Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) vs Utah Jazz (0-0) Jazz SL Game 1 7/6/15  (Read 89464 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) vs Utah Jazz (0-0) Jazz SL Game 1 7/6/15
« Reply #540 on: July 06, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Jordan Mickey, wow

why wow? I told you folks lol

Kid has 3 blocks today.  I was expecting more

I'm not seeing it, man. The offensive game has been a pleasant surprise, but he's been basically  overpowered the entire game in his defensive rebounding/positioning. Mostly by Cooley who isn't an NBA player.

cooley is a center that weighs 270 pounds.  Mickey is playing out of position

Cooley is 6-9 and listed at 246.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2488713/jack-cooley

Mickey is close to 240. Are you kidding me?   Cooley is at least 260 I'm guessing.  The measurements you listed is probably from 2 years ago or something

Ok, but he's still not a center, he's 6-9, and he's not an NBA caliber player. Are you telling me that Mickey is going to have trouble controlling boards against the Jack Cooley's of the world?

Mickey had a great game, what do you mean he isn't NBA calibur?

Talking about Cooley. And no, I don't think Mickey had a great game. There are a lot of things that don't show up in the box score.

All things considered, I think Mickey was great. A second round pick who was able to finish and had some nice blocks. His motor could be better and maybe rebounding, but its hard to judge on his first summer league game. It was a great start for him. He had the best game for Boston other than Smart, arguably.

« Reply #541 on: July 06, 2015, 11:22:35 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Trying to argue the leading scorer and assist man in the game is having a bad game is high comedy at this point. hahaha

James Harden has his stat line, he's an MVP candidate. Marcus Smart has this stat line, he's out of control.  ::)

James Harden averages this stat line in the regular season. Smart put it up in Summer League where majority of these players are undrafted FA. I think your logic is a little flawed.

Not really the point, point is even against these players, whats positive for some should also be positive for another, not the opposite. Doing this against actual NBA players is great, doing this against scrubs is meh,  but not horrible like what people had been saying, get it?

« Reply #542 on: July 06, 2015, 11:22:35 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
These guys are very handicapped with no center .

I don't think they can win a game without a center to rebound for them......

Our squad. Is TOO short.

« Reply #543 on: July 06, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
hood > Young

Hunter could turn out to be a bust.  Not really quick, athletic.  Thin.  Low release.

oh boy
Hood is also almost 3 years older than Young. People need to take a chill pill.

What the hecks that have to do with anything?  Either you can play or you can't.  Doesn't matter what age you are.

Oh it matters a heck of a lot. There is an endless list of players that struggled in their teens who went on to be all-star level players in the NBA.

You'd have a point if they didn't both start their nba career at the same time .  Stop making excuses for young who will be a bust!
Or one the flip side, it took James Young 3 less years of development time to be considered an NBA prospect than it took Rodney Hood.

Young might end up a bust, but age absolutely matters when judging a prospect.

« Reply #544 on: July 06, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jordan Mickey, wow

I'm not seeing it, man. The offensive game has been a pleasant surprise, but he's been basically  overpowered the entire game in his defensive rebounding/positioning. Mostly by Cooley who isn't an NBA player.

Mickey is close to 240. Are you kidding me?   Cooley is at least 260 I'm guessing.  The measurements you listed is probably from 2 years ago or something

Ok, but he's still not a center, he's 6-9, and he's not an NBA caliber player. Are you telling me that Mickey is going to have trouble controlling boards against the Jack Cooley's of the world?

Talking about Cooley. And no, I don't think Mickey had a great game. There are a lot of things that don't show up in the box score.

When Mickey got picked 33 and you said , you have no choice but to support him

It's been pure nitpicking since then.  Are you still upset Danny skipped on Alexander?  what is the problem

« Reply #545 on: July 06, 2015, 11:23:44 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Smart very agressive
Rozier can play, should only get better
Mickey played well, undersized, needs to bulk up
Hunter looked lost
JYoung cannot play D bulk or no bulk

This plus:

We're in for a long summer league with no big.
Announcers were brutally bad. Worst I can recall. Ever

« Reply #546 on: July 06, 2015, 11:23:47 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
These guys are very handicapped with no center .

I don't think they can win a game without a center to rebound for them......

Our squad. Is TOO short.

We got Okafor next. :'(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #547 on: July 06, 2015, 11:24:24 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Trying to argue the leading scorer and assist man in the game is having a bad game is high comedy at this point. hahaha
hes playing against mostly D league players. His shooting and inability to get separation at the rim has been terrible. Those two things cant be argued against.

KeepRondo =  the Debbie Downer of Marcus Smart comments ("observations")
I want him to be the next super star also but this game doesnt convince me he's gonna be. Just hoping to see him work on pulling up in the lane. These out of control drives are not working.

