Author Topic: would a young Shaq be able to dominate in the modern nba?  (Read 13755 times)

would a young Shaq be able to dominate in the modern nba?
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:43:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
what do you guys think?

Re: would a young Shaq be able to dominate in the modern nba?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 10:49:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 10:56:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Without a doubt. His physical attributes puts him as MVP caliber in any era
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Absolutely.

Shaq was a major gamechanger. He changed how the teams defended, he changed how the game is being called, he is also a reason why so many stiffs got huge contract or tall busts getting drafted.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yes.

Without a doubt. His physical attributes puts him as MVP caliber in any era

So then how would the NBA landscape adjust?

Right now, the nba is trending towards stretch 5s

A Shaq type dominant talent, defies this trend....as more play would happen inside the paint.   And though "hack a shaq" produced lots of FT trips, he was an inefficient free throw shooter

Lastly would kids/HS center prospects go back to bulking up vs stretching it ?

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:33:24 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He would without a doubt. The great 90s center who'd be less great in the modern game imo would be Olajuwon, whose iso game would be severely hampered with the abolition of the illegal defense rule. He would have to adapt by using his face up game a lot more, which is honestly inefficient when you compare it to the post game of Shaq (who'd power through double teams easily), the face up game of Robinson (he's the best shooter out of the four great 90s centers and had the speed of an SF as a 7'1 guy to drive inside and draw fouls) and Ewing (not to say Ewing would be better, but he was used in quite a modern way in New York in his prime as a guy to pass out to open shooters with his gravity inside than be an iso machine, imo he'd suffer less of a hit in the modern game).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:43:03 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 11:57:00 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Absolutely.

Some people forget, Shaq wasn't just big.  When he was young he was actually impressively athletic and ran the floor pretty [dang] well or a guy his size. He also had very good footwork and was a pretty competent passer. Not to mention his elite defensive ability and dominance on the boards.

I really hope that another dominant "shaq like" big comes along to change the league, because truth bet told I'm kinda tired of watching every game become a three point fest.  I feel this is the most "cheap" basketball has ever been.  So many teams lack simple fundamentals and there are too many players and teams out there that just force feed three point jumpers at their peril.

The modern rules have effectively enabled this, and it's taken a lot of fun and balance out of the game.  Before if you wanted to win, you needed a balanced attack.  You needed bigs who could control the paint, you needed a point guard who could create players, you needed a guy who could create shots, you needed a player or two who could hit the three.

Now you just stick 5 shooters on the floor and let them rain. I know a lot of people like it, but I just feel the entire game now feels like a group of kids playing NBA 2K19 - first ting they do is just chuck up threes with whoever has the ball. 

He would without a doubt. The great 90s center who'd be less great in the modern game imo would be Olajuwon, whose iso game would be severely hampered with the abolition of the illegal defense rule. He would have to adapt by using his face up game a lot more, which is honestly inefficient when you compare it to the post game of Shaq (who'd power through double teams easily), the face up game of Robinson (he's the best shooter out of the four great 90s centers and had the speed of an SF as a 7'1 guy to drive inside and draw fouls) and Ewing (not to say Ewing would be better, but he was used in quite a modern way in New York in his prime as a guy to pass out to open shooters with his gravity inside than be an iso machine, imo he'd suffer less of a hit in the modern game).

I have to disagree with you there.

Hakeem may well be the single most skilled big man the NBA has ever seen.  His agility, footwork, ball handling skills were among the best I've ever seen from a big man and he also had an elite set of post moves and a pretty impressive jumper.  He had every offensive skill imaginable.

You look at today's NBA and watch how guys like Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis and Joel Embiid have dominated against match-ups.  Hakeem was better then any of them.  If Hakeem was in the NBA today he may well be the most dominant player in the league.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:03:46 AM by Muzzy66 »

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 12:18:51 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Hakeem may well be the single most skilled big man the NBA has ever seen.  His agility, footwork, ball handling skills were among the best I've ever seen from a big man and he also had an elite set of post moves and a pretty impressive jumper.  He had every offensive skill imaginable.

You look at today's NBA and watch how guys like Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis and Joel Embiid have dominated against match-ups.  Hakeem was better then any of them.  If Hakeem was in the NBA today he may well be the most dominant player in the league.

