Author Topic: Baseball Question  (Read 7817 times)

Re: Baseball Question
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Btw, Olympic Stadium in Montreal was by far the worst stadium I've attended to see a baseball game. 

Went there once back in the late '80s when I was a kid.  What a dump.  However, I did get to see a Orel Hershiser/Mark Langston pitching matchup and remember cheering for Spike Owen who was playing for the Expos at the time.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
So can anyone name the 4 AL players who tied for the league lead in homers in `81 with 22?
Yup

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 02:26:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So can anyone name the 4 AL players who tied for the league lead in homers in `81 with 22?

Jim Rice?  Reggie Jackson?  Eddie Murray?  George Brett?  (Doubtful...  I'm just trying to remember All-stars from around '81)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Jim Rice?  Reggie Jackson?  Eddie Murray?  George Brett?  (Doubtful...  I'm just trying to remember All-stars from around '81)

Murray was one
Yup

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 02:45:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Thus, Joe Mauer is listed at the top of the AL leaders for BA. 

As he should be!! Word!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Thus, Joe Mauer is listed at the top of the AL leaders for BA. 

As he should be!! Word!

on that note, we red sox fans would like to thank you 2 years in advance for the next great import from minn. to play for us.

We will transision him smoothly into our ranks, much like ortiz, KG, and moss. ;D

Just kidding, You know its all love ticket  :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Murray was one

hmmm...no takers?

the other 3 were

Bobby Grich, Tony Armas, & Dewey!
Yup

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
You need 502 plate appearances for a batting title.  Nady only had 400 plate appearances in Pittsburgh, so he's not eligible.

It *is* possible to win a batting title in one league after being traded to another one, though.  This happened with Willie McGee back in 1990, when he led the N.L. in batting average when he was traded.  There, he *did* have enough plate appearances to qualify, so he won the title.  The funny thing there was, he actually finished the season with a lower batting average overall (.324) than the second place finisher in the N.L. (Eddie Murray, with .330).  McGee had hit .335 in the N.L., though, so he won their title.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, Nady will be closer to the NL minimum but he wouldn't rank near the top in that league anyway...not enough time for him to accumulate anywhere close to the minimum in the AL.  I still feel that the rule is unfair though as he won't be rewarded for the good season he is having because he was traded, especially with interleague play is set up nowadays as someone already mentioned.  But I guess the majority of his ABs were in the NL where he wouldn't win the title anyway so I guess it's not that unfair in this instance.

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline RickyD Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I have another baseball question, but I thought I would put it under this topic. How are the Red Sox still making trades? I don't get that. We are way past the trade deadline and then have made two trades. Is it because it involves minor leaguers? Or is it like more of a guidelines than a deadline? I'm a bit confused... Baseball isn't my first sport, but this has perplexed me.

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I have another baseball question, but I thought I would put it under this topic. How are the Red Sox still making trades? I don't get that. We are way past the trade deadline and then have made two trades. Is it because it involves minor leaguers? Or is it like more of a guidelines than a deadline? I'm a bit confused... Baseball isn't my first sport, but this has perplexed me.

The "trade deadline" is essentially the "non-waiver trade deadline".

Here's basically how that works:

Any player can be put on waivers by his team, and the player does not need to be informed.

Other teams have the chance to make a claim on the player during a 47 hour window.

If the player is claimed, the team that placed him on waivers has the option of pulling him back.  If the team pulls him back they can't trade him for 30 days.

If his team decides not to pull him back:

Option 1:  His team can work out a trade with the team that claimed him.  Any player involved in the trade who is on a 40 man roster must go through waivers first.

Option 2:  His team can just dump him and his salary on the team that claimed him, getting no player in return.

Option 3:  No one claims him, and his team is free to trade him to any team.

If more than one team places a claim on a player, the winning claim is awarded based on worst record or the league the claiming team is in. 

Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The other key date is Sept 1..  Players who are not a teams 40 man roster before this deadline are not eligible for post season play with that team.
Yup

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline RickyD Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Roy and Redz, thank you both for the answers! That is much clearer now.