank.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I went with Portland.
You know, just for the heck of it  :)

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Denver Nuggets are stacked, they could be scary good. ;)
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!