Author Topic: Demarcus Cousins to be arrested  (Read 9433 times)

Re: Demarcus Cousins to be arrested
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 02:40:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Anyone on this site willing to admit that they wanted Boogie on the Celtics in the worst way, just 3 years ago?

All together let's say it ...Thank You Mr. Danny.
I did 100%

After he got traded to NOLA I was very bummed.

He turned out to be right there.

That said, I don’t think the injuries he’s suffered were particularly predictable. After the Achilles he was a much higher risk but even then he’s had bad luck.

Since leaving Sacramento he’s been a part of 0 chemistry or attitude issues and I had hoped we would sign him as I was expecting a mini return to form an extra year removed from that Achilles.

He’s a brilliantly talented player.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 02:41:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Anyone on this site willing to admit that they wanted Boogie on the Celtics in the worst way, just 3 years ago?

Yup, 3 posts up from yours.  ;)

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 03:00:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Talking bout a guy who career and life is in a downfall..injuries and now this

Yep.  His career arc:

All-NBA team; dreams of supermax deal;

Trade;

Torn Achilles;

MLE contract (1 year) but easy ring;

Torn quad, no ring;

Vet minimum;

Torn ACL;

Arrest warrant.

he has about hit rock bottom .   Life can build ya up and just as quick tear ya down .

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 03:11:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm with Roy on this one.  A 3rd Degree Misdemeanor is not exactly a major crime.  Especially when you make a threat in a heated argument about your son not being allowed to attend your wedding.  I'm guessing this is a giant nothing-burger that will go away completely.  You may actually have to intent with that charge and that would be a difficult one to prove (if intent is required).

Now if there was physical violence in the past, that is something else, but there apparently isn't even a police report about that, so who knows what happened.

Yeah, but the threat was to put a bullet through her head.   That's not cool.
that doesn't strike me as any different than all kinds of things that people say in heated conversations over the phone.  Unless he has pointed a gun at her in the past or something like that, it really is a nothing-burger. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yep, thank you Danny. I think it's also pretty telling when he was available in trade (while with SAC) and then again during FA 1+ year ago, there weren't many teams after him. Pelicans traded for him while not giving up too much and then obviously the Warriors signed him as they seemed to be the only team who even offered him something. I'm sure the injuries were a factor but I'm guessing his locker room reputation isn't great either.
Hield, Evans, Galloway, a pick that ended up 10th (Zach Collins), and a pick that ended up 34th (Frank Mason) is actually a fair amount of value. 

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
that doesn't strike me as any different than all kinds of things that people say in heated conversations over the phone.  Unless he has pointed a gun at her in the past or something like that, it really is a nothing-burger.

Thankfully many states do not agree with you about the seriousness of threats.

A criminal threat, sometimes known as the terrorist threat, malicious harassment, or by other terms, occurs when someone threatens to kill or physically
harm someone else.
Communication

A criminal threat involves one person threatening someone else with physical harm. The threat must be communicated in some way, though it doesn't necessarily have to be verbal. A person can make a threat through email, text message, or even through non-verbal body language such as gestures or movements. However, some states require written or verbal threats, and in those states gestures are not enough.
Fear and Intent

Criminal threats are made with the intention to place someone in fear of injury or death. However, it isn't necessary for a victim to actually experience fear or terror. Rather, it's the intention of the person making the threat that matters. The intent of a person who makes threats is usually determined by the circumstances surrounding the case.
Specificity and Reasonableness

You cannot commit a criminal threat if the threat is vague or unreasonable. The threat must be capable of making the people who hear it feel as if they might be hurt, and conclude that the threat is credible, real, and imminent. If, for example, you threaten to blow up the world unless your bartender doesn't bring your drink to you immediately, no reasonable person hearing it would believe the threat was real. On the other hand, if you walk into a store with a gun and threaten to shoot the clerk unless she gives you a refund, such a threat is credible and specific.
Assault

The crime of assault, in some states, is very similar to criminal threats. An assault occurs when a person either attempts to physically injure someone else, or uses threats of force accompanied by threatening actions. Words alone are usually not enough to commit an assault, and some sort of physical action is typically required. For example, threatening to punch someone is usually not an assault. However, making the threats and then approaching the person in a threatening manner does qualify as assault. So, the same conduct that is considered a criminal threat in one state may be classified as an assault in another.
Penalties

A court can impose several possible penalties on someone who was convicted of making criminal threats. Depending on the state, a criminal threat can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony offense. While felony offenses are more serious than misdemeanors, either of them can result in incarceration, fines, and other penalties.

