Author Topic: Pats idea: Trade for Garcia  (Read 8613 times)

Re: Pats idea: Trade for Garcia
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I'd be happy with a trade for Garcia. Garcia could win a crap load of games for us - he is actually pretty darn good. I think BB could change the system around a bit for Garcia. As for Matt Cassell being the next Tom Brady. No. Cassell has world class recievers to throw to and still can't rack up a few touchdowns. That's alot different from when Tom first arrived.

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
I wouldn't trade a case of Sam Adams for Garcia right now.

He's banged up and ineffective. You don't really know which Garcia is going to show up (check his career stats, year to year).

His QB rating is lower than Cassell.

He doesn't know the system.

To expect Cassell to be the next Tom Brady is absurd. All he's expected to do is hand off the ball, pass efficiently when asked to (which he has been doing, last week aside), and get a few TD's to keep the defenses on their toes.

Cassell actually HAS racked up a few TD's, and thrown 2 FEWER interceptions than Bret Favre.

You can't put last week's loss on Cassell either, that was a team collapse.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
If they wanted a 7th rounder then sure...but they will want significantly more.

Cassel, as mentioned by the poster above me, hasnt been that bad.  Obviously he has things he needs to work on (making quicker decisions, moving better within the pocket, accuracy, etc...) but he hasnt been as bad as NE fans are suggesting. 

The Defense was atrocious last game, a game they probably lose with Brady playing. 

Also, as mentioned, if they were going to be bringing in a vet, they would have done it already so that they could have utilized the bye week to help the qb learn the system.  The fact that it hasnt happened is a pretty good sign that it isnt going to happen.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 05:40:20 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Jeff Garcia is, IMHO, one of the most underrated players of the past fifteen years.  Virtually every place he's been, his team has had success, yet they can't seem to get rid of him fast enough.  My hypothesis is that this IS due to the perception that he's, well...   you know ;), and that's complete and utter bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..  His numbers last year were quite comparable to those of the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS' new QB. 

Now, what I've also heard but don't have the data to back up is that he hasn't performed very well when asked to operate outside of a west coast offense.  But, he's always seemed like a smart guy, you love that he can move around the pocket a bit, and he's definately a wily veteran.  I'm definately a Garcia fan.

BUT, if they were going to make a move, it would have been early this week, to give him 10-12 days to cram an abbreviated version of the playbook.  Face it, if Cassell bombs out, it'll be time to dust of Vinnie again, since he could step in and play basically on day one.  I think he's basically the third QB right now, just not officially signed; if Cassell gets hurt, you know they'll be on the phone.

The bigger worry I have, though...  and I hesitate to even say this...  but has Belichick's ego just gotten the better of him?  Does he really believe that the team wouldn't have been better-off with someone like Chris Simms or even Tim Rattay as the backup?  Let O'Connell learn as the third QB for the season - at least someone like Simms or Rattay or Testeverde or Garcia would be a viable guy to put into the game should Cassell get hurt.  Is this Belichick's big "SCREW YOU!" to the football universe, trying to prove that he can coach a team to the title regardless of the players?

Really, how would have signing someone like Simms possibly have been a bad thing?  They brought him to town, but didn't work him out.  Why not?  How can having a guy who's actually taken a few snaps in the NFL really be a bad thing?  If Cassel can't take the pressure, well...  he's not likely to be a successful NFL QB, is he?  He'll be pulling a Vince Young on us before week 12...   ::)

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
someone just needs to tell matt to throw it up to Randy at least 6 times a game. 

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Garcia is bad....

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia or maybe even a deal for Bulger.  They could let either show their stuff for this year, then let them both walk next year as free agents (cutting Bulger).  Now, just like the NBA, there has to be a cap hit for either of my suggestions, I'm sure.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."