Dude, Smart had a monster game and had the most hustle out of anyone. Who would you rather have? Elfrid Payton?
He forced a ton of bad shots. Had a tough time finding clean air when driving and seemed out of control way too much.

Was hoping to see a better performance from him.

Yeah, I hoped he would have a triple double also. After having that first quarter it was obvious he was the only threat. The Jazz big men just sat and watched him as he drove to the paint. He took questionable shots early, but his effort was unmatched.
never said he played terrible. Disappointed he struggled with getting to the rim. You cant really argue that he took some wild shots driving into those d league guys.

Everything else he did was great. 

« Reply #548 on: July 06, 2015, 11:25:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

James Harden has his stat line, he's an MVP candidate. Marcus Smart has this stat line, he's out of control.  ::)

James Harden averages this stat line in the regular season. Smart put it up in Summer League where majority of these players are undrafted FA. I think your logic is a little flawed.

Humour me...

How many guys in the past have put up those type of numbers in summer league?

Because last time I checked the guys we worship today (Lebron, Durant, Wade, Harden, Curry, Cousins, Davis, etc) never averaged 40 points, 30 rebounds and 20 assists when they played in the Summer League.

It's different with guys who just put up the points and nothing else, but when you have guys who put up a stat line like 26/8/5/2 then that is impressive - I don't care if it's summer league, pre-season or an NBA game.  That is straight-out dominance.

« Reply #549 on: July 06, 2015, 11:25:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jordan Mickey, wow

All things considered, I think Mickey was great. A second round pick who was able to finish and had some nice blocks. His motor could be better and maybe rebounding, but its hard to judge on his first summer league game. It was a great start for him. He had the best game for Boston other than Smart, arguably.

Mickey's calm and cool approach might be mistaken for a so so motor. But his style is not crashing around everywhere.   Even though he got overpowered a few times, at least he was there to be overpowered.  Did you see him be out of position tonight?   If he helped on the PNR etc . he is still able to recover utilizing his quickness and explosiveness

« Reply #550 on: July 06, 2015, 11:25:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Jordan Mickey, wow

4 rebounds in 27 minutes is alarming. Especially since he was going up against non-NBA caliber players. Cooley had 13 rebounds in 16 minutes.

« Reply #551 on: July 06, 2015, 11:26:22 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
My take on our guys tonight:

Smart was dominant on offense and defense. He was aggressive and played his game. Shot selection wasn't the greatest, but he penetrated a lot and got to the line. He'll make a great leap this year if he keeps that up.

Young still looks timid and not playing his game out there. Needs to move more off the ball. Still young and it was the first summer league game. He needs to be more aggressive out there.

Didn't get a great read on Rozier. Looks good defensively, and he's super quick and athletic. Pretty good handle. Could be a nice backcourt mate with Smart in a couple of years.

Hunter definitely looks to have a high BBIQ. Reads passing lanes great, and you can tell he's got a good feel for the game. He definitely needs to bulk up some for the NBA, and he needs to learn to play without the ball in his hands all of the time.

Mickey: if he was 3 inches taller with thirty more pounds on him, he could be something special. He's got some skills, but he's got to get stronger to be effective down low and on the boards.

Nice analysis, agree with pretty much all of this!

« Reply #552 on: July 06, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
hes playing against mostly D league players. His shooting and inability to get separation at the rim has been terrible. Those two things cant be argued against.

KeepRondo =  the Debbie Downer of Marcus Smart comments ("observations")
I want him to be the next super star also but this game doesnt convince me he's gonna be. Just hoping to see him work on pulling up in the lane. These out of control drives are not working.

Dude, Smart had a monster game and had the most hustle out of anyone. Who would you rather have? Elfrid Payton?
He forced a ton of bad shots. Had a tough time finding clean air when driving and seemed out of control way too much.

Was hoping to see a better performance from him.

Yeah, I hoped he would have a triple double also. After having that first quarter it was obvious he was the only threat. The Jazz big men just sat and watched him as he drove to the paint. He took questionable shots early, but his effort was unmatched.
never said he played terrible. Disappointed he struggled with getting to the rim. You cant really argue that he took some wild shots driving into those d league guys.

Everything else he did was great.

Harden does the same thing. While Harden is a bit more graceful at it, Smart is bigger and strong enough to bulldoze his way through more than Harden can. I think you might be putting the bar a little too high for Smart right now. With everyone's talk last year that "he can't drive," this was an A++ game for him. Shot selection is a legitimate criticism, though.

« Reply #553 on: July 06, 2015, 11:27:07 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Regardless, that was fun. Feels good to get the juices flowin' again :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #554 on: July 06, 2015, 11:27:49 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Jordan Mickey, wow

4 rebounds in 27 minutes is alarming. Especially since he was going up against non-NBA caliber player. Cooley had 13 rebounds in 16 minutes.
Mickey got out muscled for position. He probably would be better suited to guard stretch fours.