Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures  (Read 26435 times)

Re: Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 07:27:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I got your back, mi amigo. I love playing Magic but don't consider it a guilty pleasure. Just pleasurable.

Oh course, I would like the games a lot better if I actually owned a Chuck Norris card.

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 03:58:42 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm a Harry Potter addict ... plain and simple. (There - I've said it - the weight has lifted ... my shame is revealed). While raising my two kids, my daughter especially was heavy into HP books, and kept hounding me to read them ... I felt I was much too mature for such childish literature and so kept putting her off. One day I was stuck in my car for 3 1/2 hours with only "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" to entertain me ... so I gave in.

Keep in mind that my favorite reading material has always been hard-core Science Fiction, so this was a stretch, to say the least, as it was not remotely cerebral enough for my tastes ... just something to ease the boredom of waiting. Well, that was it ... I was hooked, and I have spent the years since trying to hide this dark and twisted secret of mine. My kids are now both grown and on their own, and while my daughter still loves Harry Potter, she defers to me when she or a friend has questions about any of the books or movies or info contained therein, (yes - it's that bad)..

I'm a bit befuddled, (to use one of Dumbledore's favorite words), as to why it's so enjoyable - The way Rowling writes? The characters? The setting? The plot and story-line? - I've never really been able to nail down the phenomena, and trust me, it is a phenomena ... there has never been a larger-selling character in the history of entertainment and literature, (another reason I would normally find such a thing distasteful). It's now tradition with my daughter and I, that when a new movie opens, we go at midnight and brave the hysteria and crowds, because we just can't stand the thought of anyone seeing it before us.

This may not seem all that unusual, but if you knew me well and knew the types of "normal" things I get into and the things I avoid, you would know that all this Harry Potter stuff is just completely counter to the type of person I am ... it still shocks and dismays ME, and I'm the one who's doing it! I guess that's why I consider it a "guilty pleasure" ... and why I would only share such info in a rather anonymous place such as this. (God forgive me ... the cat's out of the bag). So shoot me, I love Harry Potter ... I'm one of the "mindless masses" that has been taken in by it's charm and mystique.

I wish now that I'd never been stuck in that car waiting for help, (I blame AAA Road Service), because it has shaken me to the core of my self-esteem. Oh, well ... at least some of the weight of my shame has been lifted by this purging on CelticsBlog, and I thank you to not be too harsh with your judgement of me, (in light of this new revelation of my darker side). Besides, if you tell anyone I know, I will find you ... and the results will be worthy of Voldemort, or any other Death-Eater!

;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:35:04 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 01:07:41 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I got your back, mi amigo. I love playing Magic but don't consider it a guilty pleasure. Just pleasurable.

Oh course, I would like the games a lot better if I actually owned a Chuck Norris card.

yup lol nick that chuck norris card is maybe only beatable by the bruce lee card, yet to be released

p.s. do you ever play on line?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I will never forget the day my highschool friends found my magic the gathering deck from like sixth or seventh grade.

Ironically when I rediscovered my pog collection I relished in it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I still play a bit, but only drafts. no time to actually keep up and make new decks, but i stop by the card shop with some of my buddies every once in awhile and we buy some packs and draft em up.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

I still play a bit, but only drafts. no time to actually keep up and make new decks, but i stop by the card shop with some of my buddies every once in awhile and we buy some packs and draft em up.

I try to play casual but it always crush with my poker nights
I try to go to draft tournies but theyre on weekends and wife will never let me.
I try to play on line but my computer stinks and virus kill my desire
I try to redeem my online card but havent been able to
I wonder if my magician carrer is over... :'(

Nice to be back!

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm a Harry Potter addict ... plain and simple...

I wish now that I'd never been stuck in that car waiting for help, (I blame AAA Road Service), because it has shaken me to the core of my self-esteem.

Hey, if it makes you feel better, my girlfriend got hooked on those books over the summer; after finishing Book 5, she was celebrating a friend's birthday and mentioned to some fellow grad students that she'd been reading them.  They started talking about Harry Potter and one of them casually mentioned that he'd been really down when Dumbledore died.  For those that don't know, this happens in Book 6.

So, my 25 year old, Ph.D. candidate girlfriend, in the middle of a crowded bar, screamed, "DUMBLEDORE DIES?!?!?!" and started crying.  Hahaha, gotta love the girl. 

