Author Topic: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?  (Read 22366 times)

Re: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2019, 10:45:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Bol Bol.

With three 1st round picks in a perceived weak draft, swing for a home run. Kid is lengthy, and mobile and is skilled.

Also, his name is funny for me, so he's entertaining. (Bol Bol is literally translated as pubic hair in Tagalog. I know, immature, but still)

just like Kristap his ability to add strength is a concern

Its not like he can play SG and avoid contact

Porzingis' lack of strength has not stopped him from being an effective defensive player. They said the same thing with Rudy Gobert. If he develop properly, it should not hinder Bol Bol as well. There's more to playing defense than just strength.

Manute was a rail, and there is no signs that Bol will ever NOT be a rail either.

7foot3 ad 208lbs.

That is ridiculous.

there are so many 6foot5 guards who already carry more weight on their frames.

Regardless of being a 'rail', Manute Bol was an excellent defender.   So what if big centers could body him up?  They still couldn't shoot over him.  That's what kept him in the NBA for a decade.  He led the NBA in block percentage 5 times during that span!   His 'weakness' that kept him from being a star was that he had almost zero offensive game. 

His son does not have that weakness.  He was raised playing basketball and has a much more polished offensive game that his father could never dream of having.  And in the modern game there are just fewer and fewer big bruising post-up players anyway. 

If Bol slips to one of our first two picks, I would definitely take a chance on him.  I agree with the notion that in this draft, with a couple of top 20 picks we might as well swing for the fences.
Except you're missing the biggest point of this. If being so thin makes him a huge injury risk (which has seen to be the case so far), than it is indeed a weakness.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 06:31:50 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Bol Bol.

With three 1st round picks in a perceived weak draft, swing for a home run. Kid is lengthy, and mobile and is skilled.

Also, his name is funny for me, so he's entertaining. (Bol Bol is literally translated as pubic hair in Tagalog. I know, immature, but still)

Porzingis' lack of strength has not stopped him from being an effective defensive player. They said the same thing with Rudy Gobert. If he develop properly, it should not hinder Bol Bol as well. There's more to playing defense than just strength.

Manute was a rail, and there is no signs that Bol will ever NOT be a rail either.

7foot3 ad 208lbs.

That is ridiculous.

Regardless of being a 'rail', Manute Bol was an excellent defender.   So what if big centers could body him up?  They still couldn't shoot over him.  That's what kept him in the NBA for a decade.  He led the NBA in block percentage 5 times during that span!   His 'weakness' that kept him from being a star was that he had almost zero offensive game. 

His son does not have that weakness.  He was raised playing basketball and has a much more polished offensive game that his father could never dream of having.  And in the modern game there are just fewer and fewer big bruising post-up players anyway. 

If Bol slips to one of our first two picks, I would definitely take a chance on him.  I agree with the notion that in this draft, with a couple of top 20 picks we might as well swing for the fences.

Well comparing his playing ability to his fathers is nit a good comparison becasr the game is much different.

And back them Manute was dominated by the centersvin the league. Yeah he got some blocks but he didnt stop anybody. His defensive ratings were mediocre at best.

There is a reason he rarely started and played few minutes as well. His body couldnt take it. He was slow, plodding, weak.

Bol is the same. Slow, plodding, weak. He will get bullied by guards on the block seeing how alot of wing players already outweigh him. And that continued physical abuse will break him.

Who cares if he blocks 2 shots a game when he is so weak defensively that he will be rendered useless. In tidays nba he will be parked at the 3pt line defensively and he wll never recover quickly enough. People here complain of centers like jonas v for lack of foot speed. Jonas can run circles around Bol.

Unpess bol starts taking HGH and puts in 60lbs of lean muscle he will be a dumpster fire of an nba player.

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 07:28:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Worth noting the Cs have reportedly worked out

Daniel Gafford and Mfoindu Kabengele
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 07:33:06 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413

Loved to get these 2 plus Herro and i call it a grand slam draft
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 07:44:42 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Hayes seems like the only center in this year's draft that may be out of reach for Boston at #14.

I am not really familiar with him other than whatever is available on Youtube, and that's all dunk, dunk, dunk...

Is he worth trading up for? That would be difficult, but if he's the right guy, who knows

Worth noting that he was on the Celts interview list at the combine. I'm not reading too much into this, but it does show that they thought he was a player that they should take a closer look at.

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 07:50:32 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Bol Bol.

7foot3 ad 208lbs.

That is ridiculous.

Except you're missing the biggest point of this. If being so thin makes him a huge injury risk (which has seen to be the case so far), than it is indeed a weakness.

I don't see any way that Bol is going to be able to participate in a switching defense. Sorry, but I don't think I want to witness this.

