Author Topic: Tea Party...exchange useful everyday information  (Read 28304 times)

Re: Tea Party...exchange useful everyday information
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Kevin Garnett Burger recipe...it's served at Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage in Cambridge, MA.

EDIT: I don't eat red meat..so, I can't comment on the taste or the recipe. I just posted it because I like the name of the dish. :)
barefacedmonk, this sounds delicious.  I bet this would be just as good on chicken, fish, or even Boka Burgers (which I find dry, so usually use salsa on them).     TP for the find.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Kevin Garnett Burger recipe...it's served at Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage in Cambridge, MA.

EDIT: I don't eat red meat..so, I can't comment on the taste or the recipe. I just posted it because I like the name of the dish. :)
barefacedmonk, this sounds delicious.  I bet this would be just as good on chicken, fish, or even Boka Burgers (which I find dry, so usually use salsa on them).     TP for the find.

Thanks TB. If you try it, let us know how it turned out. :)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I have an idea that we have done with our kids and they loved it. When we had a lot of little bits of this and that for leftovers we would have a night for dinner when we played food war.  I'd heat up all the leftovers and then we would play war with cards.  Each person would lay down a card and the person with the high card got to keep the stack AND pick what everyone would have to eat.  So I'd dole out a scoop for each person of that food.(Everyone had a paper plate to make cleanup a bit easier)  We'd play until all the leftovers were gone or someone had all the cards.  They always had a blast playing it and they would always ask to have food wars at least once a week. 

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »

Offline homericepisode

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
How about a spring gnocchi recipe using seasonal veggies? Here's what I'm doing on one of my new catering menus:

Gnocchi, seared broccolini, wild mushrooms, and spring peas with cashew butter

**I can provide my fresh gnocchi recipe for anyone with the time, desire, and nenads to try to make it themselves!!

ingredients:
1 pkg of frozen or dry gnocchi
1 bunch of fresh broccolini, rinsed and patted dry (do not confuse with broccoli rabe!!)
1 package of crimini mushrooms, or wild mushroom blend
1# of fresh english peas
5 springs of fresh thyme
1 stick of salted butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of rough chopped cashews
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt & black pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
nice pecorino or reggiano cheese for garnish

to make the cashew compound butter: soften butter at room temperature (do not heat in microwave). In a small bowl, blend butter, cashews, garlic, picked thyme leaves, lemon juice and a pinch of salt & pepper with a wooden spoon. Stir until homogenous. Tear off a 12" square piece of plastic wrap and spoon out butter into center. Be sure to scrape out all ingredients the best you can and make the rough shape of a log with the butter. Fold the plastic over the log making the bottom edge meet the top edge. Hold on to the sides of the plastic and roll the log away from you until it is rolled up like a "cigar". keep rolling until the log is cylindrical  and uniform, then toss in the freezer for about an hour.

Follow the instructions on the gnocchi box (this will involve boiling or blanching the gnocchi, then shocking in a bath of ice water) Drain well and set aside.

Chop your broccolini into 1.5 x bite-size pieces (include the stems, leaves and florettes, throw nothing away except the rubber band that holds them together) and set aside

Shuck the peas and give them a rinse in cold water

Unless you bought sliced mushrooms, quarter all of the mushrooms you bought

Preheat a large sauce pan or skillet over high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. when oil smokes, carefully add the broccolini and saute about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until soft, about 3-5 more minutes. Season with salt & pepper and keep warm over low heat.

Preheat another skillet or large saute pan and add the remaining oil, wait until it smokes. Turn the heat down to medium-low. carefully add the gnocchi in an even layer in the pan and resist the urge to stir it. after 1 minute, gently shake the pan to loosen up the gnocchi--the under side of them should be browned--if they look too dark, reduce the heat to low, flip them all over to brown the other side.

Take butter from freezer, cut a few 1/2 inch disks and peel away plastic. add to gnocchi pan and lightly toss to melt/distribute butter. add peas.

Put pan of broccolini & mushrooms back on medium heat and melt a few slices of butter in that as well.

Once butter is melted in both pans and food is heated through combine all ingredients in either a bowl or large pot and toss well. S&P to taste. (there will be juices created in the pan with broccolini and mushrooms--do not discard this or drain it off, it must be tossed with the other ingredients to serve as the sauce along with the compound butter)

plate and serve immediately with shavings of cheese that you cut with a vegetable peeler.

if there's butter left over, keep it wrapped in plastic and freeze it, will be good for months and tastes great over chicken, steak & fish.