Yeah.  No defensive center today has ever seen an opposing player with anywhere near the skill, agility, and moves that Hakeem had.  He would shoot dream-shake fall away baseline jumpers over them all day.  They try to contest and he'll dupe them.  If Joel Embiid reaches his ceiling of talent AND can play 82 games, then he still would be a little short of Hakeem level.

Hakeem had a great mid range jumpshot.  It's what he burned Shaq with in the '95 finals.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 12:23:26 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
As much as I just raved about Hakeem's offense, Shaq gave him a lot of trouble on the other end of the floor in those '95 finals (28pts, 12 reb, 6 ast).  Hakeem often just gave up on possessions when Shaq got deep position and the Rockets had to put Robert Horry on Shaq quite a bit to give Hakeem a rest and prevent from racking up fouls.

And Hakeem was no slouch defensively, he was a 2x DPOY (only 10 of those in league history) including was DPOY that season.

And Shaq hadn't even reached his prime yet.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 12:25:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Absolutely.

Some people forget, Shaq wasn't just big.  When he was young he was actually impressively athletic and ran the floor pretty [dang] well or a guy his size. He also had very good footwork and was a pretty competent passer. Not to mention his elite defensive ability and dominance on the boards.

I really hope that another dominant "shaq like" big comes along to change the league, because truth bet told I'm kinda tired of watching every game become a three point fest.  I feel this is the most "cheap" basketball has ever been.  So many teams lack simple fundamentals and there are too many players and teams out there that just force feed three point jumpers at their peril.

The modern rules have effectively enabled this, and it's taken a lot of fun and balance out of the game.  Before if you wanted to win, you needed a balanced attack.  You needed bigs who could control the paint, you needed a point guard who could create players, you needed a guy who could create shots, you needed a player or two who could hit the three.

Now you just stick 5 shooters on the floor and let them rain. I know a lot of people like it, but I just feel the entire game now feels like a group of kids playing NBA 2K19 - first ting they do is just chuck up threes with whoever has the ball. 

I agree with this

this is why it was so much fun watching Tacko Fall and Carsen Edwards on the floor at the same time

The attack is much more balanced this way

but basketball nerds like CBS, love the 3s. Misses don't matter....since that extra point adds up. Plus less injury/wear and tear scoring the hard way etc

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 12:28:19 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
hehe, just imagine how these skinny dudes would look trying to stop Shaq. Name one player today who could stop him, he'd dust these guys off easily! Even old man Shaq couldn't be stop except by injuries/age/laziness. Yes, young Shaq would be able to defend to 3. EASY WORK!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 02:03:21 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Absolutely.

This.   TP

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 06:40:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Seeing a lot of romanticism with Hakeem lol. He had great post moves, but a big reason as to why he used them to devastate the league to such a level in the 90s was because of illegal defense: players had to either commit to the double and leave a shooter wide open, or they had to stay home and let Hakeem go to work. Hakeem's game of slowly grinding in the post with his moves are not an efficient offense in the modern NBA when you can swarm him with help defense while not completely giving up open threes (as seen in the 1996 Olympics where help defense really bothered him). People say that he could use his ball handling skills and athleticism to run the floor, but he was never a rim runner-his main preference on offense was to slowly get to the block, receive an entry pass and slowly get to work. He'd still be great, but he wouldn't be as amazing as he was in the 90s.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 07:00:42 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
See, it's threads like this one that made me EXTREMELY hesitant to play in our All-Time Fantasy Draft, LOL...

Players like Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem - would dominate in TODAY's NBA, TOMORROW's NBA, the NBA in the year 4000....

This generational nonsense is simply crazy.

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 07:11:58 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Yes.  The MVP this past year was a center who had a poor outside shoot but dominated offensively and defensively around the rim, including really high FG% around the rim.  Sound familiar?  That was Shaq.  Except there are 2 differences - 1) I think Giannis has more room to grow and develop his game, and 2) Shaq was signficantly more physically difficult to guard. 

I believe Steve Kerr was asked about this the other year and his reply was essentially that the league would have to adjust to guarding Shaq, not the other way around.