Author Topic: Would Atlanta Hawks deal the 6th pick?  (Read 4667 times)

Re: Would Atlanta Hawks deal the 6th pick?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 09:26:59 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever trade Marcus Smart.

Nooooope.

I know Smart is our leader and perhaps the best guard defender in the league but his shooting is a major issue, and it’s not that he is not a good shooter or has poor mechanics, it’s that he is very poor at his shot selection and that is a huge problem for a contender because not only do players like that not win games...they lose them.

Smart’s value would be at an all time high right now as he’s on a very team friendly deal and he’s in his prime. We can get a veteran free agent to replace most of his defence for cheaper then his deal and get Haliburton whom is better suited next to someone like Tatum and Hayward.

The comp for Tatum has been Bryant or to a lesser extent stylistically Jordan and they both had defensive catch and shoot guards who can create when needed and know their role (Fisher & Ron Harper), Tyrese can be that guy for us long term and short term a great of the bench role player.

Why are people so interested in going backwards? Smart is much better than those guys above. I know people are desperate after the loss but hurting your best players for rookies isn’t the best way to do it.

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 09:51:05 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26

Nooooope.

I know Smart is our leader and perhaps the best guard defender in the league but his shooting is a major issue, and it’s not that he is not a good shooter or has poor mechanics, it’s that he is very poor at his shot selection and that is a huge problem for a contender because not only do players like that not win games...they lose them.

Smart’s value would be at an all time high right now as he’s on a very team friendly deal and he’s in his prime. We can get a veteran free agent to replace most of his defence for cheaper then his deal and get Haliburton whom is better suited next to someone like Tatum and Hayward.

The comp for Tatum has been Bryant or to a lesser extent stylistically Jordan and they both had defensive catch and shoot guards who can create when needed and know their role (Fisher & Ron Harper), Tyrese can be that guy for us long term and short term a great of the bench role player.

Why are people so interested in going backwards? Smart is much better than those guys above. I know people are desperate after the loss but hurting your best players for rookies isn’t the best way to do it.

Please do some research on Haliburton before making a final statement, because I think you’ve never taken the time to read up on him.

Ron Harper was a Hall of Fame talent before getting injured and was still better then Smart during his time with the Bulls and Fisher shot .400 from 3 and 90% from the line regularly and when you have Shaq, Kobe and later Gasol that is what you want from your role players...this is what i am alluding to Smart doesn’t think or want to be a role player and understand his limitations. Smart shot .394% from the field and .333% from 3 in the playoffs...that is terrible. Again it’s not his mechanics it’s his shot selection that is the problem and by now it won’t change. Look at guys like JR Smith and Dion Waiters, no one wants them because they make poor decisions...Smart is no where near as bad and is an all world defender but you can’t win a championship with a key guy shooting .394% from the floor. Smart is also our only real tradeable asset without losing any of our all star talent and after this offseason all of Ainge’s warchest of picks are gone.

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Nooooope.

Please do some research on Haliburton before making a final statement, because I think you’ve never taken the time to read up on him.

Ron Harper was a Hall of Fame talent before getting injured and was still better then Smart during his time with the Bulls and Fisher shot .400 from 3 and 90% from the line regularly and when you have Shaq, Kobe and later Gasol that is what you want from your role players...this is what i am alluding to Smart doesn’t think or want to be a role player and understand his limitations. Smart shot .394% from the field and .333% from 3 in the playoffs...that is terrible. Again it’s not his mechanics it’s his shot selection that is the problem and by now it won’t change. Look at guys like JR Smith and Dion Waiters, no one wants them because they make poor decisions...Smart is no where near as bad and is an all world defender but you can’t win a championship with a key guy shooting .394% from the floor. Smart is also our only real tradeable asset without losing any of our all star talent and after this offseason all of Ainge’s warchest of picks are gone.

I did, I like him but he's not worth giving up Smart. He provides elite defense that's not easily replaced and besides it's not like he shot bad because he wanted to. Kemba was playing hurt and Gordon was out for most of the playoffs. They are in a good place no need for desperation moves.

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 10:50:36 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Nooooope.

Aaaaaaand his TS% was 55.2% (slightly below average when compared to the average during the RS) :laugh:. Trying to measure efficiency using the raw slash line has to go ::)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 10:51:29 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hawks wouldn't trade a 22 yo 20/10 guy shooting 40% 3pt for a broken down 30 yr old wing who doesn't fit their time frame...Especially on a 1 yr contract with the ability to overpay him and give up no talent next fall.

That said, Atlanta should definitely want Smart (and prob the 14). He's a culture changer which is exactly what they need. If they get a young PF at 6, say Toppin. And have a target at 14....then that trade is a slam dunk for them. Smart is a young leader, all defensive muscle to pair with Young's scoring. Add Hunter, Reddish and Toppin's athleticism on at the wing/forward. Overpay for a vet PF/C like Ibaka along with Capella and Huerter and the 14th pick... they'd have a squad that could compete in the east next year and still have cap room to add a FA next fall (Hayward perhaps haha).

As for the C's, Collins makes a ton of sense, even if it requires an overpay for the Celtics. He fits the Brown and Tatum timeframe and his strengths/weaknesses seem to fit the team and system nicely.  Three big, athletic 2 way wings/forwards under 23 who can all shoot? Yes, please. Collins 3 pt shooting will spread the floor, he can run the pnr and finish at the rim. Atlanta seems to want him to be more a shot creator and defensive stopper, which he is not...but he doesn't need to be that on the C's. He can move his feet, switch and block some shots...our system will hide some weaknesses. It also allows us to start our best 5 (Walker, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Collins) by moving Theis to the bench it adds some big man depth. It would also open the door for Langford to get some run and unlock some of that potential he has shown.

I hope Ainge is targeting Collins...and Atlanta is impatient enough to move him.
I think it is worth saying that a 20-10 guy on a bad team is not the same a 20-10 guy on a good team. I like Collins, but box scores don't always tell the whole story.
They always don't tell the whole story unless they're adjusted or used as data for composite box score stats like PIPM, and even then we need to do some legwork at the very least to make sense of the numbers. Pulling out the basic slash line to say that John Collins is great isn't convincing at all (although I do think that he has potential, his offence is pretty tantalizing next to quality on-ball creators).

Uhhhhh...I never said that his slash line in Atlanta suggests greatness or that he'd put up that line here. I said Atlanta isn't trading a young productive player for an old guy who can't stay on the court anymore.

Now, I did suggest that how he scores and his athleticism make him super intriguing and why he'd flourish next to Brown and Tatum in a Brad Steven's system for many years.
Just to be clear, I know what you said. I do think you are painting Hayward in the worst possible light and Collins in a very positive light. I was trying to take some shine off Collins with my comment. I'd also suggest that Hayward is much more valuable than you make him seem.
^this.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2020, 01:01:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Nooooope.

I know Smart is our leader and perhaps the best guard defender in the league but his shooting is a major issue.

Here's the thing

It's not
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2020, 05:02:55 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens

Nooooope.

I know Smart is our leader and perhaps the best guard defender in the league but his shooting is a major issue.

Here's the thing

It's not

I love all the time, depth and cogency of your arguments

If you ever become a lawyer, your win percentage would have to be 0% with that level of arrogant laziness.

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2020, 06:44:41 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Nooooope.

Here's the thing

It's not

If you ever become a lawyer, your win percentage would have to be 0% with that level of arrogant laziness.
May I suggest that you set an example. Your post on Smart’s shooting would have benefited from greater detail.

For example, Over his career smarts 3 point shooting has improved and the last two years he was shooting about league average.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2020, 06:47:51 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Nooooope.

Here's the thing

It's not

I don’t love Marcus’ shooting but he’s certainly an effective offensive player.  35% from 3, excellent (and clutch) FT shooter, above average passer (5apg), decent driving/finishing, decent handle, boards well at 6’4”.  Marcus plays multiple roles on offense and defense and there is no one on the team I want on the floor in the last 5 minutes more than Smart.

His shooting selection is agonizing at times. Though he is streaky from the 3 and that certainly works in the C’s favor at times, generally I am not confident when puts up a long ball.  Do have to remember regarding these playoffs that he was de facto 3rd option from 3 as GH was hurt and Kemba wasn’t Kemba. 

That said, if selling Smart high potentially adds needs like high-level/defensive size and/or sharpshooting without too much overall cost on the defensive side, certainly need to listen.

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2020, 02:33:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Nooooope.

Here's the thing

It's not

LOL I am a lawyer bro

This isn't my job.

And actually if there's anything I've learned from being an attorney it's that there's no point in wasting your time refuting arguments that are so lacking in merit that they refute themselves and cast in doubt the worthiness of anything else the proponent of said argument happens to say
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:39:00 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2020, 04:35:16 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens

Nooooope.

Here's the thing

It's not

LOL I am a lawyer bro

This isn't my job.

And actually if there's anything I've learned from being an attorney it's that there's no point in wasting your time refuting arguments that are so lacking in merit that they refute themselves and cast in doubt the worthiness of anything else the proponent of said argument happens to say

So why comment at all???

Perhaps I misinterpreted your posts tone, but you must understand when you write statements like that, it comes across as rudely dismissive and arrogant.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 04:50:46 PM by shut_the_gate »

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2020, 05:17:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Nooooope.

Name them. Because no such free agent exists in this class of free agency
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2020, 05:24:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Nooooope.

Here's the thing

It's not

LOL I am a lawyer bro

This isn't my job.

So why comment at all???

Perhaps I misinterpreted your posts tone, but you must understand when you write statements like that, it comes across as rudely dismissive and arrogant.

I mean yes the internet is about dunking sometimes.

Like Marcus smart would do, I suggest you brush it off and move on to the next play

You see, smarts intense focus and willingness to keep playing hard no matter how many shots he's missed or whether the opponent just scored on him is why I don't particularly care about his shooting

Smart has been willing to shoot his whole career even when he was building brick houses every night

The team is better with him. We want him to be who he is.

I get that it's not for everybody, but, again, here's the thing

It's not actually a problem

And I don't care
- Mark Twain