Author Topic: Job offer question  (Read 15951 times)

Re: Job offer question
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
Ya the guy that contacted me was a guy from HR.  My real concern here is that in the job posting all it says they require is a high school degree, but when you look at the posting its very specialized(Accounting) and I don think there is anyway somebody that doesnt have a solid background could do the desired tasks.  So im not sure if it is a typo or what.  But if it isnt I think the possibility of them paying significantly less than what I am looking for is there.  Since they technically may be looking for somebody without a degree.      Hope that makes sense
To answer your question regarding the Job Posting:

The Department of Labor requires that the Minimum Requirements be stated in any Job Description or posting. It is an organization’s responsibility to carve out the absolute lowest level of education/experience required to do the job and reflect that in their posting. For a candidate this can be misleading, however, it prevents organizations from the adverse impact of possibly overinflating the requirements of the position that would therefore discriminate against certain candidates.

Always ask what the Preferred Qualifications are. This sometimes will not be reflected on a posting, but will be discussed in an interview.

Hope this helps clarify why the posting seemed so limited.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2009, 12:27:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

And Also I have only used the doctors appoint reason twice in the 4 months I have been working here and it only required me to leave like half an hour early.  So it wasnt a huge deal, hope I didnt imply I have done it on a regular basis

I understand, but what I was saying is that when you are making a reasonable request (which this is), you are ALWAYS better being straight with your boss (unless they are a total Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.), because by lying, you are not getting anything out of it, but you are introducing a level of risk that doesn't need to be there. 

And just for an example of how this could come back to haunt you, what happens if someone you interview with calls your boss for a reference, and mentions that you had an interview when you were supposed to be at the "Doctor".  Do you think he is going to then give you a good reference?

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2009, 12:33:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Agree I hear ya.  My bosses are good people so I think they will understand.  And probably appreciate me being upfront about everything
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2009, 12:47:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Agree I hear ya.  My bosses are good people so I think they will understand.  And probably appreciate me being upfront about everything

Exactly.  I think too many people assume that their bosses will just get p---ed off if they are honest about looking for a new job.  But if you have been a good worker, and they understand you are moving on to a better position for yourself, then they will almost always appreciate the honesty, and your desire to leave on good terms.  I have seen too many people ruin any relationship (as well as reference) they had with their boss, by never saying a word until they are giving their 2 weeks notice. 

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Exactly.  I think too many people assume that their bosses will just get ****ed off if they are honest about looking for a new job.  But if you have been a good worker, and they understand you are moving on to a better position for yourself, then they will almost always appreciate the honesty, and your desire to leave on good terms.  I have seen too many people ruin any relationship (as well as reference) they had with their boss, by never saying a word until they are giving their 2 weeks notice. 

So currently I am working for the government and have applied for several jobs within my department including my own full time.  And have been declined because veterans applied for the same jobs, so by law they cant interview me.  Do you think I should indicate something like, this would still be my number 1 option but at the same time I have to continue looking for permanent employment.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Exactly.  I think too many people assume that their bosses will just get ****ed off if they are honest about looking for a new job.  But if you have been a good worker, and they understand you are moving on to a better position for yourself, then they will almost always appreciate the honesty, and your desire to leave on good terms.  I have seen too many people ruin any relationship (as well as reference) they had with their boss, by never saying a word until they are giving their 2 weeks notice. 

So currently I am working for the government and have applied for several jobs within my department including my own full time.  And have been declined because veterans applied for the same jobs, so by law they cant interview me.  Do you think I should indicate something like, this would still be my number 1 option but at the same time I have to continue looking for permanent employment.

If it is true, then absolutely.

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
It is haha. 

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me

You've already made it clear to your boss that you are interested in persuing opportunites beyond you current role, which is an excellent first step.

Where you stated you bosses are good people, there could be an added advantage to being upfront regarding your job search.

Good bosses, the one's who try to develop and engage their staff, tend to a.) appeciate the respect given to them by an employee being honest b.)want to do what's in the best interest of their employees when possible.

In this case, maybe your boss could present you for opportunities within his or her own professional network of connections, which most certainly are people in a position to make a hiring decision.

Honesty is the best policy when it comes to your professional life. The rewards can be surprising and are always worthwhile.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

You've already made it clear to your boss that you are interested in persuing opportunites beyond you current role, which is an excellent first step.

Where you stated you bosses are good people, there could be an added advantage to being upfront regarding your job search.

Good bosses, the one's who try to develop and engage their staff, tend to a.) appeciate the respect given to them by an employee being honest b.)want to do what's in the best interest of their employees when possible.

