Author Topic: Tell James Young he can only earn minutes at SF  (Read 4664 times)

Tell James Young he can only earn minutes at SF
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:14:27 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
  I want to see every single guard we have on the team play over Young.  Smart, Avery, Thomas, Rozier, Hunter, and Evan Turner. That puts him 7th on the depth chart.
 The good news is he is 6'6" with a 7 foot wingspan, and he can allegedly shoot, and he's Young in age.    So if he can put on ten pounds of muscle which it looks like he's started to do, and defend SF's which is key. He can earn real minutes on the team.
 If he can't do that, good luck to you. You're going to need it.

Re: Tell James Young he can only earn minutes at SF
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:17:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 Agree or disagree, that we should influence Young to get stronger so he can play SF and actually play basketball here.
 Cause he's not getting many minutes at guard.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:21:28 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  And once again what's the one thing we don't have at SF? A shooter! Jonas will play some minutes there but he's better suited for a stretch four role.
 Where as Young could bring guard skills and shooting with his size to the table. Again has to defend or no minutes for him.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 04:35:02 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I started warming up to the thought of Young as SF. He simply does not have the SG game and it might be better for him in the long run.

Young just do not move like a SG - poor cutting, no off screens action, he is not losing defenders for the open shot. He might be better of in the SF role. At least he rebounds his position well. His frame looks solid enough to carry additional weight.

I like RJ Hunter as the SG prospect a lot more than Young. Smart + RJ might be the perfect fit.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:16:43 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Here is young next problem.  Put him against turner or crowder for minutes.  Now those two are going to get nearly all sf minutes.  Now put young against jj and even hunter for sf minutes. :-[

Young has to play much much better to even be in the nba much less get playing time

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:07:30 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Here is young next problem.  Put him against turner or crowder for minutes.  Now those two are going to get nearly all sf minutes.  Now put young against jj and even hunter for sf minutes. :-[

Young has to play much much better to even be in the nba much less get playing time

Beating Hunter for minutes at SF won't be dificult, he's not even close to being able to defend SFs
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:16:35 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

Beating Hunter for minutes at SF won't be dificult, he's not even close to being able to defend SFs
Agreed. I do not want Hunter to ever play SF. He is a long SG, not forward of any kind. He moves, shoots and distributes like a guard.

Young is not getting any more minutes this year, compared to last year. He is still our youngest team member, still the most underdeveloped. I hope it does not ruin his confidence in the long run.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:38:28 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

He's not really close to anything. I'll be shocked if he turns into an NBA rotation player within the next 2 years.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:41:55 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
  I want to see every single guard we have on the team play over Young.  Smart, Avery, Thomas, Rozier, Hunter, and Evan Turner. That puts him 7th on the depth chart.
 The good news is he is 6'6" with a 7 foot wingspan, and he can allegedly shoot, and he's Young in age.    So if he can put on ten pounds of muscle which it looks like he's started to do, and defend SF's which is key. He can earn real minutes on the team.
 If he can't do that, good luck to you. You're going to need it.

I think he's more likely to keep up with the movement of SFs defensively, and his raw strength is probably coming along nicely. His slower pace of development than hoped for may well direct him into more of the 3 slot.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's more a question whether he can earn minutes at all.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:31:15 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
CBS is a wizard to get last year's team into the playoffs,  but this year we have to focus on development. So a number of things are gonna have to change.

First, if AB has hit his ceiling we need to move both him and Turner.

With Turner gone we can start the development of Young at SF

With AB gone we can move Smart to what seems to be his natural position of SG.

Rozier and IT are the only natural PGs I see on our team.

Lee has to come off the bench in favour of developing KO/Sully

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
It's more a question whether he can earn minutes at all.

Yeah. Any anyone can really 'earn' minutes anywhere, thats the thing about "earning." I don't want him playing point guard but if he came into camp looking like a prime Stockton he would earn the spot.

He's got to beat someone out no matter where you want to play him. Injuries to other guys may be the only way he sees real time. idk. Normally, a guy like him you would make 10 minutes a game for on games you could afford to. But we have a lot of young players. We also have a lot of guys that we don't have locked up long term. So we really don't want the value of those guyd to drop, so I don't think there are going to be many hand outs in terms on minutes. you can bet your ass that Stevens is going to try to win every game he can.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
^That is a good post.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
The thing about Young is, the Celtics drafted him knowing that he wasn't gonna contribute much until his 2nd or 3rd season, at least.

The biggest thing for Young, right now, is for him to be putting in the work. The physical talent is there. Work ethic and drive has always been his biggest question marks. It seems this summer he turned a corner in that regard, gained some muscle and has been working as hard as anyone. That's what's gonna make the difference for him. SL was concerning, but he did show real improvement on D which is vital for him.

If he keeps working the way it seems he has been, the coaches will give him some chances. We need a wing who can score and that's exactly what James Young can become if it all goes correctly for him. The shots will start to fall eventually. It'll be interesting to see if Turner is the guy they move, as some suspect. That would mean Young and Jones III will have a good chance to seize an opportunity.

I may be the last one on the hype train when it comes crashing to a halt, but I like Young's skillset. He could turn into just what we need at the 3.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
CBS is a wizard to get last year's team into the playoffs,  but this year we have to focus on development. So a number of things are gonna have to change.

First, if AB has hit his ceiling we need to move both him and Turner.

With Turner gone we can start the development of Young at SF

With AB gone we can move Smart to what seems to be his natural position of SG.

Rozier and IT are the only natural PGs I see on our team.

Lee has to come off the bench in favour of developing KO/Sully

If the team were switching to that as a primary focus compared to last year, I think Danny would have made different moves in the offseason.