Prison or jail. Anyone convicted of making a criminal threat faces a substantial time in jail or prison. A misdemeanor conviction can result in up to a year in county jail, while felony convictions can impose sentences of five years or more. In some instances, a terrorist threat can result in a sentence that lasts decades.
    Fines. The fine for making criminal threats also varies depending on the state and the circumstances of the case. A misdemeanor conviction might bring a fine of up to $1,000, though more is possible in some situations. Felony convictions can have fines that exceed $10,000.
    Probation. A court may sentence someone convicted of making criminal threats to probation. Probation typically lasts at least 12 months, during which time you must comply with specific probation conditions. Common conditions include maintaining employment, asking the court or your probation officer's permission before you move or leave the state, and not committing any more crimes.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Criminal-Threats.htm

You may be right about nothing coming of this but I hope you're wrong because stuff like this should not happen to folks in this day and age. 

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 11:31:39 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

A criminal threat, sometimes known as the terrorist threat, malicious harassment, or by other terms, occurs when someone threatens to kill or physically
harm someone else.
Communication

A criminal threat involves one person threatening someone else with physical harm. The threat must be communicated in some way, though it doesn't necessarily have to be verbal. A person can make a threat through email, text message, or even through non-verbal body language such as gestures or movements. However, some states require written or verbal threats, and in those states gestures are not enough.
Fear and Intent

Criminal threats are made with the intention to place someone in fear of injury or death. However, it isn't necessary for a victim to actually experience fear or terror. Rather, it's the intention of the person making the threat that matters. The intent of a person who makes threats is usually determined by the circumstances surrounding the case.

You cannot commit a criminal threat if the threat is vague or unreasonable. The threat must be capable of making the people who hear it feel as if they might be hurt, and conclude that the threat is credible, real, and imminent. If, for example, you threaten to blow up the world unless your bartender doesn't bring your drink to you immediately, no reasonable person hearing it would believe the threat was real. On the other hand, if you walk into a store with a gun and threaten to shoot the clerk unless she gives you a refund, such a threat is credible and specific.
Assault

The crime of assault, in some states, is very similar to criminal threats. An assault occurs when a person either attempts to physically injure someone else, or uses threats of force accompanied by threatening actions. Words alone are usually not enough to commit an assault, and some sort of physical action is typically required. For example, threatening to punch someone is usually not an assault. However, making the threats and then approaching the person in a threatening manner does qualify as assault. So, the same conduct that is considered a criminal threat in one state may be classified as an assault in another.
Penalties

A court can impose several possible penalties on someone who was convicted of making criminal threats. Depending on the state, a criminal threat can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony offense. While felony offenses are more serious than misdemeanors, either of them can result in incarceration, fines, and other penalties.

Prison or jail. Anyone convicted of making a criminal threat faces a substantial time in jail or prison. A misdemeanor conviction can result in up to a year in county jail, while felony convictions can impose sentences of five years or more. In some instances, a terrorist threat can result in a sentence that lasts decades.
    Fines. The fine for making criminal threats also varies depending on the state and the circumstances of the case. A misdemeanor conviction might bring a fine of up to $1,000, though more is possible in some situations. Felony convictions can have fines that exceed $10,000.
    Probation. A court may sentence someone convicted of making criminal threats to probation. Probation typically lasts at least 12 months, during which time you must comply with specific probation conditions. Common conditions include maintaining employment, asking the court or your probation officer's permission before you move or leave the state, and not committing any more crimes.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Criminal-Threats.htm

You may be right about nothing coming of this but I hope you're wrong because stuff like this should not happen to folks in this day and age.

Why don't you have another bowl of soup. This evil witch refused to let the man's son attend his wedding. In my book, that's child abuse. What does that do to their relationship?