In this case, maybe your boss could present you for opportunities within his or her own professional network of connections, which most certainly are people in a position to make a hiring decision.

Honesty is the best policy when it comes to your professional life. The rewards can be surprising and are always worthwhile.

It never hurt to have a "current" boss recomendation too.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2009, 04:43:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

More than that, as a hiring manager, I would pretty much require if someone has a current job, that I get a reference filled out by their current manager.  It would be a HUGE red flag for me, if they are not one of the references.

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110

More than that, as a hiring manager, I would pretty much require if someone has a current job, that I get a reference filled out by their current manager.  It would be a HUGE red flag for me, if they are not one of the references.
Where I work they won't let your manager give anything other than title and employment dates.  Anything more requires HR approval, which won't come easy unless their officer level.  The bank doesn't want to have to worry about lawsuits....

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2009, 08:37:06 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Hey Bro's

I wanted to get some advice from the people on this blog that have been out in the working world for a while.  I am currently in the running for three positions

1)Pretty good oppurtunity, have had two interviews, both went well and they should be getting back to me on Monday whether or not they want to make an offer.  This is my least favorite of the three but is still a good gig if none of the other two work out.

2)Had the final interview today, it was down to me and one other person, They called later today asking for references, and they gave me an impression like they will be offering on Monday

3) Had one interview so far, they said I was, "one of the most impressive and one of the top candidates they had met with so far and to let them know if I receive another offer."  This is as good of a job as job number 2 and slightly better location for me. 

I never could have dreamed that I could be in this position where I may have two offers at the beginning of the week.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what I should say when it comes to telling a prospective employer that I need time to think about their offer and another prospective employer that I have another offer without sounding over agressive.  And also any advice about possibly deciding between two offers and leveraging them to create the best possible situation.

thanks in advance guys.  I know im asking alot here, but Im hoping the brain trust on her can come through for me again!!

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Hey Bro's

I wanted to get some advice from the people on this blog that have been out in the working world for a while.  I am currently in the running for three positions

1)Pretty good oppurtunity, have had two interviews, both went well and they should be getting back to me on Monday whether or not they want to make an offer.  This is my least favorite of the three but is still a good gig if none of the other two work out.

2)Had the final interview today, it was down to me and one other person, They called later today asking for references, and they gave me an impression like they will be offering on Monday

3) Had one interview so far, they said I was, "one of the most impressive and one of the top candidates they had met with so far and to let them know if I receive another offer."  This is as good of a job as job number 2 and slightly better location for me. 

I never could have dreamed that I could be in this position where I may have two offers at the beginning of the week.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what I should say when it comes to telling a prospective employer that I need time to think about their offer and another prospective employer that I have another offer without sounding over agressive.  And also any advice about possibly deciding between two offers and leveraging them to create the best possible situation.

thanks in advance guys.  I know im asking alot here, but Im hoping the brain trust on her can come through for me again!!

There is nothing wrong with telling someone you have another offer, however, do not expect them to wait for you.  The best thing you can do is be honest with them.  It may help with negotiating, but it also allows you to start off on the right foot with whichever job you end up taking. 

Also, do not assume you will be getting an offer from a job until you actually get it officially.  A lot of things can change very quickly.  So if you are given a deadline to decide about one job, you need to decide if it is worth losing that job to wait for another offer, knowing you may not get it.

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 09:04:19 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Thanks Chris, I was hoping to hear from you. 

Ya I am definitely not taking anything for granted, however I wanted to be prepared.  I am really kind of a rookie when it comes to receiving a job offer.  Most places online say that you shouldn't say yes right away and risk losing some bargaining power.  Job number two is definitely one that I am excited about and almost one I am willing to forgo number 3 for. 

But if given an offer is, "Thank you very much, I am definitely excited about the opportunity but do need some time to think it over, is it alright if I get back to you in a couple of days?" an ok thing to say?

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Thanks Chris, I was hoping to hear from you. 

Ya I am definitely not taking anything for granted, however I wanted to be prepared.  I am really kind of a rookie when it comes to receiving a job offer.  Most places online say that you shouldn't say yes right away and risk losing some bargaining power.  Job number two is definitely one that I am excited about and almost one I am willing to forgo number 3 for. 

But if given an offer is, "Thank you very much, I am definitely excited about the opportunity but do need some time to think it over, is it alright if I get back to you in a couple of days?" an ok thing to say?

Absolutely.  As long as you are giving them a chance to say "actually, we need you to decide by tomorrow", you are fine.  I think the important thing is that you are clear about a time frame.  That allows them to tell you whether it is acceptable for them or not.