Author Topic: Tea Party...exchange useful everyday information  (Read 28303 times)

Re: Tea Party...exchange useful everyday information
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Boy oh boy!!! I just heard a hint on the news I wish I had heard years ago!  If you use Silverware as opposed to stainless (I do for big gatherings) don't dump the water after you boil potatoes.  Put your silver in it and leave it aside until it cools (or a couple hours)  then wash!  It polishes the silver for you!  I haven't tried it yet myself (just heard it) but I HATE polishing silver!   I am going to try it before my next party!  If you or someone you know tries it and it works, let me know.   :)  If this works, and you want to earn points with someone who uses silver...pass it along!  If it is that easy to polish, I might use it more often...

Oh, and I wouldn't have thought of it because...if you are polishing silver, the silver shouldn't touch steel during the process  or it will discolor.  Evidently, with the potato water that is not the case...

TP for the tip.  I absolutely love this thread.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Wow!  I just saw this thread for the first time and skimmed through it!  Great idea TB!  I do a LOT of cooking and baking.  I cook for a family of anywhere from 5-9 daily depending on who is working.   I'll have to read through this when I have more time and then see if I have something I can contribute.  TP for the thread TB :)

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 11:57:02 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
If youre going to paint a room and have more than  one color, dont be cheap, throw the disposable roll after using it. it will generate garbage, but it will save water, time, color misworkings and similar.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 12:45:05 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
If you're looking for a healthier(if you so choose) version of ice cream, take a few bananas and cut them into little pieces then freeze them.  Once frozen put them in a blender (may need to add a little milk) until you get a soft serve type ice cream consistency. 

I like to then add peanut butter and chocolate.

Tastes really good too.

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 08:16:02 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Tried your banana "sorbet" last night...I added a few chocolate chips and some pecans.  The blender didn't work for me, but the food processer did.  It was really good (and my husband loved it, too).  After I mixed it I put it back in the freezer for a while to firm up...Thanks kwit10!  TP
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Glad it worked and you enjoyed it.  When I first heard of this a year ago I was a bit skeptical, but it's very good.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Here's my awesome recipe for everything. Works every time

1. Observe wife watching food network a few days in a row.
2. Make comment like "I sure would like such and such that you do a good job with and also that old lady on the food network was making something really interesting yesterday.
3. Buy a random gift at the local food store like some new cooking device.
4. Let her see you enter house with 2 new bottles of wine.
5. Say out loud....what do you want to eat tomorrow? That thing I make?
6. Early afternoon or evening say you're taking the kid out for like 3 hours for no reason
7 come back after a few hours.
8. Enjoy.

This has really produced some good and consistent results.

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Here's my awesome recipe for everything. Works every time

1. Observe wife watching food network a few days in a row.
2. Make comment like "I sure would like such and such that you do a good job with and also that old lady on the food network was making something really interesting yesterday.
3. Buy a random gift at the local food store like some new cooking device.
4. Let her see you enter house with 2 new bottles of wine.
5. Say out loud....what do you want to eat tomorrow? That thing I make?
6. Early afternoon or evening say you're taking the kid out for like 3 hours for no reason
7 come back after a few hours.
8. Enjoy.

This has really produced some good and consistent results.

My husband cooks all the time now. ;D  I give him little kisses and compliment him on his cooking telling him "honey you really put your foot in it this time!" And sometimes I say, "I want___ for dinner, but mine never comes as good as yours".  Works every time. lol 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
If youre going to paint a room and have more than  one color, dont be cheap, throw the disposable roll after using it. it will generate garbage, but it will save water, time, color misworkings and similar.

On the painting theme ....

Rub baby oil onto your hands before painting. The paint cleans right off after.  I've even seen it in professional painters kit ...
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
IP's Can't Miss Recipe For Cooking Meat!
You can use pork chops/steaks/chicken (breasts are best, bone in or boneless):

Step 1: take large skillet, turn to meduim high, add 3 turns of olive oil. Salt/pepper both sides of meat

2: When oil JUST starts to smoke, add meat. Brown each side. 3-4 mins per side for pork chops, less for chicken and steak.

3: After browning both sides, turn heat up to high, wait 20 seconds, and add 1-2 cups white or red wine (depending on meat, white for chicken/pork, red for beef) (add more if using cooking wine, add less if using drinking wine). Let it cook on high for 2 mins or so, turning the meat at least once as the wine reduces

4) turn heat to medium, add 2-3 cups chicken (or beef if cooking steak) stock or broth. Cover and let cook for 5-10 mins for beef (depending on "doneness" preferred), 15 mins for boneless chicken, or 20 mins for pork or bone-in chicken.

5) remove cover, take out meat + set aside, leave pan full of juices. Turn heat back to med-high and stir to make sure nothing gets stuck and burns. When 8-% of liquid has reduced, add 3-4 tablespoons butter and get ready to make a gravy. I like to add finely chopped onions and shaved garlic, and some more wine, maybe some lemon juice, and let it reduce down again, then spoon it over the pieces of meat + whatever sides.

But, basically the last step is just called a 'reduction sauce', and its a pretty easy and fantastically customizable technique. If you want to learn more here is a link.

It is the easiest "wow your wife" recipe I know. It looks classy if you toss some parsley next to it, but it is just basically braised meat and gravy. Its awesome.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
My favorite Stromboli

Ingredients:

three loaves of frozen bread dough (they tell me pizza dough works).