Weddings are about family. She's a monster. How is he supposed to react in the face of such evil? What would you recommend he do?  And she was recording the call? Okay he lost his temper but that is some conniving premeditated offal.

Can we grow as a society past the nancy idea that a woman can never be so evil as to justify male anger? Can we agree that words ought to be contextualized before a crime is committed?  I mean do we really believe he was going to shoot her? I don't. He was set to attend his own wedding.

You know what I do believe? I believe somebody was jealous. And some deeply unscrupulous prosecutor is mining this situation for career advancement.

And don't get me wrong - I've always hated Boogie and never wanted him in Green. But this witch hunt culture is WRONG.

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 12:04:28 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Now the Lakers need another Center; Dwight Howard ain't cutting it to start lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 05:15:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Now the Lakers need another Center; Dwight Howard ain't cutting it to start lol
Don't they still have JaVale McYEE lol (TP to anyone who gets the yee reference)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 06:05:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why don't you have another bowl of soup. This evil witch refused to let the man's son attend his wedding. In my book, that's child abuse. What does that do to their relationship?

Weddings are about family. She's a monster. How is he supposed to react in the face of such evil? What would you recommend he do?  And she was recording the call? Okay he lost his temper but that is some conniving premeditated offal.

Can we grow as a society past the nancy idea that a woman can never be so evil as to justify male anger? Can we agree that words ought to be contextualized before a crime is committed?  I mean do we really believe he was going to shoot her? I don't. He was set to attend his own wedding.

You know what I do believe? I believe somebody was jealous. And some deeply unscrupulous prosecutor is mining this situation for career advancement.

And don't get me wrong - I've always hated Boogie and never wanted him in Green. But this witch hunt culture is WRONG.

So you think it is ok, if someone is a bad person, to threaten to kill them?  I don't and is threatening to put bullets into people about family,  ok?   She was seeking a restraining order, and has has a history of choking her. 

I am not saying his anger is not justified, I actually believe most anger is and that anger is a normal human emotion.   It is how we act upon it, that defines us.    I am not defending her actions but rather, criticizing his comments.   There is righteous anger, but is threatening to kill people, ok?   

As for always taken the women's side that really does not apply to me, at all.   I think while there are many cases of legit me too stuff, it is has been used to gain edges in divorces and also used to try to destroy people politically.  You don't have to worry about me being part of the witch hunt culture I don't like it as well.  The nancy comments are also humorous have you ever harmed someone in the service of your country, I have.   I agree society in general is full of wimps today.   But here we have a guy with size, who has history of violence with her, threatening a woman half his size.   Real manly, stuff, bud.

We have laws for a reason and one of them is to keep order and protect society at general.   I get it was the heat of the moments and stuff. 
He sounded calm but threated to take it to another level and did threaten to put a bullet in her had.  Here is a link to the audio.   

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1166266600699285510

How do you know he never meant it?   Are you Prof. Xavier and you can read his mind?   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:29:42 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 12:14:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

harm someone else.
Communication

Fear and Intent

Assault

Penalties

intent actually matters in what you posted.  A heated phone conversation with them hundreds of miles apart is a giant nothing burger without significant past conduct making the threat actually a real one. 

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How do you know he never meant it?   Are you Prof. Xavier and you can read his mind?

You’ve got that backward. It’s the prosecution‘s duty to prove all elements of a crime, not the defendant’s.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

You’ve got that backward. It’s the prosecution‘s duty to prove all elements of a crime, not the defendant’s.
^this.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm with Roy on this one.  A 3rd Degree Misdemeanor is not exactly a major crime.  Especially when you make a threat in a heated argument about your son not being allowed to attend your wedding.  I'm guessing this is a giant nothing-burger that will go away completely.  You may actually have to intent with that charge and that would be a difficult one to prove (if intent is required).

Now if there was physical violence in the past, that is something else, but there apparently isn't even a police report about that, so who knows what happened.

Strongly disagree.  That is specifically very threatening. 

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2019, 02:02:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Strongly disagree.  That is specifically very threatening.
sure, but no different than any other type of threat people say on the phone that they have no intention of carrying out.  This is a giant nothing burger.