Author Topic: Pierce: "I was better than D Wade"  (Read 6759 times)

Re: Pierce: "I was better than D Wade"
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2019, 01:37:00 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I love the Truth but I gotta give this to D-Wade. At one point he was considered the heir apparent to MJ and Kobe when it came to the shooting guard position. But it's not that big a difference.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2019, 04:05:21 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Here are their career stats compared to each other presented as is and not the disingenuous way they were presented earlier in the thread:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Paul+Pierce&player_id1_select=Paul+Pierce&y1=2017&player_id1=piercpa01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Dwyane+Wade&player_id2_select=Dwyane+Wade&y2=2019&player_id2=wadedw01&idx=players

As can be seen, Wade took more shots so scored slightly more. Pierce was a slightly better rebounder, Wade the slightly better passer. Pierce the more efficient scorer overall, better free throw shooter and better outside shooter. Wade was better shooting within the three point line. Their defense was both very good.

Their per36, per 100 poss, and playoff numbers are all similar.

Big difference between them is Pierce played 300 more regular season games. If Pierce retired 4 years earlier, the games would be similar and his per game numbers probably would be better.

Personally, I am not sure I can objectively say one was better than the other.

Well said thank you for this

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2019, 04:07:17 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am a better basketball player than Bill Russell!
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2019, 09:07:54 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
When they were both playing I don't remember for one instant thinking that Wade was as good a player as Pierce. I always thought Wade was the luckiest player in the NBA because first Shaq and then Lebron voluntarily joined his team.

Even if their career stats are comparable, as others have noted. I can only imagine what Pierce's numbers would have looked like if he spent a large portion of his career without facing the double and triple teaming that was used against him every night.

A lot of revisionist history floating around during Wade's retirement year.

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I love the Truth but I gotta give this to D-Wade. At one point he was considered the heir apparent to MJ and Kobe when it came to the shooting guard position. But it's not that big a difference.
considered by who, D Wade?

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He is not called the "Truth " for nothing ....if Shaq says so , then it is so.  ...LOL  :)