Author Topic: Demarcus Cousins to be arrested  (Read 9445 times)

Re: Demarcus Cousins to be arrested
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2019, 09:15:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
None of it makes it fine and dandy to tell your child's mother you're going to put a bullet through her brain. At all.

TP

I am always surprised by both the hypocrisy and the lack of imagination possessed by the condemnatory masses.

At the end of the day you're simply defending a guy who lost his cool and threatened to kill someone.   Which I would guess most of us think this is wrong. 

Finally - are you all prepared to swear (not here on the Internet where everyone has a six pack a giant penis and a million dollars) that you've NEVER spoken in anger? You've never said something you regret?

Of course, we all have but where I live threatening someone will get you involved with the law really quickly.

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'm with Roy on this one.  A 3rd Degree Misdemeanor is not exactly a major crime.  Especially when you make a threat in a heated argument about your son not being allowed to attend your wedding.  I'm guessing this is a giant nothing-burger that will go away completely.  You may actually have to intent with that charge and that would be a difficult one to prove (if intent is required).

Now if there was physical violence in the past, that is something else, but there apparently isn't even a police report about that, so who knows what happened.

Yeah, but the threat was to put a bullet through her head.   That's not cool.
that doesn't strike me as any different than all kinds of things that people say in heated conversations over the phone.  Unless he has pointed a gun at her in the past or something like that, it really is a nothing-burger.

Strongly disagree.  That is specifically very threatening.
sure, but no different than any other type of threat people say on the phone that they have no intention of carrying out.  This is a giant nothing burger.

You know his intentions? I think you are holding strong to this nothing burger because of your world view on women using children as a weapon against dads. Yup that sucks but we all have a legal system that Mr. Cousins has enough resources to use. Maybe legally this is a nothing burger but as a society we shouldn't let this be a nothing burger. I don't want any man threatening any woman with violence because it defeats the purpose of being a man in the first place.
I have no idea his intentions, but it is an element in the 3rd degree misdemeanor he was charged with.  The fact that they charged him with 3rd degree misdemeanor weighs pretty heavily that they didn't take it as an actual threat to kill or he would have been charged much more severely.  3rd degree misdemeanors are nothing. Things like public intoxication, disorderly conduct, etc.

It has nothing to do with my world view at all, it is quite simply my experience as a lawyer that leads me to the conclusion this is a giant pile of nothing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2019, 12:18:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I am kind of confused by the amount of people defending this. I definitely have never told someone I am going to put a bullet in their head, argument or not. Is this something other people regularly say in heated arguments? That thought wouldn't even cross my head to say.

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I always thought he was talented basketball player, but in the grand scheme of things a somewhat weak person as a whole. He confirmed my initial assessment many times in the last 4-5 years. He confirmed that he never was a Celtic material.
I don't think he is evil, just that he isn't a well rounded person.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I am kind of confused by the amount of people defending this. I definitely have never told someone I am going to put a bullet in their head, argument or not. Is this something other people regularly say in heated arguments? That thought wouldn't even cross my head to say.

I am confused as well.

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I am confused as well.
Well let's be clear, two of those who are "defending" the behavior aren't "defending" him but are, as lawyers, stating what they see legally as they may have had many clients in similar situations.

Legally, a threat like that is a misdemeanor and lawyers probably see tons of different threats and see very little, if anything, that comes out of these types of situations but a possible restraining order and slap on the wrist.

I think looking at this from that perspective isn't "defending" Cousins actions as much it is painting the entire charge into the bigger picture, which is people in domestic situations threaten each other all the time in many different ways and most of that stuff is just words in the heat of the moment.

Now, I personally think the threat of gun violence might escalate that to a different level, but, what do I know? I am not in court seeing how prevalent such threats are and, in most cases, how they are just empty words in the heat of a fight, so maybe I am wrong. But in today's society where we are seeing such gun violence and people ahead of attacks making threats of what they are going to do, I think this should be looked at in a different light. A 6'10" ridiculous physical specimen of a human being didn't say he was going to slap her silly. Nope he went straight to shooting her. That bothers me.

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I always thought he was talented basketball player, but in the grand scheme of things a somewhat weak person as a whole. He confirmed my initial assessment many times in the last 4-5 years. He confirmed that he never was a Celtic material.
I don't think he is evil, just that he isn't a well rounded person.

Yeah, I never thought he was evil, but always HATED his attitude. Even in his best days - or should I say, especially in his best days - he always seemed angry (on the court) in the wrong way and was definitely a whiner.

I actually really started to like him a lot more this past year with GSW, thought he had grown as a person and was ready to move on with his life. I don't necessarily think he meant anything by this threat, but it is never a good look to go to this extreme.

I wouldn't say it's over for Cousins, but his days of being a 'star' are over. Hopefully, for his sake, he can work through his rehab, calm down, and try to make the best of it. He is a very very lucky individual - I would hope he comes to realize this.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:51:40 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I am confused as well.
Well let's be clear, two of those who are "defending" the behavior aren't "defending" him but are, as lawyers, stating what they see legally as they may have had many clients in similar situations.

Legally, a threat like that is a misdemeanor and lawyers probably see tons of different threats and see very little, if anything, that comes out of these types of situations but a possible restraining order and slap on the wrist.

I think looking at this from that perspective isn't "defending" Cousins actions as much it is painting the entire charge into the bigger picture, which is people in domestic situations threaten each other all the time in many different ways and most of that stuff is just words in the heat of the moment.

Now, I personally think the threat of gun violence might escalate that to a different level, but, what do I know? I am not in court seeing how prevalent such threats are and, in most cases, how they are just empty words in the heat of a fight, so maybe I am wrong. But in today's society where we are seeing such gun violence and people ahead of attacks making threats of what they are going to do, I think this should be looked at in a different light. A 6'10" ridiculous physical specimen of a human being didn't say he was going to slap her silly. Nope he went straight to shooting her. That bothers me.

I wasn’t referring to Moranis or Roy.

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I am confused as well.

I wasn’t referring to Moranis or Roy.
That's cool but that wasn't clear, which is why I brought their POV's up.

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2019, 12:20:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I am confused as well.

I got you Nick, thank you for clarifying. TP