Filling (or use other combos):

1 lb. Genoa salami,
1 lb. provolone cheese,
package of fresh spinach (well washed) or frozen whole leaf    
           spinach squeezed to eliminate water),
one egg (well mixed to brush loaf)

Directions:  Let bread dough rise in a large  bowl, covered with a cloth to keep away drafts.  Punch down and spread or roll on a floured board) and stretch to a rectangular shape about cookie sheet size.  (It will try to shrink back...just stretch it again as you go.)  Place two rows of the cheese slices, side by side, down the length of dough, two rows of salami on top of that, and top with a layer of spinach (I usually sprinkle with garlic powder or garlic salt).  Roll the loaf up as tight as you can, stretching it as you go (like a jelly roll), and gluing it together with a little water.  Place on cookie sheet.  Brush the rolled loaves with egg wash.  Bake 20 minutes to 35 minutes in a 400 degree oven (until it looks done...well browned).  Slice and eat either hot or cold.  (Makes 3 Strombolis, one per bread dough portion) 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:27:38 PM by thirstyboots18 »
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Hey, guys.  Spring is here, or almost here, and this thread is drying up.  No new imaginative ideas out there to keep me busy?

Recipes?  Living tips? Fun things to do?  Easter is coming, how about ideas for Easter?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hey, guys.  Spring is here, or almost here, and this thread is drying up.  No new imaginative ideas out there to keep me busy?

Recipes?  Living tips? Fun things to do?  Easter is coming, how about ideas for Easter?

Great 5 min dinner for leftover grilled chicken breasts (Or any parts really, but its gotta end up boneless)

1) In a cast iron skillet melt 2 tbsp butter over medium, add 2 mote tblsp olive oil or grapeseed oil. Add chopped onions, garlic. Cook onions, garlic until they're done.

2) Add 3 tblspoons curry powder (hot, sweet, whatever's your preference), and slowly add cup of milk.

3) Cut boneless chicken into bite-sized pieces, and add to pan, put on med-low, cover, and let sit for 10 mins.

4) Strain out chicken while letting the liquid stay in the pan. Add 2 tbl spoons flour to pan slowly..whisking like a crazy person so it doesn't clump.

5) add chicken back in, serve over white jasmine rice.

The recipe is a winner every time, and can be changed any number of ways...basically I turned a regular old white sauce (or bechamel sauce if ya like) into a curry sauce. Super easy, kind of exotic (assuming you don't make indian food much at home), and hard to mess up as long as you're attentive.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2011, 07:19:04 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
How about a spring gnocchi recipe using seasonal veggies? Here's what I'm doing on one of my new catering menus:

Gnocchi, seared broccolini, wild mushrooms, and spring peas with cashew butter

**I can provide my fresh gnocchi recipe for anyone with the time, desire, and nenads to try to make it themselves!!

ingredients:
1 pkg of frozen or dry gnocchi
1 bunch of fresh broccolini, rinsed and patted dry (do not confuse with broccoli rabe!!)
1 package of crimini mushrooms, or wild mushroom blend
1# of fresh english peas
5 springs of fresh thyme
1 stick of salted butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of rough chopped cashews
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt & black pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
nice pecorino or reggiano cheese for garnish

to make the cashew compound butter: soften butter at room temperature (do not heat in microwave). In a small bowl, blend butter, cashews, garlic, picked thyme leaves, lemon juice and a pinch of salt & pepper with a wooden spoon. Stir until homogenous. Tear off a 12" square piece of plastic wrap and spoon out butter into center. Be sure to scrape out all ingredients the best you can and make the rough shape of a log with the butter. Fold the plastic over the log making the bottom edge meet the top edge. Hold on to the sides of the plastic and roll the log away from you until it is rolled up like a "cigar". keep rolling until the log is cylindrical  and uniform, then toss in the freezer for about an hour.

Follow the instructions on the gnocchi box (this will involve boiling or blanching the gnocchi, then shocking in a bath of ice water) Drain well and set aside.

Chop your broccolini into 1.5 x bite-size pieces (include the stems, leaves and florettes, throw nothing away except the rubber band that holds them together) and set aside

Shuck the peas and give them a rinse in cold water

Unless you bought sliced mushrooms, quarter all of the mushrooms you bought

Preheat a large sauce pan or skillet over high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. when oil smokes, carefully add the broccolini and saute about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until soft, about 3-5 more minutes. Season with salt & pepper and keep warm over low heat.

Preheat another skillet or large saute pan and add the remaining oil, wait until it smokes. Turn the heat down to medium-low. carefully add the gnocchi in an even layer in the pan and resist the urge to stir it. after 1 minute, gently shake the pan to loosen up the gnocchi--the under side of them should be browned--if they look too dark, reduce the heat to low, flip them all over to brown the other side.

Take butter from freezer, cut a few 1/2 inch disks and peel away plastic. add to gnocchi pan and lightly toss to melt/distribute butter. add peas.

Put pan of broccolini & mushrooms back on medium heat and melt a few slices of butter in that as well.

Once butter is melted in both pans and food is heated through combine all ingredients in either a bowl or large pot and toss well. S&P to taste. (there will be juices created in the pan with broccolini and mushrooms--do not discard this or drain it off, it must be tossed with the other ingredients to serve as the sauce along with the compound butter)

plate and serve immediately with shavings of cheese that you cut with a vegetable peeler.

if there's butter left over, keep it wrapped in plastic and freeze it, will be good for months and tastes great over chicken, steak & fish.

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2011, 07:40:13 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Kevin Garnett Burger recipe...it's served at Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage in Cambridge, MA.

EDIT: I don't eat red meat..so, I can't comment on the taste or the recipe. I just posted it because I like the name of the dish. :)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi