Author Topic: Wheels Falling Off the Pats' Bus  (Read 7900 times)

Wheels Falling Off the Pats' Bus
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:34:30 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
That was ugly.  Unwatchable.

The Pats play enough bad teams that they'll still be able to win some games, but clearly they can't afford to fall behind against a decent team (or even a bad one). Teams are sure going to relish beating the pants off the Pats given the opportunity.

Is there any hope for a turn around? I'd beat mighty impressed if they can stay competitive, and find ways to improve at this point. 

Yup

Re: Wheels Falling Off the Pats' Bus
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

The Pats play enough bad teams that they'll still be able to win some games, but clearly they can't afford to fall behind against a decent team (or even a bad one). Teams are sure going to relish beating the pants off the Pats given the opportunity.

Is there any hope for a turn around? I'd beat mighty impressed if they can stay competitive, and find ways to improve at this point. 

I think this in the end will be a lost season, you just hope they can develop enough of the younger guys so next year they'll be ready to step in for the older guys who are slowing down and will likely be seeing lesser roles when Brady comes back
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:59:51 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I think this in the end will be a lost season, you just hope they can develop enough of the younger guys so next year they'll be ready to step in for the older guys who are slowing down and will likely be seeing lesser roles when Brady comes back

:(  I just want them to be competitive.  Getting smoked is awful.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:06:55 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

:(  I just want them to be competitive.  Getting smoked is awful.

I wanted to find you something to cheer you up, this is all I could come up with:

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Well, on the bright side, at least they don't have a draft lottery in the NFL. It looks like they could be playing for picks. Hard to believe that one player could make such a differance, but it must. What I can't understand is why Brady being out has made their defense so terrible?

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
What I can't understand is why Brady being out has made their defense so terrible?

There's something be said for talent, coaching, athleticism etc...but what the Pats really lost when Brady went down was Moxy. 
Yup

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
When a team looks this inept, it's either the coaching or the players (or both) to account for their poor performance.  Recall that all this started in the Super Bowl and the scapegoat coach responsible is no longer with the Pats.  Obviously that solution was an oversimplification since not much has changed.

The concept of a three man rush was great while it lasted but either offenses got better or our cornerstones got worse.  Cassell was terrible, under-threw his receivers or threw behind them or worse, didn't see the open receivers.  It's time to change quarterbacks again or we can expect to see mediocre play.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The Steering Wheel, Tom Brady, fell off in week one. I thought it was pretty obvious this thing would go spinning out of control after that.

...And that's why Tom Brady was MVP last year and not Moss.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Teams with crappy QB's are going to struggle in this league. A good QB effects an entire team even the D. The Pats D was never good enough to be repeatedly tested on the field. With older veteran guys they always needed their rest. Without the powerful passing game the lack of a great running game is also exposed. Before because of the threat of the pass they could actually pick up some good yards on the ground..

The Pats should have had someone with experience and talent in the backup spot like they have had in years past - in Flutie and Testervarde. This Cassell guy has the physical tools but not the know how. The Pats are sunk.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 09:29:32 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
It's a lost season, Cassell is not an NFL quarterback at this point. At first I thought the coaching staff was holding Cassell back, but now I realize they were just trying to keep him from exposing his glaring weaknesses. Defense being terrible is strange, maybe some if there poor play can be attributed to the extended time they now see on the field, but they are still looking slow and out of position from the jump.

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 11:01:04 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I guess we could say the same thing about the New Jersey Giants.  The Pats at least got blown out by a good team.

I still think this is a 10 win team an a very formidable playoff team.  Let's not forget who's coaching this team.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:05:46 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I guess we could say the same thing about the New Jersey Giants.  The Pats at least got blown out by a good team.

Wow!  Just saw that score.  I hit the hay early last night and forgot to check the final this morning.  Crazy NFL
Yup

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I still think this is a 10 win team an a very formidable playoff team.  Let's not forget who's coaching this team.
The problem is not just Matt Cassell (even though he is the worst qb in the league), Our defense is not very good. Deltha O'Neil is consistenly getting burned as are most of our D-backs. I think this year we will end up with a decent draft pick and then when Brady comes back the pats will be unstoppable.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
The NFL is a league built around offense. It's difficult for a defense to dominate they way they use to, Baltimore in 00, Pats 01, etc...

The Pats have a good D, but if they can't rely on the offense putting up points and winning the field position battles then they will struggle.

At least they have not been turning the ball over too much, although the QB position has turned the ball over 5 times to only 3 TDs. Blah!

Without Brady or a QB who can make plays, the Pats will be lucky to finish .500.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
What I can't understand is why Brady being out has made their defense so terrible?

There's something be said for talent, coaching, athleticism etc...but what the Pats really lost when Brady went down was Moxy. 

So in your opinion, Brady is the grease that lobes the wheel, not Belichick? I mean, I've been hearing for years that he's a genius, yet for some reason he can't seem to motivate this team. I could be wrong, but I think this team still has talent and athleticism. Maybe it's me, but I just don't see them playing with any intensity. Moss looks like he's back on Oakland. He doesn't have his quarterback so he's just playing at half speed. No pass rush. Even their special teams coverage sucks. I feels like when Brady went down, the team desided the season was over. Too bad. I think they could have been okay, even with Cassell.