Author Topic: Tim Thomas White House Snub  (Read 11969 times)

Tim Thomas White House Snub
« on: January 28, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »

Offline CeIticsFan18

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 3
Why is everyone criticizing Thomas for expressing his opinions and not attending the white house gathering? Thomas' points where well thought out, and spoken, whereas the retractors who are criticizing him keep giving the old company business lines, that are recycled, and not thought out, just a cover of the azz statements. It seems that when someone expresses their opinion even if they are right, everyone jumps on them just because they are the only ones who voice that opinion. I think the huge point that everyone is missing is that Thomas is 1 of only 2 native born americans on the team, everyone else was born outside of USA. The better question might be why were all these immigrants invited to the white house playing a sport that was created in a different country? just because they play on a boston usa team doesnt mean anything. Im sure that whatever countries they are from, they dont agree with political views and ideas expressed by their native governments, and the reason why they arent against going to the white house, like thomas, is because they arent familiar with the american policies, I mean come on, most citizens here arent familiar with policies, so how can we expect foreign born hockey players to even have a clue about them. It just seems like if u go along with the majority and the majority is wrong, then thats ok, no criticism, but if your right but in the minority, then your criticized, some of these people should look at themselves in the mirror before pointing fingers. Most of the time athletes are called out for not knowing the current events and being in their own worlds, even if you dont agree with Thomas' actions, you should applaud him for being right up to date with the views and current events and for doing what he believes in.

Re: Tim Thomas White House Snub
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree.

I would have gone to the White House if I was Thomas.  I see it as a huge honor, and whether or not you like Barack Obama or George W. Bush or whoever, meeting the President is a big deal.

However, Thomas is entitled to a different opinion.  If Thomas has strongly held beliefs, it may make him feel like a huge hypocrite to go smile, shake Obama's hand, and engage in a photo op.

I think the media made this into a huge deal.  I understand those people who think Thomas should have gone, but it's his prerogative to respectfully disagree.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Why is everyone criticizing Thomas for expressing his opinions and not attending the white house gathering? Thomas' points where well thought out, and spoken, whereas the retractors who are criticizing him keep giving the old company business lines, that are recycled, and not thought out, just a cover of the azz statements. It seems that when someone expresses their opinion even if they are right, everyone jumps on them just because they are the only ones who voice that opinion. I think the huge point that everyone is missing is that Thomas is 1 of only 2 native born americans on the team, everyone else was born outside of USA. The better question might be why were all these immigrants invited to the white house playing a sport that was created in a different country? just because they play on a boston usa team doesnt mean anything. Im sure that whatever countries they are from, they dont agree with political views and ideas expressed by their native governments, and the reason why they arent against going to the white house, like thomas, is because they arent familiar with the american policies, I mean come on, most citizens here arent familiar with policies, so how can we expect foreign born hockey players to even have a clue about them. It just seems like if u go along with the majority and the majority is wrong, then thats ok, no criticism, but if your right but in the minority, then your criticized, some of these people should look at themselves in the mirror before pointing fingers. Most of the time athletes are called out for not knowing the current events and being in their own worlds, even if you dont agree with Thomas' actions, you should applaud him for being right up to date with the views and current events and for doing what he believes in.

i could care less about thomas' political views.  i think he is an idiot bc it was a team event. A celebration for the team's accomplishment.  u go to be with your brothers and be recognized for the team's accomplishment.

he has the right to do what he wants, but he let his team down and now everyone has to answer questions about why he didn't attend, rather than enjoy the honor and accolades. 

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Of course Tim Thomas had every right not to go the White House and meet President Obama, but I think it was a stupid move.  As Bill Reynolds pointed out in a recent article in the Providence Journal, there are surely lots of athletes who have been invited to meet the president who have disagreed with the administration's policies but went anyway to share in the honor of their teammates.

It's particularly unfortunate because he was the big star on that team and his omission draws significant attention and could cast a pall on what is meant to be a special honor for all the members of the team. 

Personally, I think he's being a petulant brat.  But, he has the right to be one.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I agree.

I would have gone to the White House if I was Thomas.  I see it as a huge honor, and whether or not you like Barack Obama or George W. Bush or whoever, meeting the President is a big deal.

However, Thomas is entitled to a different opinion.  If Thomas has strongly held beliefs, it may make him feel like a huge hypocrite to go smile, shake Obama's hand, and engage in a photo op.

I think the media made this into a huge deal.  I understand those people who think Thomas should have gone, but it's his prerogative to respectfully disagree.

Couldn't agree more. I would've gone but I don't begrudge him for choosing not to. Would anyone here have been angry if Bill Russell didn't visit the White House in the 1950s to protest segregation?

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I agree.

Couldn't agree more. I would've gone but I don't begrudge him for choosing not to. Would anyone here have been angry if Bill Russell didn't visit the White House in the 1950s to protest segregation?

I should note - Thomas' points obviously don't equate to segregation or civil rights in general. My point is that he has political beliefs and he's exercising his rights to express them.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Selfish move by Tim Thomas, putting himself ahead of his team.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I was disappointed at first because I wanted to relive the celebration.

But then I realized that his teammates didn't care that he skipped it, Obama didn't care, and Timmy doesn't care what we think of his politics.

So I stopped caring. The degree that this story has gotten blown up is INSANE.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 05:11:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
My understanding is there is a bit of precedent for this when Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton both turned down Olympic tryout invites. Kareem did it to protest treatment of black athletes and Walton did it to protest the Vietnam War.  And those guys were only 22.

I agree Thomas was a bit of a brat, but he didn't let down his team or fans nearly as much as the government has let down its country.

I've always felt a tad bit awkward about the presidential visits. What if I were president? Would I invite the Lakers and shake hands with a d bag like Kobe? I don't like the way they give the president jerseys with the #1 on them. It seems too tributish to me. Too royal.

To me the president and government works for us at our pleasure and it is their privilege, not the other way round, so if Thomas doesn't want to go, then that's that.

If Obama wants to visit Tim Thomas let him come to Tim's house. 

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I was disappointed at first because I wanted to relive the celebration.

But then I realized that his teammates didn't care that he skipped it, Obama didn't care, and Timmy doesn't care what we think of his politics.

So I stopped caring. The degree that this story has gotten blown up is INSANE.
fair point...tp...but I bet Obama did care a little

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The Bruins avoided having to discipline Tim Thomas by not making the White House trip mandatory. Ealier this season, Tyler Seguin was benched for a game after he missed a mandatory team breakfast. Let this serve as a reminder that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
It took guts to make his stand. Many would have given in to peer pressure.

I respect him.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 06:32:27 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
“I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.” Tim Thomas

I can't fault a man for exercising his rights. More power to him.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Has there been any confirmation that Thomas is a Ron Paul guy? Sure sounds like it.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I don't know if it is more a measure of 'guts' to avoid an event on political grounds or to shake hands in a civil way with someone you disagree with. 

Thomas made a political statement and then said (in his statement) that this wasn't political.  That was a bit disingenuous. 

I will say that I've heard that Tim is a Glen Beck fanatic.  Beck goes overboard in my opinion, often making accusations and conspiratorial statements that I believe are untrue. That too is his right, but I don't have to like it.  Tim Thomas isn't Glrn Beck and didn't say anything too controversial, though I wouldn't characterize America quite as negatively as Thomas did.  I think its fine that he chose to exercise his rights by avoiding the president, but when you purposefully make political statements, don't you have to expect some sort of reaction?