Wow, sounds great! I may try making this for my husband!! Okay, for me :)

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
When using the google search bar: if you know you want a mp3, pdf, jpg, etc.., just type in “filetype:mp3” (or other file extension) and your search term to find results that are only in that file type.

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
When using the google search bar: if you know you want a mp3, pdf, jpg, etc.., just type in “filetype:mp3” (or other file extension) and your search term to find results that are only in that file type.
Who told you that I was a computer illiterate?  They were right!  Thanks so much for making things easier for me!   
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »

Offline homericepisode

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
Who told you that I was a computer illiterate?  They were right!  Thanks so much for making things easier for me!  
TP. after I read the post, I can't tell if it's clear, so I'll jot down 2 examples...

if you want celtics pics in jpg format, type this in the google search bar: filetype:jpg "Boston Celtics" the quotes around the search term will help the results to be more accurate

if you wanted irs tax forms: filetype:pdf "irs forms"

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Who told you that I was a computer illiterate?  They were right!  Thanks so much for making things easier for me!  
TP. after I read the post, I can't tell if it's clear, so I'll jot down 2 examples...

if you want celtics pics in jpg format, type this in the google search bar: filetype:jpg "Boston Celtics" the quotes around the search term will help the results to be more accurate

if you wanted irs tax forms: filetype:pdf "irs forms"
TP, thanks for clearing it up!

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm guessing nobody else found this as amusing as I did, but they're making chili to top burgers with and the recipe calls for over 80 ounces of ingredients. That would top IMO a lot of burgers. But reading down farther it claims to be a scaled down version of the restaurant recipe. Should list 15 pounds of ground beef as an ingredient and say "serves 30" somewhere?

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson

I'm guessing nobody else found this as amusing as I did, but they're making chili to top burgers with and the recipe calls for over 80 ounces of ingredients. That would top IMO a lot of burgers. But reading down farther it claims to be a scaled down version of the restaurant recipe. Should list 15 pounds of ground beef as an ingredient and say "serves 30" somewhere?
ha ha ha, tim!  I guess I just didn't even think of it.  We have a lot of cookouts around here...clubs and such and often have 60 or 70 members attending.  I also know how to cut down recipes to accommodate just a few people.   I can see where this would strike you funny, though...and if you have 15 lbs. of hamburg, I would hope it would serve more than 30 people.... ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

ha ha ha, tim!  I guess I just didn't even think of it.  We have a lot of cookouts around here...clubs and such and often have 60 or 70 members attending.  I also know how to cut down recipes to accommodate just a few people.   I can see where this would strike you funny, though...and if you have 15 lbs. of hamburg, I would hope it would serve more than 30 people.... ;)

Just to add some humor (one of those nights I guess) I was checking out a few other recipes (I cook on occasion). They have one for steak and cheese that starts with cooking a 22 pound roast. You shave off some meat and add onions and peppers and cheese and make a sandwich. The recipe got a 1 star rating because the person said that there wasn't nearly enough seasoning for 22 pounds of meat. Someone replied that the seasoning listed was for an individual sandwich, *not* the entire roast. Ouch.

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2011, 10:51:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
...and if you have 15 lbs. of hamburg, I would hope it would serve more than 30 people.... ;)

Hey! Don't go throwing around accusations there. The recipe clearly calls for 7 oz burgers. Restaurant portions, you know? It's the Kevin Gsrnett burger, not the Spud Webb burger...

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2011, 07:07:10 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
...and if you have 15 lbs. of hamburg, I would hope it would serve more than 30 people.... ;)

Hey! Don't go throwing around accusations there. The recipe clearly calls for 7 oz burgers. Restaurant portions, you know? It's the Kevin Gsrnett burger, not the Spud Webb burger...

I wasn't accusing YOU...I am the one on a diet!  ;D  ;D
I forgot that this burger was for a 7 foot tall man. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24:11 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Yesterday I discovered a real lifesaver.  A tissue had gotten into the wash and was all over the clothes (dark clothes naturally).  I picked off as much as I could  and threw  them into the dryer.  Much to my surprise, when I took the clothes out of the dryer there was not a trace of tissue on them...it was all stuck to one of  those "Magic Cloth"(micro-fiber) all-purpose cleaning cloths.  

From now on, one of those is going into every load of clothes I wash.  8)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:04:19 PM by thirstyboots18 »
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
We were discussing food on the Weather thread, and I was  reminded of a favorite lunch when I was a kid....a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato bisque.  To make tomato bisque,  heat up 1 can of stewed tomatoes.  Add 1 tsp. of baking soda, (to prevent curdling) and slowly add an equal measure (use the tomato can to measure) of milk.  Add a pat of butter, pepper ,and salt if needed.  Enjoy.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...