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 07:59:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I like the the hispanic Taco eating dude. 

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 08:14:54 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

He reminds me of a poor man's serge Ibaka. His jump shot is extremely fluid for a man of his size. He has spark plug capabilities, and he has Jim Boeheim's approval so he has my vote.

Boeheim - "He’s just really good. He shoots it, he gets it inside, he’s a good passer and a good defensive player. You realize the guy is only playing about 18 to 19 minutes a game and still scoring 13 to 14 points per game. If he played 30 minutes a game, he’d be averaging close to 30 points per game. He’s really good."

Obviously he is exaggerating a bit, but the kid can fill it up.
#JKJB

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 08:17:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Fernado for me.  I like his build, his athletic ability and he has some skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQsjAbZDx-4

JK on the video, but I like Bruno.

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 01:28:37 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Bol Bol.

7foot3 ad 208lbs.

That is ridiculous.

Well comparing his playing ability to his fathers is nit a good comparison becasr the game is much different.

And back them Manute was dominated by the centersvin the league. Yeah he got some blocks but he didnt stop anybody. His defensive ratings were mediocre at best.

There is a reason he rarely started and played few minutes as well. His body couldnt take it. He was slow, plodding, weak.

Manute Bol's defensive ratings were consistently 4-5 points better than league average through most of his career.  That's not 'mediocre'.  That's excellent.

His career DRtg of 103 was earned during an era when league average was typically just over 108 points per 100.  During his career the lowest league average dropped was to 106.3 and that was near the very tail end of his career when he was barely playing.   In no other year of his career was league average below 107.2 and most years it was well above 108.

It is true that Manute Bol did not play a lot of minutes.  But that was largely because he was offensively terrible and thus not suitable to start.  However, he was more durable than you are giving him credit.  He played between 71-82 games for 7 straight seasons.

Way too early to tell whether his son will be durable or not.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 05:21:28 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hayes seems like the only center in this year's draft that may be out of reach for Boston at #14.

I am not really familiar with him other than whatever is available on Youtube, and that's all dunk, dunk, dunk...

Is he worth trading up for? That would be difficult, but if he's the right guy, who knows

Worth noting that he was on the Celts interview list at the combine. I'm not reading too much into this, but it does show that they thought he was a player that they should take a closer look at.
Jeff Goodman, who follows college basketball a lot, loves Hayes. Thinks he’s going to be stud in NBA.

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2019, 05:24:42 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Bol Bol.

7foot3 ad 208lbs.

That is ridiculous.

Manute Bol's defensive ratings were consistently 4-5 points better than league average through most of his career.  That's not 'mediocre'.  That's excellent.

His career DRtg of 103 was earned during an era when league average was typically just over 108 points per 100.  During his career the lowest league average dropped was to 106.3 and that was near the very tail end of his career when he was barely playing.   In no other year of his career was league average below 107.2 and most years it was well above 108.

It is true that Manute Bol did not play a lot of minutes.  But that was largely because he was offensively terrible and thus not suitable to start.  However, he was more durable than you are giving him credit.  He played between 71-82 games for 7 straight seasons.

Way too early to tell whether his son will be durable or not.

Look at average for centers.
He came off bemch amd played limited minutes

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 05:52:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I feel he is overrated but one exception in that he is very mobil. He has no problems running up and down and switch constantly. With all the knocking of Bol with his weight, Hayes is also a light weight. Bol has SF skills which can let him play that or PF off the bench year one and two at 200lbs. Hayes has to be a PF or center so he may be unplayable half of year one due to being 220lbs. He also isn't special length or skill wise. He very well could be there at 14 seeing he likely won't have impact that teams want from a high lottery pick.

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 06:29:58 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

I feel he is overrated but one exception in that he is very mobil. He has no problems running up and down and switch constantly. With all the knocking of Bol with his weight, Hayes is also a light weight. Bol has SF skills which can let him play that or PF off the bench year one and two at 200lbs. Hayes has to be a PF or center so he may be unplayable half of year one due to being 220lbs. He also isn't special length or skill wise. He very well could be there at 14 seeing he likely won't have impact that teams want from a high lottery pick.

Its not just the weight.

He is slow. He plods. He has really high hips which gives him a very HIGH center of gravity. He has a really hard time getting down low.

And although he is long he still wont close out well in an nba game.

His game will be trailing 3 point shooter. He will be the last one up the court in every game on every play.

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 06:41:44 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
For those that didn't know, Bassey decided to return to school. He should be a lock for the lottery next year.

Also, Azubuike, from Kansas, never declared and is staying in school as well. Very strong but conditioning has always been a problem and is foul prone. He can't shoot free throws either. I could make more than him with my eyes closed, that's how bad he is.