PS I read and liked all the Potter books too, but I kept my stuff together when old Abnus bit it.  They aren't very intellectual, but it's a terrifically well-realized universe, and nothing to be ashamed of. 

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I'm a Harry Potter addict ... plain and simple...

I wish now that I'd never been stuck in that car waiting for help, (I blame AAA Road Service), because it has shaken me to the core of my self-esteem.

Hey, if it makes you feel better, my girlfriend got hooked on those books over the summer; after finishing Book 5, she was celebrating a friend's birthday and mentioned to some fellow grad students that she'd been reading them.  They started talking about Harry Potter and one of them casually mentioned that he'd been really down when Dumbledore died.  For those that don't know, this happens in Book 6.

So, my 25 year old, Ph.D. candidate girlfriend, in the middle of a crowded bar, screamed, "DUMBLEDORE DIES?!?!?!" and started crying.  Hahaha, gotta love the girl. 

PS I read and liked all the Potter books too, but I kept my stuff together when old Abnus bit it.  They aren't very intellectual, but it's a terrifically well-realized universe, and nothing to be ashamed of. 

DUMBLEDORE DIES!!!!!!!!!!

:'( :'( :'(

Nice to be back!

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 05:09:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Butter Pecan Ice Cream, plain and simple. I could eat an entire half gallon in two days.

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Engaging in sneezing contests with my dogs.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=32606.0
Yup

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »

Kiorrik

Okay, list time.

- I played computergames for insane hours -wasted my education on them- and met my current girlfriend on there.
- I own swords. 2 Katana's and a fantasy-type sword.
- I used to play dungeons and dragons with a bunch of friends, every week, and if they still lived close enough I would do so to this day. Now we gather once a year and either do that, or be dorks in the other way: LAN-party!
- I get up at 2 at night to go and watch the Celtics play, get back in bed at 5 or 6 while I have to go to work at 7 :P
- I eat insane amounts of whatever I can get my hands on (liquorish, meat, junkfood)
- I eat WAY too much McDonnalds (two to three times a week)
- I drink faaaar too much cola/7up etc. It's utterly frustrating to some people that I'm not fat.
- I like: Gilmore girls, Will & Grace and lots of anime.

In short, you guys have no idea how much of a geek I am :') Dunno if all of these are "guilty" pleasures, but believe me, I was ashamed for some of them for a long time.

Shame doesn't quite help you in life though, so I let go of it :P

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593
watching Lebron eat french fries :P
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I'm a Harry Potter addict ... plain and simple.

So shoot me, I love Harry Potter ... I'm one of the "mindless masses" that has been taken in by it's charm and mystique.  if you tell anyone I know, I will find you ... and the results will be worthy of Voldemort, or any other Death-Eater!
;)

I love Harry!  I read them as they came out to/with my older daughter (now in college) and then to my younger one.  Great story, great read -- I am an unabashed fan but certainly respect the shame stemming from lack of alignment with your self-image  ;).    It's like how I feel when I find myself singing to John Denver in the car.  And, yes, at my core -- if honest with myself -- I do like John Denver.

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 06:14:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, list time.

- I played computergames for insane hours -wasted my education on them- and met my current girlfriend on there.
- I used to play dungeons and dragons with a bunch of friends, every week, and if they still lived close enough I would do so to this day. Now we gather once a year and either do that, or be dorks in the other way: LAN-party!
- I get up at 2 at night to go and watch the Celtics play, get back in bed at 5 or 6 while I have to go to work at 7 :P
- I eat insane amounts of whatever I can get my hands on (liquorish, meat, junkfood)
- I drink faaaar too much cola/7up etc. It's utterly frustrating to some people that I'm not fat.

In short, you guys have no idea how much of a geek I am :') Dunno if all of these are "guilty" pleasures, but believe me, I was ashamed for some of them for a long time.

You sound exactly like my 21 year old son. He's not a geek, well, he's finishing off his degree in computer engineering so maybe he is a professional geek. That's cool though. Geeks run the world.

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »

Kiorrik

Okay, list time.

You sound exactly like my 21 year old son. He's not a geek, well, he's finishing off his degree in computer engineering so maybe he is a professional geek. That's cool though. Geeks run the world.

Haven't told you half of it ;) And I'm 27 :') Never grow up!

Peter Pan 'n all that :D