Author Topic: Ranking the best superstar duos right now  (Read 3769 times)

Re: Ranking the best superstar duos right now
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2023, 05:47:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Per the Ringer's top 125 rankings, Phoenix is the first team to have 2 players with Durant at 4 and Booker at 10.  Next is the Lakers with Davis at 11 and Lebron at 12. Then Denver, Jokic 1, Murray 16.  Philly - Embiid 5, Harden 19.  Sacto, Fox 17, Sanonis 20. Miami - Butler 9, Bam 21.  Boston - Tatum 6, Brown 22..

Probably makes more sense to add the ranks together

Phoenix - 14
Denver - 17
Lakers - 23
Philly - 24
Boston - 28
Miami - 30
Clippers - 33
Warriors - 36
Kings - 37
Bucks - 41

Doing it that way doesn't yield a crazy result.  Also, with Harden refusing to play, you can probably safely remove the Sixers

Who was the 2nd player for the Warriors after Steph?

I am surprised they had anyone else ranked that high.
Draymond is #34
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2023, 05:49:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Per the Ringer's top 125 rankings, Phoenix is the first team to have 2 players with Durant at 4 and Booker at 10.  Next is the Lakers with Davis at 11 and Lebron at 12. Then Denver, Jokic 1, Murray 16.  Philly - Embiid 5, Harden 19.  Sacto, Fox 17, Sanonis 20. Miami - Butler 9, Bam 21.  Boston - Tatum 6, Brown 22..

Phoenix - 14
Denver - 17
Lakers - 23
Philly - 24
Boston - 28
Miami - 30
Clippers - 33
Warriors - 36
Kings - 37
Bucks - 41

Doing it that way doesn't yield a crazy result.  Also, with Harden refusing to play, you can probably safely remove the Sixers

Draymond is #34

That is kinda high for Draymond. His defense is awesome but his offense is dodgy. His inability to shoot or score effectively wipes out a lot of his positive contributions.

Interesting. Thanks.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2023, 07:28:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I’ll be very interested in how the older guys fare this season including Durant, harden, Lilliard and Paul George (obviously Steph and Lebron too but I can’t see them falling off a cliff which I think is possible for these other guys. Westbrook was the most recent guy to fall off a cliff mainly from losing his ability to finish off the rim. Chris Paul kind of fell off a cliff last year as well. I would be surprised if Durant has a better season than Tatum (Durant almost much bigger injury risk at this point). How do people predict these older guys fare next season

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2023, 07:46:54 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I think this is probably KD's best chance to win another. I think he will be re-focused and driven. While I do expect Phoenix to manage his minutes, I think that Phoenix will contend. KD is an all time great.

Lillard will somehow get to Miami and be awesome.

PG13 will continue to be a solid player. I have no confidence that Kawhi can stay healthy, so the Clippers will be a middle of the pack Western team.

Harden is embarrassing himself. I hope he sits and Philly ends up trading Embiid, who is ready to start winning playoff games.

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 07:53:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think this is probably KD's best chance to win another. I think he will be re-focused and driven. While I do expect Phoenix to manage his minutes, I think that Phoenix will contend. KD is an all time great.

PG13 will continue to be a solid player. I have no confidence that Kawhi can stay healthy, so the Clippers will be a middle of the pack Western team.

Harden is embarrassing himself. I hope he sits and Philly ends up trading Embiid, who is ready to start winning playoff games.
Embiid's terrible playoff performance has a lot to do with said not winning playoff games. He and Harden are a match-up made in heaven - constantly throwing others under the bus.

That said, Embiid would be fun as a Celtic
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2023, 08:21:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

Phoenix - 14
Denver - 17
Lakers - 23
Philly - 24
Boston - 28
Miami - 30
Clippers - 33
Warriors - 36
Kings - 37
Bucks - 41

Draymond is #34

That is kinda high for Draymond. His defense is awesome but his offense is dodgy. His inability to shoot or score effectively wipes out a lot of his positive contributions.

Interesting. Thanks.
Here is the link.  https://nbarankings.theringer.com/  It was last updated June 14th, so Beal is still a Wizard, Porzingis still a Wizard, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2023, 09:49:56 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Embiid's terrible playoff performance has a lot to do with said not winning playoff games. He and Harden are a match-up made in heaven - constantly throwing others under the bus.

Totally agree. Embiid is officially overrated after the MVP.

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Best duos per Bleacher Report:
1. Durant and Booker - 18.4 (100th), 10.6, 19.2
2. Giannis and Holiday - 14.3 (99th), 11.3, 24.4
3. Jokic and Murray - 12.7 (98th), 9.6, 23.8
4. LeBron and Davis - 6.2 (86th), 11.7, 22.9
5. Doncic and Irving - 4.6 (80th), 11.9, 27.6

I see Durant/Booker, Giannis/Holiday, LeBron/Davis, and Doncic/Irving all as riddled with risk and uncertainty.  Murray has some injury risk but I am fine with having Jokic/Murray as the #1 duo going into the season.   I like Tatum and Brown over all the others though, especially now that they have Porzingis.  He should open things up for Tatum and Brown.  Tatum and Brown have already beaten Giannis and Irving and Durant in various series.

Now if Durant stays healthy, Durant/Booker could be the best.  Same with LeBron/Davis.  But a lot has to go right for either to happen.  And I can't really see any scenario where Doncic/Irving is better.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2023, 11:30:50 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

Totally agree. Embiid is officially overrated after the MVP.

And it does not appear that Embiid/Harden is even a duo anymore.  It is now going to be Embiid/Maxey, which if Embiid can stay healthy, is still a pretty good duo.  But I think Maxey is going to turn out to be a much better #3 than #2.